• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Seahawks Ernest jones

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Brock makes a good point that this trade also sends a message that the team demands excellence.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 4th sucks, but Baker wasn't working. I'm surprised PFF is rating Baker so high but he's just not playing gaps well and being a good run stuffer. He may be fine in coverage but we don't need that if we can't stop the run. Lewis can stop the run and does get gaps. He's played in a defense (Rams and Titans) that basically mirror what Mac does. Lastly, our team has a TON of info. on Lewis. We played him for 2-3 years against the Rams and while I get Mac wasn't here, our player personnel directors/staff were. And we had the offseason workout or whatever against the Titans. So we've firsthand seen what he can do beyond the tape.

I didn't like giving up the 4th, but we will have another next year thanks to Lewis (who is playing decently apparently in Carolina... whatevs - couldn't afford him either way). 2025 from kind of everything I've read/seen is a weak class too. That probably means someone who might be good in the 4th is probably not as valuable. It's a weak QB class and not a great offensive one from what I've seen. I dunno how much we'll be in the market for offensive players, but everyone talented may be gone by the 4th round.

There is something to be said about trading picks away in weaker classes. I mean who knows, 50% of the 2025 could be Pro Bowlers... whatever. But just sayin'.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,579.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kid is 24, so 3 years younger than Baker, is a flow fit not a big body slow fit. Baker was having problems getting his ass in the damn hole in the run fits and it was driving me CRAZY! They need youth and speed at Linebacker and Baker was playing like he was 35 years old. The 4th rounder we sent to them is BULLSHIT! I'm sorry guys but JS tends to give up more than he gets. These players are in my eyes pretty even just different styles is all. They produce about the same and 3 years younger for the same player basically costs you a 4th round pick? Oh Hell no! Titans laughing their asses off.

Titans flipped their 5th for the Rams 6th in a trade to get this guy. Now they Landed a 4th round pick? So they did not lose a pick they gained a 4th but swopping a 5th for a 6th. WTF! Sorry we got bent over a little bit. Typical JS. Titans took a 5th and turned it into a 4th, a 6th and Baker.

Last edited:

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We had to give up more because we needed the trade more. The Titans are unloading players but there is no reason for them to trade Jones just to get a rental in return.

I wouldn't be surprised if we forced them to take Baker back for cap purposes and the only thing they wanted was the draft pick.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kid is 24, so 3 years younger than Baker, is a flow fit not a big body slow fit. Baker was having problems getting his ass in the damn hole in the run fits and it was driving me CRAZY! They need youth and speed at Linebacker and Baker was playing like he was 35 years old. The 4th rounder we sent to them is BULLSHIT! I'm sorry guys but JS tends to give up more than he gets. These players are in my eyes pretty even just different styles is all. They produce about the same and 3 years younger for the same player basically costs you a 4th round pick? Oh Hell no! Titans laughing their asses off.

Titans flipped their 5th for the Rams 6th in a trade to get this guy. Now they Landed a 4th round pick? So they did not lose a pick they gained a 4th but swopping a 5th for a 6th. WTF! Sorry we got bent over a little bit. Typical JS. Titans took a 5th and turned it into a 4th, a 6th and Baker.
I think giving them Baker was exactly for cap purposes. Baker and Jones are basically identical for cap hit, so the move is effectively $0.00 cost for us. I know $2M doesn't sound like a lot, but it adds up. Baker is also an injury issue. He came back later than expected, and then got reinjured, and has looked pretty bleh all year. And I think he was on the injury report last week but played lol. I think Mac would rather just rotate Knight out there to be honest... who at least knows what gap assignment is.

And any time you trade at deadline for a player you WANT vs. a player you're just trying to offload and get something for because you can't afford to resign him (or know you're going into a full blown rebuild), teams are going to negotiate giving you less. We could've gotten him last year for the same but it's the Rams. They're sure as hell not trading him to us. And I wouldn't be surprised if the Titans were aware of that. Plus, they know how valuable the LBer role is in Mac's defense... And Baker was just kind of a plug. Nobody really was interested, Seattle snagged him SUPER late, and it was a 'hope for the best thing'. I thought it was a great value signing, but a huge question mark. And it turned out to not work. Mac didn't have a lot of resources coming into last season with cap or draft capital, so....

Titans held ALL the cards... I mean this is Mac's first big move IMO. He wanted him for HIS defense. And it required a 4th (not the end of the world) but pretty much the expectation that you're resigning him to something sizeable and that you want to be competitive this season and shoot for the division/playoffs. Now let's see how it pans out. I mean it's not quite the 2nd rounder with Williams, but it's comparable in terms of the reasoning behind it.

