• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Santiago signs

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, our light-hitting, switch-hitting Latin utility infielder has emerged.

How ON EARTH can the Reds do without their Latin love child?

This guy has a long career with the Tigers.

But it solves a roster support problem.

RAMON SANTIAGO

Hit-n-Run

Go Reds!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jocketty was quoted at the Winter Meetings expressing the desire to sign a swith-hitting middle infielder. Looks like he found his patented "piece of Santiago" backup SS.

I put a premium on great defense, but not as much with the Reds' utility guys. All of the Reds' starting infielders played 150+ games last season and none of them are subject to late inning defensive replacements. I prefer a glove only guy in AAA for DL replacement situation and a stronger bat UT guy for the role they are most often used in, late inning PH. With the great pitching, the Reds find themselves in a lot of late inning close games and those AB'S off the bench can be crucial.

Would be better if the everyday lineup didn't have as many holes and the team scored more early runs. But, that's another story altogether.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What seems to be an annual party ritual for the Reds is to sign some Latin infielder for one year, let him walk in free agency after hitting .184 ... then go out and sign still a different Latin infielder the next year. I have no love for Cesar Izturis, but he went FA, signed elsewhere ... and the Reds filled the hole with this guy, who is also 33 and can't hit with a canoe paddle.

The problem is what happened with Cairo. If you don't let him walk, he gets a 2-year deal and then he gets more expensive than he's worth.

I'd just as soon they use a kid from the system -- Negron, Valaika, Hen-Rod -- just three who come to mind in the last couple of years. They aren't going to be any worse. Valaika played a little regularly at Miami last year IICR.

As far as bench bats go, it seems pretty hard for anybody to get one, unless it's in September and the other teams find a guy who hits 12 HR in 31 days.

We get Neftali Soto.

Last edited by a moderator:

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there is a good glove SS that hits too, he isn't an unemployed utility guy- he's platooning or starting. You gotta have one...because as bad as I don't want a .210 hitter in the lineup, the probability is that Cozart isn't going to go on a Ripken consecutive games streak, and there is zero guarantee Rodriguez or Hannahan is going to hit either, but chances they'll give up blunder runs out of position as SS, that they can't make up for at the plate, are considerable.

You just gotta have a REAL backup SS on a 25 man roster, just like you have to have a backup catcher and a 4th OF. Hamilton is a rushing error machine at SS, Frazier covers ground like a fire hydrant, and Hannahan is no better fielder than Frazier, and no better hitter than the hitless utility guys we sign. I don't value Hannahan much- he's a corner infielder that can't hit. He's the guy Id look to dump...Or the 12-13th pitcher...If Schumaker can play 2b-of, he can play 3b...Besides, if you use one of those guys as a full in SS for a weeklong gimpy Cozart, whoever else takes their spot is a second stringer too. Better to be weaker at only one spot, especially if he may play slick D and get done outs as a bonus. I don't want to use a minor league option for a 3 day need at SS either.

I would always have a capable second SS on the roster. It shouldn't hurt the offense if they don't have 2 less D positions hitting .225 too, and if they do- the backup SS isn't the real problem in the first place.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Santiago is a real 2B and he has a lot of years in the league, fwtw.

Hell, you can't really have too many of these guys stashed in the system. They're worth their weight in gold at the trade deadline for teams that need a glove to get through September.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I came around a couple decades too late. Now, there are pinch hitters that don't hit, utility infielders that glove but don't hit AND same that hit but don't glove AND guys that don't go either, catchers ditto. There are even LOOGIES that don't get lefties out...and the worst payday allowed pays what the President makes.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it amazing that guys who hit .189 can stand in the free agent line and end up with a contract -- all the way up to the day they decide they don't want to play anymore.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Tigers fan I wished for years to see the Tigers replace his ass.

Can't have a team full of all-stars and you have to save money somewhere, he is not the worst but my guess is you will be wishing for a guy to replace him right quick.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Been waiting a longgggggg time for this. Enjoy fellas. There isn't one thing Ramon does really well. But he'll be ready when called upon for about whatever you want. Leyland loved him.

JohnU

Aristocratic Hoosier
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, it ain't like he's going to be the regular 2B. Reds already have one of those.
And a shortstop.
So he's the annual Latin lover backup infielder.
If he hits .190, it's an upgrade over the last 3 seasons.

Redsfan1507

It is what it is
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The hitless utility infielder is like life insurance...gotta pay for it, hope to never use it.