• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks re-sign Bobby Wagner

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
argh I didn't realize he missed seven games last season, I thought he only was out like 3 or 4. Yeah that accounts for some of the difference. But on a per-game basis, they received comparable numbers of snaps.

Mebane is unquestionbly a better pass rusher, but McDaniel is the better run defender (for my money, which admittedly only includes having watched about 7 of their games last year). DT is probably the most poorly captured position by conventional stats in the game, because obviously a DT that stuffs the point of attack and the LBs clean up the tackle gets no credit from the statistics. I can tell you that I think the primary run stopper on a team that revolves around run-stopping is not a trivial position. I think McDaniel is a bigger loss than Maxwell. Mostly your list looks pretty reasonable, but I would definitely put him higher.

And here's something interesting. After Mebane went out, the Seattle defense got a LOT nastier last season. Now I know it's more than a one-man show, but if Mebane was so vital, why were the Seahawks so much more effective on defense precisely when he went down? Seems a little counterintuitive.

Though whoever made the point about the choice of not cutting Mebane, well that's a good point. Clearly they consider pass rushing skill the more valuable commodity, and there's no doubt Mebane is the better rusher. We will see how that decision plays out for them.

Mebane is a better run defender than McDaniel. Mebane is a better DT in all areas.

Please stop pretending that you know more about the team than the actual Seattle fan base.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread has so much

th

Hawks posters have been really nice through 7 pages as far as explaining why every other opinion is wrong. This should be a study in internet self control.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well most are posting about cutting this player for the simple reason that if one would go back and look at all the Seattle threads from back last year talking about how Seattle had a nice advantage having a cheap QB they could spend money in other places giving them better depth and such because they didnt need to spend it on a QB

Non Seattle fans were posting that will only last so long and once you have to pay a $20 mil QB you will have to get rid of people and depth will not be as good.

The things is there were Seattle fans telling the rest of us that Seattle had an amazing guy doing the contracts and that they would not be hurt by having to sign your QB to big money and depth would not be hurt.

So now because a guy was cut just because he coudnt fit under the cap the non Seattle fans are trying to point out that see it will affect the team in a negative way with having less money to spend on other players.

For some reason some of the Seattle fans didnt see this coming and that is why there is this talk about the payer cut for cap reasons.

And I am sure you will find it is not just me on these boards who have seen some Seattle fans saying signing Wilson would not cause the Seahawks and cap issues and having to cut other players to keep him.

It just got a lot harder to field a team with good quality depth for the Seahawks

What has happened this offseason really isn't any different from what has happened in other off seasons for the Seahawks. Cutting McDaniels ( a aging journey man) reminds me of letting go of Paul McQuistan, letting Maxwell walk is like letting Walter Thurmond walk and Browner before him, trading Unger for Graham was a trade to good to pass up. In the pass the Seahawks have cut good players like Red Bryant or even really good players like Chris Clemons.

Obviously as a roster gets stacked with talent it gets harder to keep good players, but some times that's for the good, keep bring in young fresh players develop them and let them replace players not worth the bang for your bucks anymore, be it age, or be it his market value or be it getting injured to often.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You too? Let's grab a beer in Hawk Alley. You'll be well received. Be sure to wear your white jersey
I'll be the guy wearing my SuperBowl XL commemorating jersey... Its the white one :thumb:

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rubin just made McDaniel expendable. After watching Rubin through 2 practices, Pete was comfortable enough with Rubin to cut TM for cap relief.
Kevin Williams last year had to play many more snaps than expected due to Mebane and Hill going on IR.
That did not make him more valuable to the Seahawks this year, the same as Tony M as both are off the squad now. Both DT's, both good players, neither a cancer, both with lower dollar contracts, but their time ran out here.
Busting our balls over this by saying we are in a world of shit because of overspending by our GM shows that you folks, not Seahawk's fans, don't get or understand what is going on in our neck of the woods. I'm cool with that. Yet some of you keep thinking you are wiser about our team than us and that our GM is foolish. You folks are wrong on both accounts.
We aren't here saying TM is a bum or this is a huge loss. His loss is comparable to losing Red Bryant, who was great to have for a while until he became expendable. Sorry, that is the business side of the NFL.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be the guy wearing my SuperBowl XL commemorating jersey... Its the white one :thumb:

And while you're in the northwest, you might as well swing by Moscow the day before Seattle vs. Pitt to see the Vandals get their shit pushed in by Texas State. Again.

Actually that game was pretty close last year.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And while you're in the northwest, you might as well swing by Moscow the day before Seattle vs. Pitt to see the Vandals get their shit pushed in by Texas State. Again.

Actually that game was pretty close last year.
Haven't been to Moscow in a Coon's age

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're missing out. They have a Jimmy John's now.
Moscow food is on another level.

Loco Grinz... uh-fuckin-mazing. Korean BBQ chicken for days yo
Moscow Bagel... best drunk eating bar none
Red Bento... best oriental food I've ever had
CJ's fries... Again drunk eating
Sangria... Bomb Italian

Is "Stacks" still up there... That sandwich shop was the shit

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all a blur to me now, I don't remember anything about eating joints and such, but I was pretty poor back then, lots of macaroni and cheese, and cheap beer.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moscow food is on another level.

