• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks release Bryant and Rice

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No big surprise here, but it's officially done. They're gone.

I'm kinda sad to see Bryant go to be honest, he was one of the true leaders on the field and in the locker room.

Rice price tag was just too much.

Seahawks Release DE Red Bryant and WR Sidney Rice

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle's defensive scheme changed dramatically though. They didn't use Bryant as much as years past and he was commanding way too much salary for a situational player. Michael Bennett is not as good against the run but he's good enough while offering a FAR superior pass rush.

TheDman875

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna miss Big Red, but if his release means Seattle is freeing up salary room for Bennett I'm all for it.

TheDman875

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemons next? He's owed 7.5 mil next year if I'm not mistaken.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My favorite Red Bryant moment. God speed big boy

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-UVXOiGnAo&feature=player_detailpage]Red Bryant - YouTube[/ame]

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemons next? He's owed 7.5 mil next year if I'm not mistaken.

I think Clem is gonna be released… He's getting up there and wasn't nearly as productive as years past especially after the knee injury…BUT he did play well in the Super Bowl!!! I think were gonna have to nab another pass rusher in the draft or free agency…

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I think we save about 17 million dollars in cap space by cutting Bryant and Rice, correct?

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I read the #s right the Seahawks have a little over 18 million in cap space right now.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree red will be missed!! But thats the biz. I hope theres no hard feelings and i dont think there will be, the hawks gave him a bigger contract then i think he deserved but couldnt handle it now in his limited state....

TheDman875

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Clem is gonna be released… He's getting up there and wasn't nearly as productive as years past especially after the knee injury…BUT he did play well in the Super Bowl!!! I think were gonna have to nab another pass rusher in the draft or free agency…

He did play well in the SB, but yes his sack numbers took a dive this year. I wouldn't mind an incentive based restructure, but I have a gut feeling Mayowa will be ready to go learning and developing over the last season. For some reason I'm really high on this kid.

coltonjg98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I read the #s right the Seahawks have a little over 18 million in cap space right now.

According to hawkblogger, releasing, rice would free up 7.3 mil, and bryant 5.5. Clemons would free up 7.5 mil. Also, the cap increase this year was 10 mil.

7.3+5.5+10= 22.8
That is just the cap the seahawks have gained in the last few days. I dont know how much space we had before but i think, we were a few mil below the cap (dont quote me on that one).

According to this: » Over the Cap- Seattle Seahawks 2014 Salary Cap and Contracts , we have almost 18 mil cap space. Another thing to remember, though, is that they have the players on future contracts included (shows 57 players, where you can have 53 during season). So assuming that we resign atleast 8 of our free agents (remember we have many, including backups. i.e. maragos, tarvaris, hauschka, mccoy, etc.) and that 4 drafted players make the team (just a minimum estimate) that means 12 of the players on the roster right now would be cut. Im just going to use the low salary i see, which is 420,000. my quick, rough, math says 420,000x12= just over 5m.

18+5=23 says we have $23 million minimum available right now, before we resign our free agents and draft choices. I dont know if the players we have through training camp and preseason count towards the salary, or if any of what im attempting to put together makes sense, so help me out. Im VERY new to this relatively advanced salary cap stuff, so this is my best estimate, without knowing the specifics and rules to the cap. Feel free to tell me Im a complete idiot if i messed this whole thing up, which im assuming i did. For some of you who know a lot more about the cap, Id love to learn more about this.

One more quick thing, releasing clemons would save 7.5 mil, so if we do, we are looking at around 30 mil in space. Just something to daydream about, cause it wont happen: imagine if we didnt have to sign wilson, sherm, and earl to huge contracts. We could sign 2-3 more SUPERSTARS to this team. Man, why cant some players be like fitz and take a hit for the team? haha

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how I feel about cutting Clemons. He was not as productive in 2013 due to his knee injury, but if we cut him and don't re-sign Michael Bennett we could be looking at a huge hole at DE. I say wait and see how he looks in camp. Malcolm Smith played well at OLB while K.J. Wright was out, so possibly we could move Bruce Irvin back to DE and have Smith take his spot at LB.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure how I feel about cutting Clemons. He was not as productive in 2013 due to his knee injury, but if we cut him and don't re-sign Michael Bennett we could be looking at a huge hole at DE. I say wait and see how he looks in camp. Malcolm Smith played well at OLB while K.J. Wright was out, so possibly we could move Bruce Irvin back to DE and have Smith take his spot at LB.

