• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Satisfied with the Cano signing thus far?

Are you satisfied with the Cano signing thus far?

• Complete bust - We were better off pocketing the money or signing a variety of free agents

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Highly disappointed - Expected much more. High avg and 25-30 hrs at least.

• Disappointed, but optimistic about the future (next 2-3 years)

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Satisfied - He has done what he could given the talent around him

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • Thrilled - Even with sub par numbers he has brought a legit hitter that pitchers must fear

• Total voters

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is everyone's consensus on the Cano signing thus far? I think we can all agree that money wise the Mariners had to drastically overpay to lure Cano away from the Yankees so let's cast that aside for this particular discussion and purely focus on his performance and production in an M's uniform.

His first year (2014) I thought he was exactly what we bargained for. Sure, I would have loved more power from him but he hit over .330 for most of the season until tailing off in September dropping his bat avg to .314

This year (2015) Cano started off with the most dismal 3 months of his career hitting for no avg (.238) and no power (4 hrs). After that though he returned to the usual Cano we have been accustom to, hitting .326 with 15 hrs and 49 rbis. I'm relieved that Cano bounced back but we can't totally dismiss those 3 months in which he was completely inept at the plate. If he had come out the gates hitting .320 to .330 maybe the Mariners win 6-7 more games in those 3 month spans and maybe we'd be in the race for the AL West which at this moment has Texas leading with only 83 wins.

Pencil me in as "Disappointed, but optimistic about the future (next 2-3 years)"

I like what we have moving forward with Cano, Cruz, Seager and Trombo at the heart of the order. The problem is with the rest of the guys around them.

Cano is someone that I could see still hitting .300 + well into his 30s. He is just a pure hitter who doesn't necessarily need to rely on power to be a dangerous 2 or 3 hole hitter.

What is slightly concerning is the fact that he set a career high in strikeouts. Last year he had 68 ks and this year 101 ks (with some games remaining).

What are your guy's thoughts on Cano so far? Has he been a disappointment or are you satisfied with what he has done given the talent around him. But most importantly, what is your outlook on Cano moving forward. Was the second half resurgence more of what we can expect from Cano or was the first 3 months a major red flag as a sign of decline?

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Massive gross overpay, but the Mariners could afford these types of signings with the Root sports deal which is bringing in $$$ by the truck load. Cano does bring some leadership that has been sorely lacking from this franchise for ages.

My concern is the length of the deal. When you commit that kind of money, down the road when the play declines, upper mgmt will still exert pressure to put him out there to justify the money, which always makes it worse. It can easily turn into a flogging a dead horse thing and fans will be soured by the wasted starts.

Cano was in an obvious slump this year and that shocked many. The timing couldn't of been worse.

While I'm glad to see the Z kicked to the curb where he belongs, the concern I have with the Mariners is the absent ownership and the little motivation to build a WS winner because the Root sports revenue will be flowing in no matter what. Without that motivation, expect more Meh from this franchise for years to come.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
home runs aren't what i care about with cano.

i'll give him the benefit of the doubt for the first half of this season with his grandpa dying and being out of it. that was, by definition, an anomaly.

if he has another prolonged slump of the worst hitting of his career, then i'll start throwing around words like "dissatisfied" or "decline." and "bust" or "complete bust" don't belong in the coversation. without cano, there isn't a chance in hell we could've gotten cruz this year. now we have both of them, and we might even be able to get other decent hitters to come here without having to give them a 50% contract bump.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If not for the fact that he has hit incredibly well since getting out from his slump, I'd say disappointed. But over the last 60 or 70 games or so he has hit at an MVP level and there is no reason to think he's now hitting his decline.

That being said, that huge slump he had made me realize that there is a possibility he could be a $24m hole in our roster and if we can find someone to trade him to that will eat his entire salary, I say do it.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My answer isn't one of the options. But I am satisfied with his play, so my vote goes to satisfied. However I would add that I don't think his contract is team friendly and I don't think the money and results match. I am mostly disappointed in the way the team tried to build around Cano. Jack Z shit the bed the last off season and the Mariners went into the season missing key complementary pieces in order to succeed.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm very satifisfied with the signing... there are 8 offensive players and multiple pitchers used during a game to get the job done... Cano, is a great hitter... Very happy he's on our team...