• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sean Avery will be on Dancing With The Stars

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be sporting my # 19 and watching intently.

He was a good player when he was here, he kept things under control overall in terms of the antics but was an effective player on the ice.

After he left LA is when he went off the rails, glad it happened in Dallas and NY and not here.

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he was a saint here. :L

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The year after Avery was gone Bob Miller ripped him during a broadcast saying he was one of the few Kings players over all the years he did not like. Avery had to be (and was) a complete jerk for Bob to say that--I've never heard him say anything close about anyone else.
(Any of you guys remember that comment?)
I agree with Puck almost every time, but not about Avery.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, he was a saint here. :L

I never said he was a saint, but he wasn't a full blown loose cannon either. Guys like Norstrom and Conroy kept him in check somewhat.

That happened after he left LA, the stick waving, the comments about Phaneuf and sloppy seconds, etc.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The year after Avery was gone Bob Miller ripped him during a broadcast saying he was one of the few Kings players over all the years he did not like. Avery had to be (and was) a complete jerk for Bob to say that--I've never heard him say anything close about anyone else.
(Any of you guys remember that comment?)
I agree with Puck almost every time, but not about Avery.

I don't remember that but I do remember a Q&A with Miller on the old blog and he said Avery was the most difficult player to deal with because of his attitude on and off the ice.

Avery was a pretty polarizing figure in Kings' history and he always will be. I could do without some of the stuff he did - making fun of Brown's lisp for example in the locker room - but he played for his team and his teammates. I respect that and he was a damn good hockey player too, not too many guys could irritate the opposition like him and also put the puck in the net too.

He's a jackass but also extremely intelligent too. He went from making $1.1 million in 2006-07 to $1.9 million in 2007-08 coming off a whopping 28 point season. Doesn't that strike anyone as odd? He was an RFA, so Dumbo didn't need to increase his salary by 42%. But he did, and my belief is Avery was wearing thin on the group and Dumbo said keep your mouth shut, play hard and we can part ways.

The $800,000 increase was a pay off in my estimation, and he was shipped to the NY Rangers in the middle of 2007-08 and he finished with 48 points including 18 goals. Avery did exactly that, he had 28 points (10G/18A) in 55 games when he was traded, but he was only getting about 12 minutes of ice time a night on the third and fourth lines. Not too many guys can do that, and Avery was a premier agitator who could score a little.

Pretty good business relationship by both him and Lombardi.

Psych3man

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The guy was freaking talented--and tough. That's what made all his douchebag behavior so damn frustrating. But, Puck, you know how important locker room and good teammate status is in hockey--the ultimate of team (and momentum) sports!