Loco Grinz... uh-fuckin-mazing. Korean BBQ chicken for days yo
Moscow Bagel... best drunk eating bar none
Red Bento... best oriental food I've ever had
CJ's fries... Again drunk eating
Sangria... Bomb Italian

Is "Stacks" still up there... That sandwich shop was the shit

Yeah still up there. Had another sushi place open up next to the Garden Lounge that's on par with Red Bento.

Dat Sangria gringo sauce though. Damn.

Cave_Johnson

R.I.P. Bob Saget
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's all a blur to me now, I don't remember anything about eating joints and such, but I was pretty poor back then, lots of macaroni and cheese, and cheap beer.

Nothing wrong with that. Probably lived off that for a solid couple years myself.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah still up there. Had another sushi place open up next to the Garden Lounge that's on par with Red Bento.

Dat Sangria gringo sauce though. Damn.
Damn hippies:L

j/k... love saying that for some reason.:suds:

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing wrong with that. Probably lived off that for a solid couple years myself.
That and Ramen noodles... Ate it so often that I finally got sick of it. I still can't eat it anymore. I get ill just smelling it.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mebane and Hill are your starters now that McDaniel is gone. McDaniel (449) logged more snaps last year than Mebane (280) and Hill (362) by a wide margin. Hill only missed three games.

Look, they may be fine, but acting like it's nothing is probably an exercise in denial.

I know this is coming late, but I'll post it anyway.

McDaniel was a fine piece, but it isn't devastating to lose him. He played 400 snaps (49 on special teams, so I am excluding them) but sheer volume of snap counts .

1) Up until week 7 (Hill's first missed game), McDaniel was 4th on the Seahawks for snaps by a DT (not including Bennett who moved between DE and DT throughout the season). Mebane (158), Williams (148) and Hill (141) were all ahead of McDaniel (125).

2) From week 10 through week 17, McDaniel was 3rd (Mebane was hurt week 10) during that time, again behind Hill (219) and Williams (216). McDaniel had 199.

3) McDaniel wouldn't be as high as second among DTs for a game until week 7, when Hill was out, and none of his 6 times finishing within the top 2 snap counts for DTs came when both Mebane and Hill played. Overall, he was 4th in snaps when all 4 top DT rotation was in the game (Hill, 180; Mebane, 173; Williams, 164; McDaniel, 139).

4) McDaniel saw fewer snaps than the true scrubs (Scruggs and Dobbs) on 3 occasions out of the six games Scruggs and Dobbs played (weeks 8, 9 & 10).

5) Seahawks snap count per game for DT - Mebane (27.8), Hill (27.7), Williams (27.3), McDaniel (25.0), Scruggs (21.3) and Dobbs (13.0).

6) Even though it's claimed he was the starter (and maybe he was with him playing the first snap on games) but he was really our #4 DT. The Hawks will already have a pretty fierce DT battle as it is, and if there was any need to clear cap space, why not cut the #4 guy on the depth chart.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Stoker spit hot fire.

jakedog56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this is coming late, but I'll post it anyway.

McDaniel was a fine piece, but it isn't devastating to lose him. He played 400 snaps (49 on special teams, so I am excluding them) but sheer volume of snap counts .

1) Up until week 7 (Hill's first missed game), McDaniel was 4th on the Seahawks for snaps by a DT (not including Bennett who moved between DE and DT throughout the season). Mebane (158), Williams (148) and Hill (141) were all ahead of McDaniel (125).

2) From week 10 through week 17, McDaniel was 3rd (Mebane was hurt week 10) during that time, again behind Hill (219) and Williams (216). McDaniel had 199.

3) McDaniel wouldn't be as high as second among DTs for a game until week 7, when Hill was out, and none of his 6 times finishing within the top 2 snap counts for DTs came when both Mebane and Hill played. Overall, he was 4th in snaps when all 4 top DT rotation was in the game (Hill, 180; Mebane, 173; Williams, 164; McDaniel, 139).

4) McDaniel saw fewer snaps than the true scrubs (Scruggs and Dobbs) on 3 occasions out of the six games Scruggs and Dobbs played (weeks 8, 9 & 10).

5) Seahawks snap count per game for DT - Mebane (27.8), Hill (27.7), Williams (27.3), McDaniel (25.0), Scruggs (21.3) and Dobbs (13.0).

6) Even though it's claimed he was the starter (and maybe he was with him playing the first snap on games) but he was really our #4 DT. The Hawks will already have a pretty fierce DT battle as it is, and if there was any need to clear cap space, why not cut the #4 guy on the depth chart.

Great synopsis.

There is no denying that our depth could be affected across the board with all of the big contracts and that is worrisome but McDaniel was a "starter" by default only. He is a solid role player but he can be replaced.

Now we just need to hope that Mebane and Hill can stay healthy.