• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scheduling for the CFP.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMG_0071.jpeg

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
weakest non conference schedule?

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indiana plays FIU, Western Illinois and Charlotte.
Ohio State plays Akron, Western Michigan and Marshall.
Don't bother responding to him. It's a waste of time.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The real money is in the regular season contract for these conferences. Don't get me wrong, they would love more playoff money by having more teams eligible, but they need to keep Fox and the rest of the gang who invested $7-$8 billion into their conferences regular season tv rights happy. The bigger the ratings on these regular season games, the more money everyone makes. Ohio vs Michigan is likely the most cemented game in all sports. It will be on the schedule forever. (unless another pandemic cancels a game)

I foresee, with the ability to lose 2-3 games and still make the playoffs, teams playing tougher schedules now. Big games are just better for recruiting, and better financially especially in future tv/streaming right negotiations. The days of Mercer games are likely going to end in the near future. I don't like that as I love watching these little programs benefit from these big paydays, and it gives the little guy a chance to play the big boys. Liberty has been able to see some success in this regard the past 4-5 years. The problem is that these games don't do anything for the sport. They are viewed as a tune up game and no one, outside the die hard fans, wants to watch it.
Sure, why not play a 13-game schedule so that we can eliminate 70 teams then start a 64 team playoff?

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see them limiting it to 24 teams. They would be leaving A LOT of money on the table. I could see them dumping the Northwestern's and Vanderbilt's of each conference, but someone would have to pick up the FSU's, Clemson's, UNC's, Miami's etc. simply due to the size of their programs and especially due to some of their tv market shares.

I don't see it being any smaller than the NFL (32 teams) and could see it swell to 40 teams.
God, I hope not!

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Indiana plays FIU, Western Illinois and Charlotte.
Ohio State plays Akron, Western Michigan and Marshall.

Well let's see here.

Akron, directional Michigan and Marshall are all FBS programs.

The Oregon Ducks play Idaho, an FCS team.

Oh yeah FIU, directional Illinois and Charlotte are FBS teams.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Gator

Let's just got back to your original statement.

Suppose the Big Ten opts for Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Oregon, USC, and Washington to stop playing each other. These teams can only play games against the remaining 12 conference teams. The SEC decides that Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma, Tennessee, and Texas won’t play each other for the forseeable future but can only schedule the other 10 conference teams.

This isn't going to happen. I will say it is an impossibility. Because of what is likely going to eventually be a 16 team playoff, just like the NFL, many of the best teams will be matched up each season. It's a money game thing. They want higher ratings, because of the money it brings and not putting the best teams together in the conference schedule will hold down the ratings.

Look at this year's schedules and you'll see this is already starting to happen. The fear of losing a game or two in October that will keep you out of the playoffs is gone.
Really? Last year the top 7 teams (top half of conference: Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Iowa, Maryland, Northwestern, and Rutgers) played each other 32 times in 63 games. That is 50.79%. This year the top 9 teams (Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Oregon, Washington, Iowa, Southern California, Maryland, and Wisconsin) play each other 40 out of 81 games or 49.38%. How is this stronger scheduling?

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well let's see here.

1) Idaho would probably be favored to beat Akron. Good FCS teams are usually better than the worst G5 teams.
2) OOC schedule strength shouldn't determined by your worst OOC opponent. Florida, for example, plays 8 SEC games plus FSU, Miami and UCF. Saying their schedule is weak because they play Samford (FCS) is a silly take.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well let's see here.

Not only is Western Illinois an FCS team, they haven't won a game since 2021. Embarrassing for IU to schedule them. Hell there were some D3 teams that rated better than WIU. Just for some perspective.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1) Idaho would probably be favored to beat Akron. Good FCS teams are usually better than the worst G5 teams.
2) OOC schedule strength shouldn't determined by your worst OOC opponent. Florida, for example, plays 8 SEC games plus FSU, Miami and UCF. Saying their schedule is weak because they play Samford (FCS) is a silly take. <--

I didn't say anything about a weak schedule. Not sure why you said that. You mentioned Ohio State's OOC schedule. Just pointing Oregon plays an FCS team. Ohio State doesn't.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not only is Western Illinois an FCS team, they haven't won a game since 2021. Embarrassing for IU to schedule them. Hell there were some D3 teams that rated better than WIU. Just for some perspective.

