• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Season Predictions

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No one else is scared of GT? I dont think VT has stopped the triple option yet. And this team tends to struggle in September.

I haven't decided how I think we will do yet. But having an entire summer to figure out the triple option plus the strength of our D has me feeling confident about that game. Has GT ever won against a competitive team after a long break?

hokiecheme11

Mr. Manager
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only game I'm super worried about is Clemson. Now we show up like we did in Death Valley in 07, and that would be awesome. I think we lose that game and one other early in the year (GT or Cincy imo), and win the ACCCG baby!

hokiehi21

DC sports are cursed
Hoopla Cash
$ 10,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pitt is terrible and has the worst quarterback in FCS and FBS combined. They will be lucky to get triple digits in yards against us.

Cincy could shock though.

The one and only reason why the Pitt game isnt a 100% guaranteed win is because it's the first true road of the season. This team has been shaky in those lately.

2011: 17-10 at ECU
2010: 19-0 at BC. The lone exception, although the offense only found the endzone once.
2009: 34-26 at Duke
2008: 20-17 at UNC
2007: 7-48 at LSU

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'm mostly worried about fsu...mainly because they are the only dominant defense that we'll go up against..their defensive line will get the better of us and their secondary is strong...lt will have to have a great game ... But on the other hand, I have plenty of reasons to believe that our defense will murder another overrated fsu offense and quarterback...and we have them at lane on a Thursday night..

Clemson will put up points but they lost key peeps on a defensive line that owned us..and their offensive line is probably less experienced than ours...if our 2 deep on the d-line is healthy, we will pressure Tajh..
That's when he struggles...plus I just feel like after the flogging that we took from them last season, bud foster has been prepping for them since February

Honestly, there are no other teams that scare me that much..can't sleep on unc or Cincy..would feel better if Miami still had jacory but I think we'll handle them all

But you never know...I just don't think that we lose a stupid game this season because of leadership and solid defense...just wish we could get some early blowouts to get some others reps and to rest our starters enough for that killer stretch at the end

Whatsupppppppp

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only game I'm super worried about is Clemson. Now we show up like we did in Death Valley in 07, and that would be awesome. I think we lose that game and one other early in the year (GT or Cincy imo), and win the ACCCG baby!

Need to watch the 1991 Cotton Bowl Miami victory over Texas for inspiration.

Perhaps the most talked about game ever.

The game was over when the Longhorns took the field, and were met by the entire Miami team calling them out. It was simply a matter of determination by Miami to beat Texas in every way.

Before the kilckoff, the Miami wildcat stated that he would knock out the kickoff return man. He did. It was all Miami from then on, and the Cotton bowl was empty after the third quarter.

Miami committed 9 personal fouls, and over 200 yards in penalties.

The rules regarding taunting and celebrating were initiated after this game, and are still known as the Miami rule.

I can't condone what Miami did after the plays were over, but they spanked Texas at their house, 46-3.

My only point is this game is the best example of what a team can do when motivated beyond any sensible measure.

Miami was simply out of their minds.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The GT will be crucial in all ways imagineable. VT wins, and it is a kick start into the weakest part of the schedule, we lose..the air could be let out of our sails early in the season and they are playing from behind for two months trying to get back into the ACCCG. I like our chances against GT because our team will be healthy, BF will have them preparing for at least two weeks for the triple option (and hopefully some wrinkles/trickery that PJ will throw at him), and the GT Offense may be more prone to make mistakes/turnovers being that it is the first game. I say VT starts 7-0, gets deep into the top 10 with big games at Clemson and FSU late in October and November, they drop one of those and redeem themselves in the ACCCG. Said it on another post/thread. If the offense is clicking and our key players on both sides of the ball stay healthy..it could be a special year.

Saw this on Roanoke Times (AB). Check out the tweets at the bottom of the page. Funny Funny..
http://blogs.roanoke.com/andybitter...-tech-mailbag-plus-a-few-more-news-and-notes/

Lumbee09

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well here it is. We go undefeated during the season. Will be ranked top 2-3 going into the ACC championship. A win will possibly put us in the NC. FSU gets revenge in the ACCCG, shattering our dreams, and we get an at-large bid to a BCS bowl. We win the bowl game and end the season top 3.

LT will get invited to the Heisman ceremony, but will be 4th-5th in voting. Fuller is first team all-American and Gayle is second team. Defense finishes top 5.

HoHumHokie

Stick It In
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well here it is. We go undefeated during the season. Will be ranked top 2-3 going into the ACC championship. A win will possibly put us in the NC. FSU gets revenge in the ACCCG, shattering our dreams, and we get an at-large bid to a BCS bowl. We win the bowl game and end the season top 3.

