• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks release Bryant and Rice

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because of the change of position, I think it's harder to evaluate Irvin as a player right now than it would have been had he stayed at DE. Had he stayed at defensive end and we'd seen little to no improvement on last year's performance on the stat sheet or in his technique, it'd be easier to call him a bust. The position change complicates things because he had to learn a new position that came with new responsibilities and new expectations, and maybe those responsibilities and expectations will change yet again as he enters his second year at linebacker.

A couple other things to consider if you're looking at his sack total from 2013 and feeling disappointed that it wasn't equal to or better than his 2012 total are that his other stats increased in fewer games played and he had more competition for those sacks than he had last year. He also had to drop back into pass coverage, which is not something they asked him to do often, if at all, when he was a defensive end.

If they intend to keep him at linebacker, you can pretty much forget his year at DE in your evaluations because it no longer matters.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you are looking a little farther into the future I think both Smith and KJ have contracts up after 2014. I think Wagner and Bruce are under contract through 2015. Point being I think linebacker should have at least one pick used for it in the draft. I love Smith but he is just one of the those guy I see us not being able to afford given the production. Kinda like McDonald this year. I think they may want to see if Bruce has a future their once we start losing guys. However it seems like we havent had much issue reloading with LB's through the draft so hopefully that continues.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce Irvin has another year to show his worth IMO. Hasn't played up to where he was drafted as of yet, but he'll be on the team thru his rookie contract for sure IMO.

Well, that's because he is guaranteed all of his contract. It would be a waste of money to cut him.

That being said, despite him not playing to his full potential, I don't get it that he should be considered a bust (as some people have said) when he got eight sacks in his rookie season. Only two this season with the change of position & suspended four games though.

Anyhow, I think Irvin will do good next season otherwise, he's off the team or he's taking a pay cut when it's time to get a new contract.