A couple silver linings is we'll have (or should have) another 4th from the Damien Lewis signing by Carolina... also the 2025 draft is fairly weak. I think a 4th in that draft is more like a 5th in most others. Not trying to convince myself it was a perfect trade, just pointing out what I know. I'd prob. give us like a B-/C+, and of course the Titans an A.

Last edited:

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A 4th rounder seems a tad high but it's worth it if this guy comes in and immediately contributes with the run defense. If all goes well Seattle will have a shot to resign him and he's young.

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't get quality for nothing. No one will care about a 4th rounder if the player ends up being good. The whole point of a draft pick is to get a player, right? If hadn't made the trade, we would use the pick on an unproven 22 year old player from college. Instead, we just used it on a 24 year old who is proven to be good in the NFL. Not sure why this is a concern.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can't get quality for nothing. No one will care about a 4th rounder if the player ends up being good. The whole point of a draft pick is to get a player, right? If hadn't made the trade, we would use the pick on an unproven 22 year old player from college. Instead, we just used it on a 24 year old who is proven to be good in the NFL. Not sure why this is a concern.

Too many people treat draft picks like they are sacred. The odds that Jones will be an effective player for us are much better than the odds that a 4th round player will be effective for us

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@JMR @flyerhawk

Agreed on all points. It's fun to rank trades regardless but really anything after the 3rd I'm kind of whatever on lol. If you spend a 3rd on a player you expect a quality starter cheap for a few years. A 4th? Sure they can turn into a starter and be great and SOMETIMES you get a HOFer out of em, but it's a longshot. Add to all of that the 2025 class is generally regarded by most scouts/player personnel as weak... whatever. I'd argue giving up a 4th in the 2025 draft is like giving up a 5th in most others.

The guy we sent the pick for is 24 as well... remind you of anyone? *COUGH BO NIX* Jones might as well be a rookie at this point.

I think a 4th was a little too steep, but end of day Jones fills a big need on this team and if Mac thinks he can make his D work and get us to Balti D levels, then I'm for it. Jones was used WAY more in blitz packages as well compared to Baker who just couldn't get it.

All said, I'm more curious to see if he's extended and what the price is. But, I could even stomach a 2/3 season rental. I don't believe in tanking for picks. If Jones comes in for the remainder of this year and is the missing piece to get us to the playoffs, that's fine. And if he walks? That's fine, because he'll probably get overpaid by someone and we'll get a compensatory pick back in a stronger draft class lol.

Last edited:

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,328.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly! We are getting a young, 24 year old LB in a position that we desperately need for a 4th round pick & Baker... A 4th round pick that we used on Knight who can't even crack the starting lineup, which is one of the reasons we had to trade for Jones Jr... Not sure why some here feel like a 4th was a horrible deal... Baker probably was going to be cut anyways...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly! We are getting a young, 24 year old LB in a position that we desperately need for a 4th round pick & Baker... A 4th round pick that we used on Knight who can't even crack the starting lineup, which is one of the reasons we had to trade for Jones Jr... Not sure why some here feel like a 4th was a horrible deal... Baker probably was going to be cut anyways...

Some people view draft picks as some precious thing that should never be touched.

We gave up a 2nd for Leonard Williams. He is arguably a best defensive player. We weren't getting that with a 2nd.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Jones plays well then it's a good trade and if he doesn't then the Seahawks are spinning their wheels. Just got to hope it works out.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,328.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We gave up a 2nd for Leonard Williams. He is arguably a best defensive player. We weren't getting that with a 2nd.
... and I feel/felt at the time that it was a good trade... It turned out well for both teams so if anything, it was a push...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... and I feel/felt at the time that it was a good trade... It turned out well for both teams so if anything, it was a push...

I don't view trades as a winner/loser scenario. IMO, getting Williams for a 2nd was good business for the Hawks. Whether it was good for the Giants doesn't really matter to me.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 867.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True of all trades and draft picks.
I guess. I'm not big on trading away future draft picks, but I'm for doing something to improve the defense. Hopefully this deal makes a impact and lets players know that the defense isn't up to McDonald standards. If not....well less ammo next draft to improve. Not hearing good things about next years draft class in general so perhaps less painful not to have a full slate of picks.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 29,773.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some people view draft picks as some precious thing that should never be touched.

I view the top 3 picks as impact picks that shouldn't be moved since they should/better be day 1 starters. Seattle moving off a 2nd rounder for Williams is acceptable since he makes an impact. Rounds 4-7 can be traded at any time and more easily recovered.