• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawk's roster ranked 13th in the NFL

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do the Seahawks really have only the 13th-best roster in the NFL?

Is the overall talent base of the Seattle Seahawks starting to slip?

The answer that question is a resounding yes in the eyes of the football analytic site Pro Football Focus, which released its annual rankings of the roster of each NFL team on Monday and has Seattle in a somewhat surprising spot — 13th.

“To determine the rankings, we took the past two years of PFF data and, giving the 2015 season more weight, averaged out the grades for each roster. Then we added a closer evaluation for added context, which allowed us, for example, to reward teams that have an excellent quarterback situation but a relative hole along the defensive line when it came to run defense.”

And here is what PFF says about the Seahawks:

“Two-straight seasons leading this ranking have given way to a significant drop for the Seahawks, who now find themselves with a roster with a few cracks and weak spots.

Despite a major turnover, somehow Seattle’s offensive line looks worse on paper than the unit that was its Achilles’ heel all 2015. Wilson and Marshawn Lynch hid a lot of problems in the blocking, and while Wilson is back, Lynch has retired. Rookie Thomas Rawls performed an able imitation of Lynch, but the Seahawks’ backfield is a committee of rookies and Rawls and will have its work cut out to find running room.

Seattle’s once-spectacular defense is starting to show some cracks, especially when it comes to depth. Even studs such as Bobby Wagner have not played at their best for a while, and as talented as this team is, it looks like a unit that is slipping, at least until another wave of young players fully emerges to replace those who have faded.”

It’s an eye-catching assessment, to be sure, and one that likely won’t escape the notice of the Seattle locker room.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch played in only like 7 games. He didn't hide very many "problems" in those 7 games so I don't understand how they can not credit the offense for doing what they did without him really?

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand dropping them a bit but 13th seems low. 6ish is where I would expect with some of the unproven guys on the squad right now.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like all rankings this time of year, doesn't mean much. However I do think with all the change on the OL it's fair to wonder how they'll do. Rawls looked good last year, but he is coming off a major injury, so yes, it remains to be seen on he bounces back As for the defense, think we can agree that last year it slipped some. I do think it will bounce back this year though.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rankings were pretty silly. Eagles the 5th most talented team?

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rankings were pretty silly. Eagles the 5th most talented team?

A couple of the local sports radio hosts were even picking apart their ranking. Some of them think it's a 5-7 win team.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple of the local sports radio hosts were even picking apart their ranking. Some of them think it's a 5-7 win team.

As for the Hawks, they went from the most talented team in the league to 12th best because they lost 2 lineman and a SAM LB?

What a lot of pundits don't realize is that while the OL may be really bad this year, it was REALLY bad last year. It would be difficult for a professional offensive line to be worse. You could grab 5 guys off the street and recreate what the line did last year. So, IMO, saying that this team is worse because of the OL doesn't make much sense to me.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the Hawks, they went from the most talented team in the league to 12th best because they lost 2 lineman and a SAM LB?

What a lot of pundits don't realize is that while the OL may be really bad this year, it was REALLY bad last year. It would be difficult for a professional offensive line to be worse. You could grab 5 guys off the street and recreate what the line did last year. So, IMO, saying that this team is worse because of the OL doesn't make much sense to me.

You would be correct. Most national pundits only observe from a distance just to put a quick story out. There are a few that actually puts the time in to observe, do the research and then write a story which I can respect whether I agree or disagree with their opinion. This judgement on the Hawks roster which isn't even set in stone, is a little far fetched.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You would be correct. Most national pundits only observe from a distance just to put a quick story out. There are a few that actually puts the time in to observe, do the research and then write a story which I can respect whether I agree or disagree with their opinion. This judgement on the Hawks roster which isn't even set in stone, is a little far fetched.

Brock and Salk were talking about this the other day. And while we may not agree with their rank, PFF DOES put in the research into the players. So while I too think they dropped Sea too many spots, it's not like they just pulled the ranking out of their ass after reading a couple of articles on the team. Having said that, the observation about Lynch was mysterious as hell.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brock and Salk were talking about this the other day. And while we may not agree with their rank, PFF DOES put in the research into the players. So while I too think they dropped Sea too many spots, it's not like they just pulled the ranking out of their ass after reading a couple of articles on the team. Having said that, the observation about Lynch was mysterious as hell.

I'm sure they do, but they missed the boat on this one. Eagles roster 7 spots ahead of the Seahawks roster is laughable.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keep bringing on the put downs. Our team plays better with a chip.

DHoey

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,893.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:trash:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was a big fan of PFF. But since they went from detailed rankings to generic rankings, I've found their analysis to be poorer and poorer.

They used to give in depth grades for each player with full depth charts. Now they put out articles like this where they offer only the most superficial analysis as their reasoning.

Until further notice I'll stick with FO for my analytical requirements as they have been much more consistent with their methodology even if it is also black box.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pundits still look at Seattle's offense as if it is 2012. I love Lynch, but his performance last season was just abysmal, and Seattle was just 3-5 when he played. He was ineffectual most of the time he played last year, and I even advocated benching him, he was playing so poorly. His loss will not affect this team nearly as much as the "experts" seem to think it will.

I don't put much stock into PFF, especially when they give no explanations to their rankings (which they have been doing more frequently the last 2 years). We'll just have to see how the team comes together in the months to come.

phredmojo

Steak is for Taxpayers
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle will win the division and home field advantage.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe we play better against a Chip???

I just wish the Huskies did.
Maybe that will change this year. I know Chip has been gone awhile from UO, but they have still pounded the Dawgs for far too long.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just wish the Huskies did.
Maybe that will change this year. I know Chip has been gone awhile from UO, but they have still pounded the Dawgs for far too long.
No doubt. Here's to hoping the Dawgs continue to improve.