• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sagarin Conference Rankings week 3

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think Sagarin's rankings make as much sense as the AP?

3 games in, yes absolutely. Both have teams currently in the top 25 that will finish outside of anyone's rankings...neither has figured out who those pretenders are yet, it's a long season.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 games in, yes absolutely. Both have teams currently in the top 25 that will finish outside of anyone's rankings...neither has figured out who those pretenders are yet, it's a long season.
I guess this is where the disconnect in logic comes in. LSU being ranked 17 spots ahead of Wisconsin, ND being ranked 6 spots ahead of Michigan State, both Ole Miss and Oklahoma being ranked top 10 (Oklahoma ahead of Clemson??), USC being ranked 25th at 1-2 by getting smoked by the only two good teams they've faced, Kansas St. being ranked ahead of teams like Wisconsin, MSU, Utah, North Carolina, etc. for no reason at all.

Both his team rankings and conference rankings are absurdly bad based on actual performance this season, which I guess is why we're at this point in the conversation.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there's any truth to this, it further strengthens my position that he is an idiot, because that is one of the most absurd things I've ever heard, especially given the 17 spots between the teams.

You do understand that home field advantage is a thing right? If a freak meteorite hit the Ohio State Stadium destroying it and you had to play the remainder of your schedule away...at the other teams stadium...you don't think that would put you at a disadvantage? Suddenly you'd have to play Rutgers, Indiana, Northwestern, Nebraska, and Michigan away instead of home.

Since Wisconsin's game against LSU they played mid major Akron. And beat them soundly as a good team should do to a mid major. Then they struggled to beat 0-2 mid major Georgia State. Currently rated #124 Georgia State.

LSU since then beat mid major Jax State. But not by as much as they should have. Then they beat P5 and fellow SEC member Miss St by just barely over the home field advantage amount.

Next week LSU plays Auburn. A 1-2 P5 team. Wisconsin on the other hand plays a 2-0 Michigan State team. Ranked 28 by Sagarin and 8 by the humans. A team that beat Notre Dame at Notre Dame. If Wisconsin wins they will get a nice bump by the Sagarin computer.

What is the point of all this? Sagarin is a very good starting point for figuring out who to bet on when you dont' know a lot about the teams involved.

I'm going to guess that you probably don't follow Major League Soccer. (MLS). I like soccer and even I don't follow MLS. It's really low quality soccer. BUT....if someone forced you to wager on a match between Real Salt Lake and Orlando City SC...and they told you the match was at Real Salt Lake, you could go to Sagarin.
Real Salt Lake 2.02 + 0.56 points for home field = 2.58. Orlando City 1.83. You would expect Real Salt Lake to win by 0.75 goals. It would be better than betting blind on the game. By a lot.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do understand that home field advantage is a thing right? If a freak meteorite hit the Ohio State Stadium destroying it and you had to play the remainder of your schedule away...at the other teams stadium...you don't think that would put you at a disadvantage? Suddenly you'd have to play Rutgers, Indiana, Northwestern, Nebraska, and Michigan away instead of home.

Since Wisconsin's game against LSU they played mid major Akron. And beat them soundly as a good team should do to a mid major. Then they struggled to beat 0-2 mid major Georgia State. Currently rated #124 Georgia State.

LSU since then beat mid major Jax State. But not by as much as they should have. Then they beat P5 and fellow SEC member Miss St by just barely over the home field advantage amount.

Next week LSU plays Auburn. A 1-2 P5 team. Wisconsin on the other hand plays a 2-0 Michigan State team. Ranked 28 by Sagarin and 8 by the humans. A team that beat Notre Dame at Notre Dame. If Wisconsin wins they will get a nice bump by the Sagarin computer.

What is the point of all this? Sagarin is a very good starting point for figuring out who to bet on when you dont' know a lot about the teams involved.

I'm going to guess that you probably don't follow Major League Soccer. (MLS). I like soccer and even I don't follow MLS. It's really low quality soccer. BUT....if someone forced you to wager on a match between Real Salt Lake and Orlando City SC...and they told you the match was at Real Salt Lake, you could go to Sagarin.
Real Salt Lake 2.02 + 0.56 points for home field = 2.58. Orlando City 1.83. You would expect Real Salt Lake to win by 0.75 goals. It would be better than betting blind on the game. By a lot.
Actually Ohio State is 20-0 on the road under Urban Meyer so I'd be fine with it. That's beside the point though. Your rationale would maybe make some sense if LSU was ranked a spot or two ahead of Wisconsin (even though I see no real life reason to rank them higher), but under no circumstances is it rational to rank them 17 spots higher at this point.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only actual article I have seen so far was written by Scott Wolf. The same guy that keeps ranking Michigan number 1. There is definitely something going on. SC stated Price left for personal reasons. But the lack of discipline on the field. Flagrant penalties. And Heltons complete loss of control of the team. Combined with Darnold being named starting QB. Which I don't think is coincidence. Leads me to believe there may be a lot of merit. In the rumors of price punching Helton in practice . As well as the rumors of transfers. It's time SC actually put some effort into squiring a solid coach imo
USC Fans, were in trouble. (self.CFB)
submitted an hour ago * by USC Trojanskeyvaniath
247 rumored that Freshman "The pancake Kid" OG EJ price is transferring to Gerogia and was kicked off the team for punching Clay Helton.http://usc.247sports.com/Board/29/Co...Price-47626395
Others to follow; 4* Jamel Cook Freshman S, 5* #1 OT Chuma Edoga Junior(A next-in line captain) 3* Ath Pie Young Freshman (Miami,FL) too expected to transfer. Not a good look, with Chad Wheeler and Zach Banner, although their ritual of a false start a game, are leaving; their backups leaving. 5* #1 2013 RS Junior QB Max Browne most likely transferring as a grad (i'd assume back home to Washington to WSU to throw the ball for a year before the pros); JR playmaker adoree jackson, Junior WR Juju smith gone after this year, both to the NFL is expected.. This coaching staff has lost complete control and is a dumpster fire from start to finish. Hang on boys, it's going to be a long one. (Unless our inevitable loss to Utah somehow gets a man 5 gamesinto his 5 year guaranteed deal fired. Chuma Transfer (http://usc.247sports.com/Board/29/Co...ming--47626838)
Edit: Update - was not Kicked off team but I assume he is still expected to transfer. Helton will be addressing it today.
ESPN podcast made a funny comment that "USC should just throw $15mil (2x Saban money) at a great coach because we end up having to pay twice anyways, might as well get a good one the first time. "
Just end me.

Just Internet smoke, no idea if their is a fire

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except for the 2013 season where Ohio State lost in Indianapolis to Michigan State and then lost in Miami to Clemson.

20-2.
Those are neutral site games. In road games, as you illustrated them, we're unbeaten.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not Sagarin. I don't have access to his methods/formulas. But here's my best guess.

Wisconsin beat LSU 16 to 14. However, home field advantage is worth 2.7 points. On a neutral field that would be a score of 13.3 to 14 in favor of LSU. If played at LSU the score would be 13.3 to 16.7 further in favor of LSU. Because Wisconsin played at home and won by less than the home field advantage, they didn't really get full credit for the win.

Sorry, according to Texas posters this DOES NOT COUNT. Texas plays Oklahoma in Dallas, TX, at the Texas State Fair. Which is a neutral field.

LSU played Wisconsin in Green Bay. A Neutral field. Your 3 point home field advantage is invalidated.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D