• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Second cup of Coffee Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, there is nothing wrong (in theory) with ditching the TPP. If Trump is actually serious about re-establishing the manufacturing base in the US then this is maybe a good thing. The problem I see with that is that the big corporations that run Trump and his pals are gonna eat him alive if he starts making them pay employees more than a few rupees a day to make shit.

This won't end well.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In fairness, this was something he said he was going to do as part of his campaign. Whether we agree with him or not specifically, it's not like he just pulled this out of nowhere. In fact, it was probably a part of why he won, because TPP - and NAFTA for that matter - are not popular with the blue-collar rustbelt states.

/Can't believe I even remotely just defended him.
121320.gif

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, there is nothing wrong (in theory) with ditching the TPP. If Trump is actually serious about re-establishing the manufacturing base in the US then this is maybe a good thing. The problem I see with that is that the big corporations that run Trump and his pals are gonna eat him alive if he starts making them pay employees more than a few rupees a day to make shit.

This won't end well.
Here's the thing, though - what are they going to fling at the guy that hasn't been flung at him already?

At this point they would essentially have to frame him for a crime to remove him from office. It's why I think, at least on the economy, he has as much a chance of doing some good as any other president had.

In fairness, this was something he said he was going to do as part of his campaign. Whether we agree with him or not specifically, it's not like he just pulled this out of nowhere. In fact, it was probably a part of why he won, because TPP - and NAFTA for that matter - are not popular with the blue-collar rustbelt states.

/Can't believe I even remotely just defended him.
121320.gif
Canadian media won't shut up about NAFTA, either. I doubt he's coming after the Canada-US trade relationship in any tangible way. The states that elected him are the ones who benefit most from cross-border trade and it's about as mutually beneficial as any such relationship can be.

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point they would essentially have to frame him for a crime to remove him from office. It's why I think, at least on the economy, he has as much a chance of doing some good as any other president had.
His nepotism and isolationist stances are definitely not going to be good for the economy, and that's an understatement.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing, though - what are they going to fling at the guy that hasn't been flung at him already?

Canadian media won't shut up about NAFTA, either. I doubt he's coming after the Canada-US trade relationship in any tangible way. The states that elected him are the ones who benefit most from cross-border trade and it's about as mutually beneficial as any such relationship can be.

They'll take money away from him and his little group of swamp-drainers. Make no mistake, those folks are getting their pockets filled by corporations. If he truly pisses THEM off I'm pretty sure they'll find a way to make life miserable for him. I'd bet on key (haha in some cases I know) staff resignations, followed by these people spilling some beans once they're out of his inner circle.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His nepotism and isolationist stances are definitely not going to be good for the economy, and that's an understatement.
Depends how far he takes it. I think the ultimate goal is to narrow the trade deficit with their biggest partners, chief among them China, Germany and Mexico. It would take an epic trade war to do much damage to the imbalance with China but there are definitely actions that could be taken with the other two that would narrow the deficit while not destroying the economy.

But, of course, all of that would be undone if they truly fuck it up with China. Of course, China needs the US as much as the US needs them so I'm not too concerned about that.

They'll take money away from him and his little group of swamp-drainers. Make no mistake, those folks are getting their pockets filled by corporations. If he truly pisses THEM off I'm pretty sure they'll find a way to make life miserable for him. I'd bet on key (haha in some cases I know) staff resignations, followed by these people spilling some beans once they're out of his inner circle.
I honestly think international businesses will just gang up on his company and wait for the two brats to run crying to daddy.

jstewismybastardson

Lord Shitlord aka El cibernauta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I read that Kushner was meeting Liberal cabinet in Calgary today ... saw one story that intimated they will work on a new deal with outmexico ... couldnt find it again ... Mexico gonna get concacaf'd lol

Canada is not the main target in U.S. trade focus: Trump adviser

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read that Kushner was meeting Liberal cabinet in Calgary today ... saw one story that intimated they will work on a new deal with outmexico ... couldnt find it again ... Mexico gonna get concacaf'd lol

Canada is not the main target in U.S. trade focus: Trump adviser
I remember hearing during the campaign that even if NAFTA was entirely repealed, the US-Canada FTA signed 6 years before NAFTA would still be in effect and we wouldn't see much change anyway.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I remember hearing during the campaign that even if NAFTA was entirely repealed, the US-Canada FTA signed 6 years before NAFTA would still be in effect and we wouldn't see much change anyway.
I don't think many of those states care too much about Canada, because the wages and such paid up there are pretty consistent, so there's no substantial economic benefit to manufacturing in Canada vs. in the US.

The main issue is with Mexico, where the wages are substantially lower, so you can pay someone a fraction of what it would cost in the US or Canada. That's the part of NAFTA that many of those manufacturing states don't like.

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This won't end well.

I dont see it happening at all ... the suckers in the rust belt bought this lie during the campaign ... those unskilled jobs are gone and that industry is in sunset with heavy automation/robotization to offset the higher labo(u)r costs being the only chance of getting those companies to come back to the US.

the double whammy will be the taxation on imports of goods made overseas ... Cheap poorly made products at Walmart that many americans consume will more expensive :ohwell:

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
btw ... 6 month low for Walmart shares today ... potential higher prices, potentially less future sales ... how many unskilled will the countries second largest employer lay off ? :noidea:

what will replace "the plant closed and then I went to work at Walmart" ?

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:wtf:

a short segment from a recent Washington Post piece about Sean Spicer's mouth was really striking a chord. Specifically:

Even when he is not speaking, it works on overdrive, churning through pieces of Orbit cinnamon gum, which he chews and swallows whole. Notwithstanding his line of work, the man just can’t stand a gross-feeling mouth.“Two and a half packs by noon,” said Spicer. “I talked to my doctor about it, he said it’s no problem.”

jstewismybastardson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
damn ... trump killed johnny football before drugs did

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's from 2013, but maybe a bunch of us should follow him and then un-follow him en masse :D

gII0lPf.jpg

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The main issue is with Mexico, where the wages are substantially lower, so you can pay someone a fraction of what it would cost in the US or Canada. That's the part of NAFTA that many of those manufacturing states don't like.

Ironically, if jobs in Mexico start drying up, then more people are going to come here. And probably legally.

Likely taking the jobs because they have experience.

I admit, I will laugh.

I dont see it happening at all ... the suckers in the rust belt bought this lie during the campaign ... those unskilled jobs are gone and that industry is in sunset with heavy automation/robotization to offset the higher labo(u)r costs being the only chance of getting those companies to come back to the US.

the double whammy will be the taxation on imports of goods made overseas ... Cheap poorly made products at Walmart that many americans consume will more expensive :ohwell:

Not to mention the few "skilled" jobs that foreign companies have stood up in the US that will probably dry up because companies that are now making components overseas and having them assembled here will just assemble the whole thing elsewhere and pay the import tariff once instead of on dozens of components individually.

I am looking at you, Toyota, Honda, BMW, Mercedes, Mazda, VW, etc...

what will replace "the plant closed and then I went to work at Walmart" ?

Certainly not welfare because we don't believe in that shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.