• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

RIP Fernando Valenzuela

TheGoodMan19

Dealing with pronoun troubles
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His screwball that he pitched really messed up hitters for that first part of his career. At 20, started out 8 and 0. Every game was complete and I think like 5 of those were complete game shutouts. He had the league screwed up with that screwball.

Was there any pitcher before or after that was known or is known for a quality screwball?
"King" Carl Hubbell won 253 games for the Giants in the 30's. The screwball chews up a pitcher's arm, throwing with that reverse motion. I seen a photo of Hubbell's arm when throwing the screwball and it looks like rubber. Mike Cuellar had a decent career, but mostly relievers threw it. Tug McGraw, Willie Hernandez et al

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RIP Fernando. He died Tuesday at 63 after battling liver cancer. I was fortunate to be working in LA in 1981, Valenzuela's rookie year. A 20-year old Mexican kid enters the Dodgers starting rotation and immediately becomes a hit with shutout after shutout. The town went wild and that was Fernandomania. He won game 3 of the WS vs the Yankees, was named Rookie of the Year, and won the Cy Young Award. I managed to attend most of his games.

Fernando's record in 1981: 13-7, 2.48 ERA, 8 SHO, 180K, 61BB, 11HR
I spent a little time in the LA area that season, visiting my dad. It was crazy. My step cousins, all Hispanic immigrants, were enamored by him. He was a true talent.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.72
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Orangeisback

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"King" Carl Hubbell won 253 games for the Giants in the 30's. The screwball chews up a pitcher's arm, throwing with that reverse motion. I seen a photo of Hubbell's arm when throwing the screwball and it looks like rubber. Mike Cuellar had a decent career, but mostly relievers threw it. Tug McGraw, Willie Hernandez et al
That's what was so amazing about Valenzuela. He pitched an ungodly amount of innings and pitches. Read in 1986, he pitched 20 complete games himself. The entire MLB this year had a total of 28 complete games.

I don't think Valenzuela had any serious arm problems. Don't recall. I mean like Nolan Ryan who pitched 27 years in the bigs and averaged between 250 and 300 innings for at least 15 years, never one arm problem.

Freaks? I guess so.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 102.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what was so amazing about Valenzuela. He pitched an ungodly amount of innings and pitches. Read in 1986, he pitched 20 complete games himself. The entire MLB this year had a total of 28 complete games.

I don't think Valenzuela had any serious arm problems. Don't recall. I mean like Nolan Ryan who pitched 27 years in the bigs and averaged between 250 and 300 innings for at least 15 years, never one arm problem.

Freaks? I guess so.

IMG_1115.jpeg

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Freaks? I guess so.

Back then, it was a point of pride for starting pitchers to pitch complete games. So that was how they prepared their arms in training camp.

These days, it seems most teams are going to the bullpen as soon as the pitcher hits 5-6 inning...even if he's dealing. Sometimes they get pulled even sooner if they are on a pitch count.

Orangeisback

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back then, it was a point of pride for starting pitchers to pitch complete games. So that was how they prepared their arms in training camp.

These days, it seems most teams are going to the bullpen as soon as the pitcher hits 5-6 inning...even if he's dealing. Sometimes they get pulled even sooner if they are on a pitch count.
Yeah, i think there are different reasons. The irony is with all of those PITCH COUNTS etc, the arm injuries are the norm. Don't think it has to do with pitch count. Has to do with mechanics. Today's mechanics with pitchers are just poor.

I see so many modern pitchers, having minimal leg kick with their windup. Watch Tom Seaver for instance. By the end of the first inning, his right knee was stained with clay. He would really drive with his legs. Nolan Ryan too. That left knee would come up to his forehead and he would drive with his legs.

Those mechanics reduce the stress on those ligaments and tendons etc. Nowadays, these youngsters are coming up far more concerned about SPIN RATES rather than pitching strikes etc.

How else do we explain how Tommy John surgery is as common as the seasons when these pitchers pitch counts are so absurdly monitored?