I'm not trying to defend any teams schedule. I don't like it when any FBS teams play cupcake FCS teams. I wish they kinda stuff would just stop. Sure it's a nice paycheck for the smaller program. But I think it's bad look. Just stick to playing FBS teams.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2) OOC schedule strength shouldn't determined by your worst OOC opponent. Florida, for example, plays 8 SEC games plus FSU, Miami and UCF. Saying their schedule is weak because they play Samford (FCS) is a silly take.
I like how people take things out of context. You started out responding to TrojanFight who was trolling the SEC. He loves to just look at one part of schedules as if 3 or 4 games make the entire schedule. He never wants to look at ALL of the games. You were merely pointing out teams other than Ole Miss's OOC play less than impressive OOC schedules I guess that someone thought you were bashing their conference and the barrage started.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1) Why is playing Western Illinois, by itself, embarrassing? I'm not saying Indiana's schedule isn't easy but a schedule is not made up of ONE game.
#2) How about ND schedule which includes ZERO top 10 teams but does include #95 UVa, #101 Navy, #102 Northern Illinois, and #106 Stanford? Is that embarrassing?

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about a comparison of pertinent schedules? Who plays the easiest schedule?

1715806143102.png

Duckboy33

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,984.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I didn't say anything about a weak schedule. Not sure why you said that. You mentioned Ohio State's OOC schedule. Just pointing Oregon plays an FCS team. Ohio State doesn't.

And the FCS opponent that Oregon is playing is likely better than Akron. What's the point? Playing the worst G5 teams in the country is no better than playing FCS. Particularly the better teams in FCS.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#1) Why is playing Western Illinois, by itself, embarrassing? I'm not saying Indiana's schedule isn't easy but a schedule is not made up of ONE game.
#2) How about ND schedule which includes ZERO top 10 teams but does include #95 UVa, #101 Navy, #102 Northern Illinois, and #106 Stanford? Is that embarrassing?

1. They are the equivalent of a D3 program.
2. ND's schedule is easy. If Stanford, Navy and USC all stink, along with our ACC schedule, we'll have an easy schedule. And yes, when we scheduled Tennessee St last year, it was embarrassing.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. They are the equivalent of a D3 program.
So? According to Massey, the odds of Georgia beating UMass (the #133 team) are 100% (rounded to 3 digits). Can odds of Georgia beating an FCS or DIII be any higher?

2. ND's schedule is easy. If Stanford, Navy and USC all stink, along with our ACC schedule, we'll have an easy schedule. And yes, when we scheduled Tennessee St last year, it was embarrassing.
I don't think there is that much difference between them to worry about. All have parts that people can take pot shots at, if they wish to do so.

I just realized that I downloaded Illinois's schedule and not Indiana's schedule, *$#@!

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So? According to Massey, the odds of Georgia beating UMass (the #133 team) are 100% (rounded to 3 digits). Can odds of Georgia beating an FCS or DIII be any higher?

I don't think there is that much difference between them to worry about. All have parts that people can take pot shots at, if they wish to do so.

I just realized that I downloaded Illinois's schedule and not Indiana's schedule, *$#@!

Combined with also playing FIU and Charlotte OOC, it's extra embarrassing. There is a big difference between playing a respectable FCS team(NDSU, South Dakota State, Montana etc..) and scheduling WIU. Sure, a team like UGA is going to beat them or an FBS equivalent, but I'd argue half of FBS would be in a game with the teams listed above. I don't mind scheduling an FCS team, but there are varying levels to it with me.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an amended comparison with the pertinent teams (those mentioned).

1715837294970.png