• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Scarlett Johansson Sues Disney for Breach of Contract Over Black Widow Release

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not at all what I said.

but do you think anything that ScarJo would have done would have brought in those kinds of numbers? I mean, she's a good actress and brings in some kind of pull, but not on that level.
I will hypothesize that she may have acted in some big budget, high grossing films.
Or not.
Without knowing how to access that alternate universe I will never know.

But, she did act for Disney and had a contract with them that they failed to honor.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'd be a beast of a Terminator.
Its pretty crazy that we've had the Rock in this world as a star for so long and he hasn't been killing it in summer blockbuster action titles like Arnold did. The MCU seems to have sucked the life out of the big action movie scene.

ScarJo, meanwhile, has done movies with Christopher Nolan, Sophia Coppola, Coen Bros, Noah Baumbach. She definitely has better connections.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no, I just don't care.

I don't see a problem with what Disney did.

How many times do you think they pushed this movie because of that clause in her contract? This movie has been delayed for release since COVID hit and theaters closed. It is starting to affect their Phase 5 or whatever of MCU. They needed to put it out and for it to make money. She can't stop an entire movie from being released because of that one clause.
Then they should have renegotiated when they had the chance.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To get into the whole ScarJo vs Rock thing, ScarJo has the better acting career and has been in more good movies no question but the Rock is the bigger star. Black Widow represented ScarJo's financial peak. Its her own MCU movie that came out after Endgame which...well...yeah. The Rock has also peaked imo but his net worth is double ScarJo's and he can ride the Moana franchise into the sunset.

He’s still being treated like one of the biggest stars in the industry and still a relatively new face in Hollywood since Moana and Fast & the Furious. Compared to Scarlett it’s not even close. Her star began burning out years ago which is why she can afford to battle Disney while the Rock - while rich - still has many years of milking fame ahead of him,

Reactions: ill

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its pretty crazy that we've had the Rock in this world as a star for so long and he hasn't been killing it in summer blockbuster action titles like Arnold did. The MCU seems to have sucked the life out of the big action movie scene.

Arnold appealed to everyone. A true icon. The Rock will always be a pro wrestler first. Better movie career than Hogan but obviously no Arnold

Far as the MCU movies go - Lazy CGI crap with corny stories and bad acting.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow, this got ugly quick.
I think the sequel might be in trouble.....lol

Disney's response:

"There is no merit whatsoever to this filing," a spokesperson for the Walt Disney Company said in a statement obtained by PEOPLE. "The lawsuit is especially sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the COVID-19 pandemic."

"Disney has fully complied with Ms. Johansson's contract and furthermore, the release of Black Widow on Disney+ with Premier Access has significantly enhanced her ability to earn additional compensation on top of the $20M she has received to date,"

Wouldn't suing Disney be like heckling Bill Burr? You just know you are gonna lose

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"the release of Black Widow on Disney+ with Premier Access has significantly enhanced her ability to earn additional compensation on top of the $20M she has received to date,"

You see the way that reads ....This is Disney saying we paid you enough ..we don't give a shit what your contract says.
And they listed the 20 million number in the hope she loses public support.

I'm really looking forward to Disney losing this lawsuit and I hope this becomes a huge PR nightmare for them.

LMAO Good luck with that

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not at all what I said.

but do you think anything that ScarJo would have done would have brought in those kinds of numbers? I mean, she's a good actress and brings in some kind of pull, but not on that level.
To be fair, how often was she the headline, above the title, main draw?

Lucy…
Black Widow…
???

Is there another I am forgetting about? She has been the CO-lead a ton of times, but hardly ever THE lead. She is not (yet?) Julia Roberts or Meryl Streep (box office pull-wise).

Reactions: ill

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then they should have renegotiated when they had the chance.
Why? They can fight it and own the movie rights. She ain't going to win this, but she 100% has to fight it

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Wow, this got ugly quick.
I think the sequel might be in trouble.....lol

Disney's response:

"There is no merit whatsoever to this filing," a spokesperson for the Walt Disney Company said in a statement obtained by PEOPLE. "The lawsuit is especially sad and distressing in its callous disregard for the horrific and prolonged global effects of the COVID-19 pandemic."

"Disney has fully complied with Ms. Johansson's contract and furthermore, the release of Black Widow on Disney+ with Premier Access has significantly enhanced her ability to earn additional compensation on top of the $20M she has received to date,"

To me this reeks of "I am a stuffy bitch and I want more".. I hope she gets embarrassed!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arnold appealed to everyone. A true icon. The Rock will always be a pro wrestler first. Better movie career than Hogan but obviously no Arnold

Far as the MCU movies go - Lazy CGI crap with corny stories and bad acting.
I think the Rock appeals to everyone. I just think the action genre just isnt very strong right now. The Rock has proven he can be in the movie game for ...lets see...18 years now. The Rundown was back in 2003. He is known for...Fast Five and Jumanji? Eh. Just not a lot of great action movies in the past 20 years tbh

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

ScarJo, meanwhile, has done movies with Christopher Nolan, Sophia Coppola, Coen Bros, Noah Baumbach. She definitely has better connections.
She is certainly the bigger talent when it comes to acting, but The Rock is the bigger draw in 2021.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who was a bigger star first?

ScarJo's acting credits predate The Rock's though not by a lot. She was a child actress. His first lead role was The Mummy sequel in 2002. Neither were what I'd call a much of a box office draw until the Fast & Furious stuff for The Rock and her Black Widow character. I'm not even into that junk but I've been aware of The Rock as an actor for over 20 years.

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me this reeks of "I am a stuffy bitch and I want more".. I hope she gets embarrassed!
I don't think it makes her come off as a stuffy bitch. She has to do something and there is a lot of money on the line here

But I also see where Disney is saying "we cannot delay this movie any longer"

ill

THRILLHO
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ScarJo's acting credits predate The Rock's though not by a lot. She was a child actress. His first lead role was The Mummy sequel in 2002. Neither were what I'd call a much of a box office draw until the Fast & Furious stuff for The Rock and her Black Widow character. I'm not even into that junk but I've been aware of The Rock as an actor for over 20 years.
I think The Mummy sequel was The Rocks 10th highest grossing movie. That was a decent movie series when it came out.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it makes her come off as a stuffy bitch. She has to do something and there is a lot of money on the line here

But I also see where Disney is saying "we cannot delay this movie any longer"
Disney stated they have fully complied with her contract, now she is not happy to me it reeks of stuffy bitch.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
for child actors growing up and being fucked up?

Disney gave them jobs and fame at a young age. Them growing up and being fucked up is on the individual, not the company that employed them.
You sound like a lawyer for gun manufacturers, tobacco, or big pharma.

Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. Just saying.