• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seattle coming in for three vs Rangers Aug 10-12

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be consistent you should never be in favor of going after a top flight hitter then. That kind of thinking would have said we made a mistake when we signed Beltre. We paid the going rate for a very good hitter then and that is what Rendon got this time.

Comparing Odor and Rendon is worse than comparing apples and oranges. It is more like comparing apples and orangutans.

I was not comparing him to Odor. It is only a example of how many mistakes we have made over paying. Odor is only one. I think you know who others are and how badly the team has been hurt by overpaying. Remember A-Rod. Beltre was a great sign that worked out but he did not get the kind of money Rendon got so don't tell me about apples and oranges.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be consistent you should never be in favor of going after a top flight hitter then. That kind of thinking would have said we made a mistake when we signed Beltre. We paid the going rate for a very good hitter then and that is what Rendon got this time.

Comparing Odor and Rendon is worse than comparing apples and oranges. It is more like comparing apples and orangutans.

From the same free agency season as Beltre:

Carl Crawford: 7 years, $142m ($20.29m/yr)
Jayson Werth: 7 years, $126m ($18m/yr)
Adrian Beltre: 5 years, $80m ($16m/yr)

Seems to me we came in under the "going rate" of what good hitters were getting that offseason.

Also, those first two contracts were complete albatrosses for their teams. And I would suspect the Rendon contract will be as much of one, if not more.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems to me we came in under the "going rate" of what good hitters were getting that offseason.

Also, those first two contracts were complete albatrosses for their teams. And I would suspect the Rendon contract will be as much of one, if not more.
Quite a comparison. Beltre IMO is far better than Rendon especially if you consider the difference in money.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quite a comparison. Beltre IMO is far better than Rendon especially if you consider the difference in money.

The Beltre contract has the luxury of being one of the best FA signings of all time, now that we can look back and see what the Rangers got from it. And I had a hard time thinking people were down on this move, but then I found this:

Rangers To Sign Adrian Beltre

Most of the comments were critical of the signing. "Not worth $16m/year" pops up A LOT. I guess it just goes to show that us baseball fans are idiots :pound::suds:

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Crawford was 2 years younger than the other two so he was going to get more. At the time Werth had had more elite consistency over the previous 5 or 6 years. Even with that being the case he didn't get that much more than Adrian.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Beltre contract has the luxury of being one of the best FA signings of all time, now that we can look back and see what the Rangers got from it. And I had a hard time thinking people were down on this move, but then I found this:

Rangers To Sign Adrian Beltre

Most of the comments were critical of the signing. "Not worth $16m/year" pops up A LOT. I guess it just goes to show that us baseball fans are idiots :pound::suds:
The argument I would always get when I posted we should go after Beltre was that he only performs well in contract years. It didn't make any sense then to me. It is like I said earlier. The ones who argued with me were the JD cheerleaders. They didn't think we could sign him so they were looking for excuses ahead of time. I didn't understand why they needed to do that because I was a JD supporter at the time also. Once we signed him, thoae guys let that argument go because it was no longer needed. Not one of them would post that we made a mistake.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crawford was 2 years younger than the other two so he was going to get more. At the time Werth had had more elite consistency over the previous 5 or 6 years. Even with that being the case he didn't get that much more than Adrian.

Point is Beltre was much more quality for less money and for a long time.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The contracts in 2011 and the contracts in 2020 cannot be compared fairly.

It is easy to say Beltre is far better in hindsight of his contract when Rendon has had only 2 weeks in a crazy season.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Point is Beltre was much more quality for less money and for a long time.
Look at the production in the last 5 or 6 years prior to them signing their contracts. Rendon was far better during those years.

The less money is irrelevant since it was in a different time period. When has contract value for the top players not went up significantly over the course of 9 years , in the free agency era?

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at the production in the last 5 or 6 years prior to them signing their contracts. Rendon was far better during those years.

The less money is irrelevant since it was in a different time period. When has contract value for the top players not went up significantly over the course of 9 years , in the free agency era?

The comparison was between Werth and Crawford. During that time frame we got a better player without selling the farm. That was the point I am making. Big dollars does not mean what you hope to get is what you always get.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Here was the WAR for Beltre and Werth from 2006-2010:

5.4/DNP
3.8/3.0
5.6/3.7
3.3/4.5
7.8/4.5

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What they should be worried about is the fact they will be paying him almost $40m a year from 2023 to 2026.

Will we ever see a time when these salaries will not be paid.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will we ever see a time when these salaries will not be paid.

A guy like Trout - a once in a generation talent -that guy gets that contract. Someone like Tatis, Jr, if he keep performing like he's been, I can see that, when it's his time. You're talking maybe 3 guys (batters) in the whole league who paying $38-40m/year makes sense.

Rendon is not in that group. Never has been, and never will be.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People said that about Beltre too. At least they did when they didn't think we could sign him. In other words, they said that to prepare a defense for JD.
Most fans complaint about Beltre, and there were many who complained, is that he does well in his contract year and wanted us to stay away from him. I think the focus of that was when he was with the Dodgers and far exceeded anything he had done in the previous 6 years. In Seattle he missed about 30 games in his contract year. In Boston he can exceeded all previous seasons put together except that contract year with LA. But in Texas he turned out to be consistently good.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A guy like Trout - a once in a generation talent -that guy gets that contract. Someone like Tatis, Jr, if he keep performing like he's been, I can see that, when it's his time. You're talking maybe 3 guys (batters) in the whole league who paying $38-40m/year makes sense.

Rendon is not in that group. Never has been, and never will be.
I actually struggled with the Trout contract as I felt they should have tried to get a haul for him and get some pitching.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The comparison was between Werth and Crawford. During that time frame we got a better player without selling the farm. That was the point I am making. Big dollars does not mean what you hope to get is what you always get.
My reply, that you just replied to was in response to you mentioning Beltre. You said, "Point is Beltre was much more quality for less money and for a long time." So I pointed out why Beltre was not better quality than Rendon at the point of each of them signing.

Last edited: