• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks re-sign Bobby Wagner

The Oldtimer

Older than dirt!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is certainly a top tier MLB. Whether he is the best or the 3rd best is largely irrelevant.

The Seahawks defense was dramatically better with him on the field last year.
Yep!!!!

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, for some reason, McDaniel was put in by the coaching staff on nearly 2x more plays than Mebane. But OK, maybe you know something the Seattle coaching staff doesn't, and you are right, and McDaniel is irrelevant.

Seahawks fans have to be the most thin-skinned in the country. This isn't even a criticism of the Seahawks, I'm just observing that they lost a few core guys, and you guys get so defensive that you resort to acting like the DT who got more snaps than anyone else on a team fueled by defense doesn't matter. OK boys, have a nice day. Feel free to expound more deep football wisdom to the rest of us ignorant dolts.
Seahawks, Bobby Wagner agree to four-year contract extension

Once again, claims that the Seahawks would need to lose core players turn out to be unfounded.

Bobby Wagner is the highest paid MLB in football now.
We are doomed.
Damn, that was a short run.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not Smith, but your two o linemen, and your starting CB and your most important DT, yes. I definitely think that the most important DT on a great defense counts as a "core player." Sorry, I can't help it.
No offense, but are you saying Tony M was the most important DT for Seattle last year?

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People are replaced each year but the team depth is not an issue at all.

If we look at those things you listed you will see the Clay Matthews will be playing inside on rushing downs quite a bit this season. he has been playing there quite a bit through all the OTA's He will now have more experience inside. The Packers also have Barrington as the other inside staring Linebacker who did very well and have Malumba back from Knee surgery that has looked amazing so far that can play inside or outside. Then last but not least on the inside linebacker we drafted a quality rookie that will develop and get playing time and in time with more experience develop into a starter. But they are not throwing some unknown rookie out there that the team has no clue about meaning there is not a concern on team depth at inside linebcker.

If you take time to look at the stats you will see that the Packers were a top 5 defense the second half of the season when Matthews played inside. This year we should have that from the start of the season.

Your concern with the Packer corner backs was addressed in the draft but because of team depth they will not be playing much. Hayward now in his 4th year will replace Williams. His rookie year he was in the running for defensive rookie of the year with 6 picks. He was injured his second year but has done well since. The Packers also have Micah Hyde who has played safety and corner and is now in his 3rd year. With Hyde and Hayward players in their 3rd and 4th year replacing Williams and House who had less playing time than Hyde they will be fine. Again the rookies wont be rushed in to have to play and can develop. That is the Packer way

The defensive line will be better with Raji back and there are younger guys with more experience with Boyd and Pennel so they will be able to have a good rotation of quality players on the D line

Safety is set with Burnett and Clinton Dix and Hyde as the 3rd

The offense has every starter back and quality free agents resigned for a discount because they love GB and the chance to win a Super Bowl with getting Cobb and Bulaga back.

The O line is one of the top 5 in the league and there are quality back ups at each postion that are not rookies that have had playing time.

The only spot a Packer fan would worry about depth is if Rodgers was out for a significant amount of time like a few years ago when he missed 7 games and were only able to squeak into the playoffs. I feel the back up situation behind him is now better with Tolzien though than when Flynn was in there.

But if any #1 QB goes down that is pretty much an issue with most teams.

So yes in review there is not a concern about the depth on the Packers. They dont over pay to keep over priced players like Williams and House and the Linebackers that are no longer with the Packers were not what you would call core players. Hawk had 10 years in and is on the down swing. Younger better players are there to replace them.

Top 5 defense the last eight games? Using what metric?

C

cubzzzfanincali

There are more variables involved than just those two. Like Wagner and Maxwell coming back right about the same time.
No offense, but are you saying Tony M was the most important DT for Seattle last year?

No offense taken. In many respects, yes. He was on the field quite a bit more than the others, and although his play wasn't statistically glamorous, he was obviously a very solid player or the entire defense built around a strong interior defense that played great when others went down. It's cool, you don't see him as core, I'm not as smart as you Seahawk fans, genius by virtue of things, I'm just saying he is a loss and some other team will be glad to have him. Good thing for you his loss won't impact the team in any meaningful way. Right, bro?

C

cubzzzfanincali

We are doomed.
Damn, that was a short run.

I don't think you are doomed. At all. I am just saying it is stupid for the fanbase to act like no core players were cut on their way to retaining their stars. Maybe that was the right play. 2015 will tell. But a fanbase that acts like it cost them nothing - which was the basic point of this thread - is deluding themselves as much as my fanbase does (about other matters). Seattle picked their poison. We'll see how it acts.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 30-year-old defensive tackle was slated to make $2.5 million in 2015.

McDaniel played almost 450 snaps over 14 games last season and helped push Seattle to a second consecutive Super Bowl. He had 17 tackles and logged a safety while maintaining his strong play against the run.

So a GM didn't want to pay 2.5 million for 17 tackles? Tough decision there.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
C

cubzzzfanincali

he is a better tackler, and he is also faster to recognize the plays. Tulloch had some help from how awesome Suh was in run defense. It's funny, because these same Seahawk fans (who I would have thought had learned something about watching good defensive football lately) seem so quick to dismiss how crucial strong interior run defense is by just writing McDaniel off. McDaniel isn't as good as Suh, but he was a great run defender. I wish my team would sign him. He is tall, and can shove guys hard even when outlevered. Tulloch is still a very good cleanup linebacker, but without Suh chewing up two and three guys at the point of attack, he won't have as many clean looks in 2015. Or so I think. Ask the Seahawk fan experts. They seem to think this is all irrelevant, so buyer beware.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Let's look at Chicago and Tampa Bay being the only teams that didn't drop 20 or more on them.

huh? they gave up 3-14-7-6-6. Frightening stuff. And...uh...we didn't play you last year. Thank God. You would have picked off Cutler like 20 times.

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
huh? they gave up 3-14-7-6-6. Frightening stuff. And...uh...we didn't play you last year. Thank God. You would have picked off Cutler like 20 times.

You're drunk, went you?

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aren't*, damn you autocorrect.

C

cubzzzfanincali

but since you think you played the Bears last year, I'd have to say you are hallucinating. Lay off the acid. We haven't played you since 2012. Missed a couple of years, pincho?

BHF

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,037.71
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but since you think you played the Bears last year, I'd have to say you are hallucinating. Lay off the acid. We haven't played you since 2012. Missed a couple of years, pincho?

I'm just going to sit here and wait for you to re-read the thread of the conversation, realize your error, and slink away, or just go all in on this....

C

cubzzzfanincali

ok, well I make so many mistakes, I need help seeing the worse errors from the minor ones. Lil help, amigo?