• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scherzer

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it, the more it feels like FZ is really going after Scherzer, as in first choice deal. When does a perfect fitting player ever say 'oh I will only want to go to one of 3 teams' and one is the Giants (not to mention the other 2 being your division rivals this year)?

He wants to come here, we need him, and we want to keep him from the Dodgers and Padres too (his other 2 preferences). I feel like FZ is going to make this happen, but we may not like how he gets it done.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he finds some loophole that allows him to claim Muncy from the doggies, then trades Muncy to the Nats before the doggies realize he was claimed and veto the move.

FZ is CRAZY sneaky like that.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The more I think about it, the more it feels like FZ is really going after Scherzer, as in first choice deal. When does a perfect fitting player ever say 'oh I will only want to go to one of 3 teams' and one is the Giants (not to mention the other 2 being your division rivals this year)?

He wants to come here, we need him, and we want to keep him from the Dodgers and Padres too (his other 2 preferences). I feel like FZ is going to make this happen, but we may not like how he gets it done.
Keeping in mind the package the Yankees are likely sending for Gallo and Joely Rodriguez (the reliever in the mix changed, for the worse for the Yankees, but they get to keep their lowest ranked prospect rumored in the deal), who do you think gets sent over to the Nationals?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Keeping in mind the package the Yankees are likely sending for Gallo and Joely Rodriguez (the reliever in the mix changed, for the worse for the Yankees, but they get to keep their lowest ranked prospect rumored in the deal), who do you think gets sent over to the Nationals?
I'm not as good on that level of detail but maybe just one big name prospect and a couple mid level ones?

Something like Ramos +? Is that realistic for a rental with only 3 teams bidding?

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he finds some loophole that allows him to claim Muncy from the doggies, then trades Muncy to the Nats before the doggies realize he was claimed and veto the move.

FZ is CRAZY sneaky like that.
Don't tease me like that. We got a World Series to win.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not as good on that level of detail but maybe just one big name prospect and a couple mid level ones?

Something like Ramos +?
I really hope its not Ramos. I'd hate to see who could be the first homegrown outfield star shipped off. Yes, I understand that there is no guarantee he even becomes a major league regular but that's the beauty of the farm system, producing guys for the big leagues.

I think that if FZ put together 5 or 6 prospects who are just out of Top 10 rank, but within the Top 30 prospects, that may work. In our favor, Scherzer is really limiting the teams the Nationals can negotiate with. Against us, the other two teams are in our division and could be considered to have deeper farm systems.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope its not Ramos. I'd hate to see who could be the first homegrown outfield star shipped off. Yes, I understand that there is no guarantee he even becomes a major league regular but that's the beauty of the farm system, producing guys for the big leagues.

I think that if FZ put together 5 or 6 prospects who are just out of Top 10 rank, but within the Top 30 prospects, that may work. In our favor, Scherzer is really limiting the teams the Nationals can negotiate with. Against us, the other two teams are in our division and could be considered to have deeper farm systems.
So based on the bolded, it will have to be a name or two that hurts. You really think 5 ok but not great prospects beats what the other 2 teams offer?

This is what I mean by us not liking how it gets done. It could be another Wheeler for Beltran, but you have to take a shot sometimes. And it took 7-8 years for Wheeler to be a factor.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So based on the bolded, it will have to be a name or two that hurts. You really think 5 ok but not great prospects beats what the other 2 teams offer?

This is what I mean by us not liking how it gets done. It could be another Wheeler for Beltran, but you have to take a shot sometimes. And it took 7-8 years for Wheeler to be a factor.
It really depends on what the other two teams offer. If FZ starts the negotiations by offering a Top 10 in the mix, he shoots himself in the foot. He needs to go a bit lower, see what kind of interest he gets from the Nationals and then up the offer if necessary.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It really depends on what the other two teams offer. If FZ starts the negotiations by offering a Top 10 in the mix, he shoots himself in the foot. He needs to go a bit lower, see what kind of interest he gets from the Nationals and then up the offer if necessary.
I suspect he knows this. But I also suspect the other 2 teams are going to make it hurt.

SF11704

Senile Forum Poster
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to believe FZ is locked in on Scherzer but it also raises some other interesting questions ... with only 29 hours left where does he turn to if Scherzer falls through. I haven't heard any other SPs linked to us. Not much chatter about RP either. I'm starting to think the the closer role will flip flop between Rogers and McGee. That's going to make our last 60 games real torture.
With 60 games left Scherzer would get 12 or 13 or 14 starts depending on rotation size. I'm guessing Shimmy is the 5th SP and Long moves to the pen.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have to believe FZ is locked in on Scherzer but it also raises some other interesting questions ... with only 29 hours left where does he turn to if Scherzer falls through. I haven't heard any other SPs linked to us. Not much chatter about RP either. I'm starting to think the the closer role will flip flop between Rogers and McGee. That's going to make our last 60 games real torture.
With 60 games left Scherzer would get 12 or 13 or 14 starts depending on rotation size. I'm guessing Shimmy is the 5th SP and Long moves to the pen.
Just posted this in the other thread FWIW.

Don't forget about Gibson: For those teams that bail out on the Max Scherzer or Jose Berrios sweepstakes, Kyle Gibson remains a solid Plan B. The veteran right-hander added a new cutter this season, made the All-Star team and has a 2.87 ERA. He is coming off three poor starts in a row, however, allowing five runs to the Tigers, then eight runs to Detroit, then walking eight against the Astros. He is signed through 2022 (at a reasonable $7 million), and the Joey Gallo trade indicates the Rangers have kicked their compete window down the road. Gibson makes a lot of sense for the Mets or Giants (who have four starters hitting free agency after 2021). -- David Schoenfield

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Apparently, its not just 3 NL West teams in the hunt.

Reports from John Thomase this morning are that the Nats have allowed the Red Sox to talk to Scherzer and someone is supposed to try to sell him on pitching for the Red Hose today.

Red Sox are also in on Berrios and Rizzo. They're looking for a starter, 1B, OF. If they can open the deal for Rizzo, they'll also take back Craig Kimbrel in the same move.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports from John Thomase this morning are that the Nats have allowed the Red Sox to talk to Scherzer and someone is supposed to try to sell him on pitching for the Red Hose today.

Red Sox are also in on Berrios and Rizzo. They're looking for a starter, 1B, OF. If they can open the deal for Rizzo, they'll also take back Craig Kimbrel in the same move.
Him going to Boston is way better than going to LA or SD, and worse than SF of course.