LT will get invited to the Heisman ceremony, but will be 4th-5th in voting. Fuller is first team all-American and Gayle is second team. Defense finishes top 5.

I'll have one of what you're having!!! :tea:

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
vs GT – Win. Narrow victory in low scoring game
vs Austin Peay – Blowout
@ Pittsburgh – Win, but much closer game than it should be
vs Bowling Green – Win, but again closer than it should be
@ Cincinnati – Win by comfortable margin. We’ve played well at FedEx recently (except 1st quarter vs Boise) but against really good teams.
@ UNCheat – Loss. Everything goes wrong. UNCheat probably pays off refs. Gio Bernard lights us up.
vs Duke – Win by the narrowest of margins. We sleepwalk into this game and almost manage to lose it. Think last year.
@ Clemson – Win. Someone in the locker room steps up and wakes up the team after a near loss to Duke. We beat them in a high scoring game, turning point for our offense.
@ Miami – Blowout. Miami sucks.
vs Florida State – Loss in a low scoring, hard fought game. Similar to Alabama vs LSU game last year.
@ Boston College – Comfortable win.
vs Virginia – Comfortable win.
vs Florida State (ACC Championship) – Win. We exact our revenge in another hard fought, low scoring game and spoil Florida States chance at the MNC.
vs West Virginia (Orange Bowl) – Win. We shut down their spread and do just enough on offense.

12-2 with an Orange bowl victory, but leaves out guys hungry and wanting more. Opener against Bama looming. LT, Fuller, Exum and Collins stick around for another go. Gayle leaves, projected in 1st round.

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I know that talk is cheap .. but I haven't seen this kind of pre-season attitude and swagger from our defense in some time. Hopefully preseason attitude carries out on the field.

Our offense will be good enough to put up points on any team and with LT at the helm, I think we win in more early blowouts this season (by 20 points or more). I think we blow out Peay, Pitt, Bowling Green, Duke, BC, UVA. The GT, Cincy, UNC, Miami games will be tighter, and the Clemson and FSU games will be nailbiters. But we fucking win 'em all and play for all the marbles against WVU (man..I wish THAT would happen).

robV703

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we get some blowouts because we need these guys to get some meaningful game action:

Leal
Caleb
Smiling
Leal
Reeves
Leal
Stanford
Redman
Malleck
oh and Leal.

I swear I read somewhere that Malleck had a good chance to start this year. I think Beamer said something to the effect of "Malleck, he looks like that guy right now." Of course I can never quite tell what Beamer means when he makes statements like that.

Forty_Sixand2

Sleeper Pick
The Nation's Capital (where the news comes from)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I swear I read somewhere that Malleck had a good chance to start this year. I think Beamer said something to the effect of "Malleck, he looks like that guy right now." Of course I can never quite tell what Beamer means when he makes statements like that.

Malleck will play but look for Martin to be the blocking TE and Dunn to be our pass catcher. Dunn and Logan have been working together a ton in the offseason and they have developed something really good. I honestly thought we may see them try and slide Martin inside because he is so good at run blocking and has the size, but I guess not. Redman may also slide inside, down the line.

Sleepy T

....zzzz...
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope we get some blowouts because we need these guys to get some meaningful game action:

Leal
Caleb
Smiling
Leal
Reeves
Leal
Stanford
Redman
Malleck

oh and Leal.

Yes. Leal and the young receivers must get plenty of reps this year. This may determine whether we have a very mediocre offense/8 win season next year (I know..so bad right!) who will rely HEAVILY on the run, or possibly extend the 10 win season even further. Leal has been said to be above average in practice, so hopefully he can continue to develop and he can get some great reps between now and November. If LT stays healthy and bolts, Mark may be the man who runs the show for a coupla years. The coaches seem high and very confident with him.

As far as Dunn goes, (if my memory serves me right) didn't he AND Corey Fuller have very good springs in the receiving game? IMO, They could be major factors catching the ball if DJ can't go Davis can't be more consistent. We have some options there..alot of them somewhat unproven, but there are options..

sparko

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Malleck will play but look for Martin to be the blocking TE and Dunn to be our pass catcher. Dunn and Logan have been working together a ton in the offseason and they have developed something really good. I honestly thought we may see them try and slide Martin inside because he is so good at run blocking and has the size, but I guess not. Redman may also slide inside, down the line.
Virginia and Virginia Tech still have starting jobs on the line when football practices begin in August - dailypress.com

Yup ... According to CFB, he thinks that Malleck may be the best "all-around" TE on the roster .. but it seems obvious that Dunn is a better receiver and Martin a better blocker.

