• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Second Round: Pittsburgh Penguins vs. Washington Capitals

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so whats the mechanism :think:

heard Greg Buttons in the cesspool bring up the Nick Ritchie hit on Kris Russell ... concussion spotters decided to pull Russell after the hit he took and apparently he was only winded/lost his breath :noidea:

It's the new "I got my bell rung"...

Sidney Crosby remained in Game 6 on Monday night after crashing head-first into the boards behind the Washington Capitals' net late in the first period.

Crosby, who suffered a concussion on May 1 and missed Game 4, remained for several seconds after the collision before getting up and finishing his shift.

After the game, Penguins head coach Mike Sullivan said Crosby was not checked for a concussion after the incident.

Crosby, who led all Penguins forwards in ice time with 19:57, said he was checked for a head injury but the crash simply knocked the wind out of him.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The quotes I read, Crosby said something like ”the trainers checked me out and cleared me” but was talking in general, not talking about the concussion protocol. Are there different quotes I haven't seen? Because it seems like media is interpreting this a certain way, which might not be what Crosby was saying.

The article I read wasn't as clear on the context if he was talking in general or concussion. Media might've jumped the gun, but I'm sure we'll get clarification today or tomorrow.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The article I read wasn't as clear on the context if he was talking in general or concussion. Media might've jumped the gun, but I'm sure we'll get clarification today or tomorrow.

I read the quotes today, and it definitely sounds like he was just referring to the trainers checking his injury status between periods, not doing a concussion protocol. But I don't hold it against you, as almost every media outlet reported it under that interpretation.

Obviously, most people feel like the concussion spotter protocol is broken, if that play doesn't trigger the process. By the rules, it doesn't surprisingly. I think the protocol is not the right way to handle this anyway, but understand the outrage.

What I do think is silly, is the outrage towards the organization / Crosby. They've never shown any hesitation to sit Crosby out, including two games in this series, and previous post seasons. Why would they start now? It's a lot of armchair doctors stirring sh1t up.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm glad the final night of my bowling league is Wednesday. I won't be watching this game live.

Regarding Crosby, he'll have plenty of time to recover from whatever injury after Wednesday.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good article from The Post on Trotz's good moves this series details two big changes...

Moving Ovechkin to the 3rd line
Ovechkin’s own individual scoring chances went from 1.1 per 60 minutes in Games 1-4 to 7.5 in Games 5 and 6.

Pairing Schmidt with Shattenkirk
Up until this point, Shattenkirk had been skating with Brooks Orpik, who is less fleet of foot than the rest of the blue line corp. The result was six even-strength goals against, none for, in 82 minutes of ice time in the playoffs. The Shattenkirk-Schmidt pairing is the complete opposite: three goals for and none against in 46 minutes with a 9-to-1 scoring chance differential against Pittsburgh.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd counter that Sully's line moves backfired...guentzl not on Crosby's line? Sheary playing like shit...

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd counter that Sully's line moves backfired...guentzl not on Crosby's line? Sheary playing like shit...

Yeah, Sully shouldn't be instructing any of his players to play like shit...

Unless we've been rope-a-doped!!! :scratch:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pens seem to want to make long passes exclusively to advance the puck. The forwards are flying out of the defensive zone, and the defensemen are trying to force passes through to them, and it's not working. Like, at all.

I'm guessing this is the same counterattack scheme they'd been using, but the Caps are reading those passes now. The Pens have enough skaters to carry the puck with control through the neutral zone, and they'd likely be best served getting back to that. If they can make that adjustment, they'll have a chance. But if they keep trying the goal like to blue opposite blue line passes as their only exit strategy, they'll be just as dead in the water as they were yesterday.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pens seem to want to make long passes exclusively to advance the puck. The forwards are flying out of the defensive zone, and the defensemen are trying to force passes through to them, and it's not working. Like, at all.

I'm guessing this is the same counterattack scheme they'd been using, but the Caps are reading those passes now. The Pens have enough skaters to carry the puck with control through the neutral zone, and they'd likely be best served getting back to that. If they can make that adjustment, they'll have a chance. But if they keep trying the goal like to blue opposite blue line passes as their only exit strategy, they'll be just as dead in the water as they were yesterday.

Very good take, agree completely,

So now we see what happens. Hockey is so weird, is there any question that Washington has been the better team through 6 games? Yet here they are, one lucky goal, er make that one more unlucky goal, and they go home. Again. The way the series has gone every Caps fan should feel very confident tonight. But how can we? What happened 10 years ago should have no bearing, but it does.

Jared

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its funny to me that you have two diametrically opposed fan bases, neither of which has any confidence in their team. The two teams, by the way, had the best 2 records in the league.

We (the good guys) have no confidence because we have been outplayed for much of the series.

They (the evil horde) have no confidence because we have basically destroyed this team so many times that they are always waiting for disaster to come a calling again.

Not really anything groundbreaking here, just an observation.

I've already mentally started looking at the bright side of elimination. (more free time, it's just a game anyway, etc. etc. etc)

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No pressure on Pitt...Caps have all the pressure but seemed to be free wheeling and dealing last game. Could be another blow out if it carries over to this game.

In Fleury I trust!

Lets go Pens!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very good take, agree completely,

So now we see what happens. Hockey is so weird, is there any question that Washington has been the better team through 6 games? Yet here they are, one lucky goal, er make that one more unlucky goal, and they go home. Again. The way the series has gone every Caps fan should feel very confident tonight. But how can we? What happened 10 years ago should have no bearing, but it does.

The Pens need to make some sort of adjustment, or else the Caps will steamroll them. But they don't need to dominate, they just need to be in it. I think the Pens are a better counterattack team than the Caps. That could be the difference in a close game. But they need to at least have the chance to counter, so they'll need to do something very different from what they did in game six.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its funny to me that you have two diametrically opposed fan bases, neither of which has any confidence in their team. The two teams, by the way, had the best 2 records in the league.

We (the good guys) have no confidence because we have been outplayed for much of the series.

They (the evil horde) have no confidence because we have basically destroyed this team so many times that they are always waiting for disaster to come a calling again.

I've already mentally started looking at the bright side of elimination. (more free time, it's just a game anyway, etc. etc. etc)

Eh, it's a toss-up to me. There are adjustments the Pens can make to compete better than they have, and the Caps are a deeply talented team playing a system that's working right now. If the Pens adjust, the game will at least be competitive, and if that's the case, anything can happen.

But I'll be missing most of this game because I have a softball game tonight, so at least I won't be quite as stressed out about it...

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I bowl at least one 200 game tonight, I'll know the Pens will win.

They're sunk.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not just the pens. Rags, Canadians etc... game 7's are the kiss death to capital fans no matter who they play.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

They (the evil horde) have no confidence because we have basically destroyed this team so many times that they are always waiting for disaster to come a calling etc)

Some of us have confidence! I think the Caps go and get that win tonight.

Also, the Pens are most definitely a bad guy team. They wear black and employed Matt Cooke the longest.

And the good guys always lose in the middle of the story and look like they are beaten towards the end, only to discover they find a way to win in a dramatic conclusion. Time to slay that dragon.