It seems like financial wise, the decision is between Clem and Bennett. Just not sure you can justify keeping both at that salary when you need try and lock up Thomas and Sherman this offseason, otherwise it will get tougher and more expensive next off season. It makes sense that they havent cut Clem yet because like you said it would be tough to lose both. We have already lost Red and likely McDonald as well. You just have to ask yourself was Clem's drop in production due to his knee or his age. My guess is its a combination of both. Either way I think its tough to bring back Clem at that number.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems like financial wise, the decision is between Clem and Bennett. Just not sure you can justify keeping both at that salary when you need try and lock up Thomas and Sherman this offseason, otherwise it will get tougher and more expensive next off season. It makes sense that they havent cut Clem yet because like you said it would be tough to lose both. We have already lost Red and likely McDonald as well. You just have to ask yourself was Clem's drop in production due to his knee or his age. My guess is its a combination of both. Either way I think its tough to bring back Clem at that number.

True. I mostly say keep Clemons if Bennett is not retained. He would be an expensive luxury, but he is better than our next option.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True. I mostly say keep Clemons if Bennett is not retained. He would be an expensive luxury, but he is better than our next option.

Seems to me that Avril is taking Clemons place on the team. Clemons is making way to much to be the backup. Lots of free agent pass rushers this year, so another cheap pickup could happen.

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so possibly we could move Bruce Irvin back to DE and have Smith take his spot at LB.

I have ZERO faith in Bruce Irvin. I see him getting cut, if not cut, his contract is NOT renewed once he reaches FA status. As of Today, I consider BI a bust.

BI has this year to prove himself (if not cut before that), and if he does stick around and have a 3rd sub-standard season, Hawks will NOT offer him a contract.

Time for BI to Step-It-Up. I doubt it happens.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bruce Irvin has another year to show his worth IMO. Hasn't played up to where he was drafted as of yet, but he'll be on the team thru his rookie contract for sure IMO.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think with Bruce its about figuring out which position fits him best. He is an incredible athlete, showed that with that INT he had in St Louis. However he was in a complete new position last year. Quinn was interviewed at the combine and it sounded like there were no plans to move him back to the DLine next year which I agree with. Not sure he has the size to more then a situational pass rusher.

I think a lot of people remember the poor showing he had against Atlanta in the playoff last years and that is the game that stands out. I agree he has a long way to go to live up to being a 1st round pick but I am willing to see how he does next year before I give him the bust label.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have ZERO faith in Bruce Irvin. I see him getting cut, if not cut, his contract is NOT renewed once he reaches FA status. As of Today, I consider BI a bust.

BI has this year to prove himself (if not cut before that), and if he does stick around and have a 3rd sub-standard season, Hawks will NOT offer him a contract.

Time for BI to Step-It-Up. I doubt it happens.

He was not bad as a linebacker. I'd take Smith over him at the starting spot though.

Irvin's biggest problem is he is really raw. He has a ton of athletic ability, but he is yet to really put it together. His rookie year he looked alright as a situational pass rusher against less athletic OTs, but whenever the Seahawks went up against a team with decent OTs, Irvin had little success since he primarily relies on his athletic ability to get to the QB.

I think his future is probably as a situational pass rusher, just as he was in his rookie year.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think with Bruce its about figuring out which position fits him best. He is an incredible athlete, showed that with that INT he had in St Louis. However he was in a complete new position last year. Quinn was interviewed at the combine and it sounded like there were no plans to move him back to the DLine next year which I agree with. Not sure he has the size to more then a situational pass rusher.

I think a lot of people remember the poor showing he had against Atlanta in the playoff last years and that is the game that stands out. I agree he has a long way to go to live up to being a 1st round pick but I am willing to see how he does next year before I give him the bust label.

I prefer K.J. Wright/Bobby Wagner/Malcolm Smith over KJ/Wagner/Irvin, which is why I think it makes sense to put Irvin back at DE.