We need some blowouts to get young players some experience, namely in the secondary and offensive line. I also feel like the more we can rest some of these guys, namely OL, the better off we'll be for that horrendous stretch at the end of the season ... and last, the offensive coaches will have more luxury to experiment and see if this pistol idea has any teeth.

Ray

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
vs GT – Win. Narrow victory in low scoring game
vs Austin Peay – Blowout
@ Pittsburgh – Win, but much closer game than it should be
vs Bowling Green – Win, but again closer than it should be
@ Cincinnati – Win by comfortable margin. We’ve played well at FedEx recently (except 1st quarter vs Boise) but against really good teams.
@ UNCheat – Loss. Everything goes wrong. UNCheat probably pays off refs. Gio Bernard lights us up.(Noooooooooooooooo Waaaaaaaaaaaay)
vs Duke – Win by the narrowest of margins. We sleepwalk into this game and almost manage to lose it. Think last year.
@ Clemson – Win.(loss) Someone in the locker room steps up and wakes up the team after a near loss to Duke. We beat them in a high scoring game, turning point for our offense.
@ Miami – Blowout. Miami sucks.
vs Florida State – Loss(win) in a low scoring, hard fought game. Similar to Alabama vs LSU game last year.
@ Boston College – Comfortable win.
vs Virginia – Comfortable win.
vs Florida State (ACC Championship) – Win. We exact our revenge in another hard fought, low scoring game and spoil Florida States chance at the MNC.
vs West Virginia (Orange Bowl) – Win. We shut down their spread and do just enough on offense.

12-2 with an Orange bowl victory, but leaves out guys hungry and wanting more. Opener against Bama looming. LT, Fuller, Exum and Collins stick around for another go. Gayle leaves, projected in 1st round.

clemson beats us if anyone does. i really don't see this team starting out slow, i'm hearing that the player only 7 on 7's are intense and are as energized as ever. add in the Swagger of this defense which in fact maby the best we've ever had, throw ion TF that are just hungry for playing time. and LT and a offense thats is nun less than underrated and every player is looking to prove themselves to the country. This isn't just a ordinary VT team thats 10 wins and call it quits. these guys have a new meaning. and i'm telling youi if roberts is back on KR and vfandyke is as dangerous as they say with tweedy and fuller then look for Beammer Ball to return. i'm TELLING you its back. while i feel we lose 1 game this season. its gonna lead to what could be a even greater year next season. and i think everyone comes back for a NC run next year. Gayle knows whats atstake and i think will put his personal valuse behind for the Team.

#HokieNation4Ever

hokiegrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
clemson beats us if anyone does. i really don't see this team starting out slow, i'm hearing that the player only 7 on 7's are intense and are as energized as ever. add in the Swagger of this defense which in fact maby the best we've ever had, throw ion TF that are just hungry for playing time. and LT and a offense thats is nun less than underrated and every player is looking to prove themselves to the country. This isn't just a ordinary VT team thats 10 wins and call it quits. these guys have a new meaning. and i'm telling youi if roberts is back on KR and vfandyke is as dangerous as they say with tweedy and fuller then look for Beammer Ball to return. i'm TELLING you its back. while i feel we lose 1 game this season. its gonna lead to what could be a even greater year next season. and i think everyone comes back for a NC run next year. Gayle knows whats atstake and i think will put his personal valuse behind for the Team.

#HokieNation4Ever

Clemson lost a lot, and we'll be super motivated and super prepared there. I'm less worried about that game than 2-3 others on the schedule.

And I am having a hard time seeing how next year could be even greater than this one. We will lose our top 3 OTs. Even if nobody leaves early for the NFL, which I would say is a very unlikely possibility, that alone probably hamstrings us for 2013. Hope I'm wrong. As others have said above, I hope there are some huge blowouts this year so we're able to get Goins and Shuman some good reps...

2012 is our year. Tough, tough schedule, but we have the kind of team that can make it through. Will they? We shall see.

dngrcnnn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll only make 1 prediction for this season, but it's damn near a lock. I'm going to scream at my TV, and consider chucking a beer bottle through it. But reason will win in the end and I'll probably just knock it over vehemently.

Chrish1023

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll only make 1 prediction for this season, but it's damn near a lock. I'm going to scream at my TV, and consider chucking a beer bottle through it. But reason will win in the end and I'll probably just knock it over vehemently.

Truer words were never spoken. Except the cooler heads prevailing part. When those refs were fucking us over in the ACCCG last year, I might have smashed something had I not been at the game.