• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Second Round Pick

LvilleSooner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question for the board: Without looking it up, can anyone tell me the team that "won" the draft last year... AND how they actually did in the season? I'll give you 5 minutes to reply.
I know the draft is eagerly anticipated, Cheered/Jeered. All this is speculation and that's the point I'm making with sarcasm and a little fun. It's all in good fun people. GO Bears!
I've been drinking tonight, so my memory (even when sober) may be a little off - but I wanna say last year's draft day winners were Kansas City, Cincy & Minnesota - maybe Pittsburgh. So - KC notwithstanding, I think I know where you're going with this. Let's not crown anyone's draft day prowess until we actually see them play.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've been drinking tonight, so my memory (even when sober) may be a little off - but I wanna say last year's draft day winners were Kansas City, Cincy & Minnesota - maybe Pittsburgh. So - KC notwithstanding, I think I know where you're going with this. Let's not crown anyone's draft day prowess until we actually see them play.

Bingo! Thanks for playing along! You get the prize! (which is just- a warm fuzzy feeling...it's nice like an internet hug.)
:suds:

LvilleSooner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You get the prize! which is just- a warm fuzzy feeling...

Honored ! I'm a newbie in these parts - Bears fan in Louisville but never posted that much. Good to mix it up with you guys.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't totally understand how Ego fits into the Bears scheme... I'm going to assume as a back up/replacement to Paea. I can only assume Nix's knee isn't well.

The Sutton pick I liked. I'm getting that strange feeling I had when the Bears picked Shea, then picked AJ. Always felt like those two picks should have been swapped. Sutton may end up being the better of these two picks.

The Fuller pick is really starting to warm up on me. Think we nailed a CB for the next 10 years.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't totally understand how Ego fits into the Bears scheme... I'm going to assume as a back up/replacement to Paea. I can only assume Nix's knee isn't well.

The Sutton pick I liked. I'm getting that strange feeling I had when the Bears picked Shea, then picked AJ. Always felt like those two picks should have been swapped. Sutton may end up being the better of these two picks.

The Fuller pick is really starting to warm up on me. Think we nailed a CB for the next 10 years.

Agreed on all fronts here.

Ego is kind of an upside pick. Good news is, we're deep as hell on the D-line now. Allen, Houston, Young, Ratliff, Paea, Izzy, Ego, Sutton. Nice deep rotation of guys. Should help keep the older guys like Ratliff and Allen fresh.

Good riddance to the David Bass's of the world.

A shame we still have Conte and Mundy slotted as our starting safeties at the moment. Ugh… I'm fine with Mundy, but please… can we bring someone in the 4th to beat out Conte while he's on the PUP list during camp?

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what to do with Sutton. He rightly added weight this year because he was too small to be a true DT in the NFL, but to be frank, he was awful. He's too small to be a DT, but when he put on the weight, he lost his explosiveness. He clearly has skill, but finding a place to fit him in will be a challenge.

I'm sorry, but I hate the Ferguson pick. I can't stand it when teams draft college football failures based purely on potential. At the end of the day, he just wasn't very good at LSU. He eats space and gets some tackles, but he never stood out against the pass and was merely average against the run. We can think we can instill a work ethic, but Les Miles and Co. couldn't, and that was before the payday. I pray that he becomes good, but I see a likely bust.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing wrong with a stacked d-line....it was our most depleted position last year and the defense suffered greatly. With what they accomplished in FA, coupled with what they've done so far in the draft, I look forward to a much better D than last year, and team as a whole.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know what to do with Sutton. He rightly added weight this year because he was too small to be a true DT in the NFL, but to be frank, he was awful. He's too small to be a DT, but when he put on the weight, he lost his explosiveness. He clearly has skill, but finding a place to fit him in will be a challenge.

Wait… what? I hear nothing but positive on Sutton.

Pac-12 offensive lineman voted him the best D-lineman in the conference the past two years.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing wrong with a stacked d-line....it was our most depleted position last year and the defense suffered greatly. With what they accomplished in FA, coupled with what they've done so far in the draft, I look forward to a much better D than last year, and team as a whole.

Agreed :suds:

We're in no position to get greedy. All I said going into the off-season was that I want this D to be serviceable this season. That would be a big improvement. And I think if we can stay healthy, we may have that and perhaps a tad more if the D-line plays to their ceiling.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our front four could actually be a strength next year. I think Houston is going to a stud for us and Ratliff was playing pretty good ball towards the end of last year. JA and Young are formidable.

The D is shaping up alright IMO...LBs gotta be the biggest question mark.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wait… what? I hear nothing but positive on Sutton.

Pac-12 offensive lineman voted him the best D-lineman in the conference the past two years.

I saw a lot of his games. He was an All-American type player in 2012, and should have gone pro. He didn't because the feedback he got was that he was too small. He put on weight, and he lost most of his explosiveness. He went from 13 sacks to 3.

He weighed in around 285 as a Junior and about 320 last year. He has a ton of skill, but the Bears need to decide what player they want. Do they think the 285 pound Will Sutton can be good in the NFL, or are they going to take the chance that he can show a quickness at 315+ pounds that he didn't last year?

This dilemma is the only reason Sutton fell out of the first round. He's a great pick if we can figure it out. If not, he won't be an impact player. Either way, it was worth the risk in the 3rd Round.

C

cubzzzfanincali

yeah, no one can accuse Emery of neglecting the D line this year. Signed free agents, drafted rookies...I mean, what the hell do you want?

