• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Schedule Release

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Along with the fact that it's a 10am start and we follow that game up with another 10am start against the Giants.

But I agree that's only the crappy part of the schedule and even that I don't consider a huge deal as every team has some crappy parts to their schedule every year.

Just realized I was wrong. We actually play the Broncos in Denver on a short week following the Rams road game. That's better - Denver is quite a bit closer than NO. Still pretty shitty to have a road trip, short week, and then have to go into altitude to play the defending AFC Champs.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No, it won't be easy. I see 1 loss @SEA, 1 loss @NYG or @NO or @DEN, a random game that no expects to lose like Indy last year, and then if its 12-4...another loss in one of the games mentioned above. I don't think the Rams are quite there yet to where they'll beat us this season.

ok, reasonable enough.

IMO both Arizona and St Louis are hungrier and improving, can't help think we won't sweep both? on the other hand, maybe we sweep Seattle? that is just the tough nature of the NFL, and Divisional games.

regarding the random game we lose, yes that also speaks to the tough nature of the NFL. what is on paper doesn't always pan out, the year before we lost to Minnesota and St. Louis.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
2014 NFL schedule: Behind the scenes of how four men get it made | The MMQB with Peter King

Quick thought on a similar topic and I'll warn everybody right off the bat that this is going to be one of those times where I go off on an angry rant.

Former Steelers and current Redskins S Ryan Clark, who it seems like so many people in the media, including many people at ESPN, are touting as this next future TV star when he's done with football, casually said this morning that the NFL is deliberately making the Broncos play the Patriots again this year because that game............GETS GOOD RATINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (The two teams have met in the regular season every year since 2005 except for in '07 and '10).

Maybe it's because I judge TV and radio people so strictly that this irks me more. Maybe I like to think I know how to spot somebody who should and shouldn't be on TV in different roles, and I'm sure part of it is because I disagree with many people's opinions on Ryan Clark as this future TV star analyst, but that kind of idea/statement irritates me like you would not believe! He's had a few other statements on other topics that have driven me crazy as well that doesn't help his case in my eyes either.

Not that Clark is all bad. I think he does think deeply on some things before he speaks and is far more reasonable than a lot of other people in the media but he has moments where he says something that irritates me really, really bad.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Wow. How does something so dumb get past the editor?

Now I'm terrible at math, but the predictions add up to 290 total wins vs 222 total losses, which would mean that the 32 teams would each average just over 9 wins, no?

I'm assuming they just had each blogger predict each team's schedule without worrying about anything else. And in my experience, the bloggers tend toward homer status for the teams they cover.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm assuming they just had each blogger predict each team's schedule without worrying about anything else. And in my experience, the bloggers tend toward homer status for the teams they cover.

I completely understand the individual bloggers having a tint of homer-ism to their predictions, but IMO it looks really ridiculous when they are all put together. 17 teams with 9 or more wins? 27 at 8-8 or better? It makes ESPN look more like the farce it really is.

I suppose I just assumed ESPN wouldn't want fans to know that the Emperor has no clothes.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely understand the individual bloggers having a tint of homer-ism to their predictions, but IMO it looks really ridiculous when they are all put together. 17 teams with 9 or more wins? 27 at 8-8 or better? It makes ESPN look more like the farce it really is.

I suppose I just assumed ESPN wouldn't want fans to know that the Emperor has no clothes.

I suppose they were pressed for time to produce these. Even though they've known the opponents for a long time, the schedule may have little nuances to it. But what they could've done is have each blogger map out each game. Then they should do a spreadsheet and games that they agree on, just say what those are. Then the games they disagree on, they could do a mini exchange. If they come to some conclusion that way, great. They could have the tiebreaker on the rest.

If that is too much, then for the games they disagree on, have the other bloggers vote. Perhaps in-conference or division games, they could limit the vote to bloggers of that conference or division. There would hopefully be less than half the schedule of disagreement of any given team.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When I say map out, I'm just saying win or loss. No real details. And a lot of this can be done before the scheduled release because we already knew the teams and where they play.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might sound like a lot, but what are they paid for?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This might sound like a lot, but what are they paid for?

You know, I have asked myself the same question many times. They do have to read the beat writers stories and then repeat the same things in a less articulate fashion, though, so there's that.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
So even the Hawks' ESPN blogger is a whiner.

Blount: If they earn home-field advantage with this nightmarish schedule, they will have earned it the hard way. It's a brutal schedule for the Seahawks, especially down the stretch. From games 10 to 15, the Seahawks play six games over only 35 days, including two in 18 days against the 49ers.

Ummmmm...from games 10 to 15, pretty much every NFL team except those with later byes plays six games over 35 days. Hell, the Niners play six games over only 34 days, including two in 18 days against the Seahawks.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So even the Hawks' ESPN blogger is a whiner.

Blount: If they earn home-field advantage with this nightmarish schedule, they will have earned it the hard way. It's a brutal schedule for the Seahawks, especially down the stretch. From games 10 to 15, the Seahawks play six games over only 35 days, including two in 18 days against the 49ers.

Ummmmm...from games 10 to 15, pretty much every NFL team except those with later byes plays six games over 35 days. Hell, the Niners play six games over only 34 days, including two in 18 days against the Seahawks.

True, but every blogger was asked to name a schedule gripe. That stretch does stand out - mostly for opponents. My guess that came first before he counted the number of days.

Or maybe I'm misremembering and talking about another team's schedule. To be honest, I've spent most time exclusively on our schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
only your fan base cares about your schedule, there's no sympathy from anybody.

in the big picture, every season there are changes such play-off teams doing bad, and bad teams doing well. so what you see on paper won't be what we see thru the season.

then there's that 'any given Sunday', and 'trap' games, so most times the concern IMO are "2nd tier" teams, not the GOOD teams. the 49ers will be fired up for the good teams automatically.