The reason the Bears defense sucked last year was run defense, not pass defense. Pass defense was mediocre, but workable. It was our run D that was disastrous. Now...to the folks who want to blame that on the FREE SAFETY....the 11th least responsible guy on the D for the performance for the run defense....fine, eat your heart out. If you think Chris Conte was why our run defense sucked, you are a total football idiot. Phil Emery, clearly, is not a total football idiot. He has gon after linemen like a hawk. He may be overzealous...I mean, there are like 13 guys on the roster right now for D line...but so what? He's addressing the worst part of the team. I like that.

I hated the 2012 and 2013 Emery drafts. So far, I love this draft. Keep going Phil.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what are you talking about? Except for BS (who is not exactly known for his accuracy), almost everyone seems pretty happy with the Fuller pick. I think 6340 might be a little let down but that's just because he wanted a safety. Pretty much everyone else seems stoked.

I don't know Ferguson, so I have no opinion of this pick, other than that he is a big guy, and we need a DT for the nose, and he seems like he fits that bill.

I liked the Fuller pick ,BPA. But yeah I'm a disappointed Conte will once again roaming our secondary.Hope he has a pro-bowl year. But doubt it.
Really was a Donald guy. And was hoping for Buccanon in the 2nd. That would have been BEAUTIFUL.
Fuckin STL.:suds:

C

cubzzzfanincali

while I hear you, even if we re-signed Major Wright (please don't), and started Conte and Wright, they will look a lot better this year and get Pro Bowl discussion simply by virtue of the fact that (on paper) most of the front 7 is fixed.

Assuming, of course (cough cough) Shea works out as our strongside linebacker......minor Achilles' heel here folks....prove me wrong Shea....

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
while I hear you, even if we re-signed Major Wright (please don't), and started Conte and Wright, they will look a lot better this year and get Pro Bowl discussion simply by virtue of the fact that (on paper) most of the front 7 is fixed.

Assuming, of course (cough cough) Shea works out as our strongside linebacker......minor Achilles' heel here folks....prove me wrong Shea....

:lol: The front 7 isn't fixed yet. I doubt Shea beats out Bostic for SS LB. A lot will have to be worked out in minny camps & summer camp.
Mundy is probably an up grade from Wright. Though minimal.
But we still have Conte & Steltz as his BU , concerns me. I know Steltz contributes on STs. But I think he and Conte are 1 in the same. They both suck at Safety.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just think it's extremely funny when reading message boards for Chicago Bears fans... Pretty solid that just about EVERYONE has an opinion that WHOEVER they pick- "HE SUCKS!!" And now this Ego Ferguson pick is the next in line to be shamed! EMERY SUCKS!!

You are just starting to sound like GB troll. Every body has a right to their opinion .
You can agree or disagree. Just saying don't knock a whole fan base . On a couple posts.
No wonder the other board you posted on got rid of you.:lol:

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like both guys picked in the 2nd & 3rd rd. Ego will solve most the run problems we had last yr. He's a big fuck who can keep opposing O-Line off our LBs. He's just not a pass rusher YET. The other guy ( pretty blitzed after watching the B- hawks get their ass kicked again) . From the video I've seen on him, reminds me of Melton. Read where he put on weight to change positions . Which was his downfall . He got slower and less productive . But he did it for the TEAM. They asked him to, and he complied.
Just wish we could get a FUCKING SAFETY in the next 4 rds.

leomaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Major Wright is a Buccaneer

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a lot of his games. He was an All-American type player in 2012, and should have gone pro. He didn't because the feedback he got was that he was too small. He put on weight, and he lost most of his explosiveness. He went from 13 sacks to 3.

He weighed in around 285 as a Junior and about 320 last year. He has a ton of skill, but the Bears need to decide what player they want. Do they think the 285 pound Will Sutton can be good in the NFL, or are they going to take the chance that he can show a quickness at 315+ pounds that he didn't last year?

This dilemma is the only reason Sutton fell out of the first round. He's a great pick if we can figure it out. If not, he won't be an impact player. Either way, it was worth the risk in the 3rd Round.

This is what I've been reading as well about Sutton. I've also read he's back down to 290lbs and that it was his coaches that wanted him heavier. >shrugs<

I'm no coach, I'm no GM, but put him back at 285 and turn him loose. This is why I liked this pick, think we got a steal in the 3rd. The Ego pick still has me scratching my head. I understand getting a solid as a rock NT to challenge Paea or play behind him. I just never heard much talk from any experts on Ego. I heard plenty on other NT or big DT's just not Ego. Will have to see how this one pans out.

Emery does manage to draft a bust every now and again, to go along with his hits.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just never heard much talk from any experts on Ego. I heard plenty on other NT or big DT's just not Ego. Will have to see how this one pans out.

Emery does manage to draft a bust every now and again, to go along with his hits.

Yea, well, except for me:

My take? I think the Bears go NT if there isn't a solid 3 tech and move Ratliff over to 3 tech. So Nix (if his knee is right) or Hageman with maybe a drop down for extra pick tossed in. I'm probably more sold on Jernigan as a NT than I am as a 3 tech. At the NFL level, I see him more as a run stopper than I do a slashing in the backfield disrupter (but I've been wrong before).

Or

If the right Safety falls, I could see us taking a Safety then picking up a DT in the second, there are some pretty decent second round DT's that should still be available, like Dominque Easley [Florida], Will Sutton [Arizona St] or Ego Ferguson [LSU].

Went back to look at my draft predictions, feel pretty spot on with what Emery is doing, but then I stumbled upon this... >sigh< had forgotten about him until I re read what I had said. Think I read about him on another board and dropped him into this other thread here.

The thing you have to love is, Emery ended up with TWO of the second rounders on that list.