• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sagarin Conference Rankings week 3

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Early computer polls are generally wretched. Either completely biased with out dated or circumstantial evidence (recruiting ranks).

I don't find it all that much worse than humans. We're all victims of limited data, and we all adjust each week as we get more data.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aren't you the Hawkeyes fan that said Ohio State would lose 3 regular season games this year? If that wasn't you my bad. If it was you which 3 games will the Buckeyes lose? Luckily Ohio State doesn't have to play Iowa (again) this year though!:D
I said between 2 and 3. I had them losing to Oklahoma though so now that number would be 1 or 2. I still think they could do that although the D had been better early than I thought it'd be. I really don't know what to make of Oklahoma at this point.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I am hung up on the other three conferences not named SEC being ranked better than the B1G. Even though the B1G is the ONLY conference with a winning record against the other Power 5s.

Since you B1G types seem to get....defensive...about criticisms about the B1G, I'm going to pick on my own conference and tell you why the ACC is not very good.

Why the ACC is not very good:

0-3 Virginia. They lost to 1AA Richmond....badly. They lost to P5 Oregon....badly. They lost to mid major Connecticut.

2-1 Pittsburg lost to P5 Oklahoma State.

2-1 North Carolina. They lost to P5 UGA. They allowed 1AA James Madison to score 28 points on them.

3-0 Miami. They have only played patsies.

1-2 Duke. Lost to P5 Northwestern.

2-1 Va Tech. Lost by 21 points to P5 Tennessee. Only beat 1AA Liberty 36-13.

3-0 Georgia Tech. Only managed to beat 1AA Mercer 35-10. Mercer did not play football at all from 1941 to 2013.

2-1 NC State. Lost to mid major ECU. Allowed mid major ODU to score 22 points against them.

3-0 Clemson. Struggled to beat 1AA Troy 30-24.

1-2 Boston College. Only win was against 1A independent UMASS.

1-2 Syracuse. Only win against 1AA Colgate. Lost to mid major USF badly.

2-1 FSU. Got humiliated at home.

3-0 Wake Forest. Only scored 7 points vs Tulane. Allowed Delaware to score 21 points on them.

3-0 Louisville. I actually have no negatives with them. Only team in the ACC where I have no negatives.

Because of all the reasons listed above, the ACC is not the #1 conference. Now, before you start thumping your chest about how your conference should be ranked higher....go through team by team. And look at every single negative. All of them. And stop looking at your own conference with rose colored glasses. It's not just about the record against other P5 teams. It's also about the record against the mid majors and 1AA opponents. It's the whole picture....

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I said between 2 and 3. I had them losing to Oklahoma though so now that number would be 1 or 2. I still think they could do that although the D had been better early than I thought it'd be. I really don't know what to make of Oklahoma at this point.

Just wanted to make sure that was you. As far as Ohio State's 3-0 start, gotta be honest...didn't see that happening. With all the youth they have (even after the Houston loss) I still thought OK would have been the better team + the advantage of the game being in Norman. And I'm w/ you, I don't know what to make of the Sooners either. Of course they could still win out & be the Big XII champs but I think a return to the Playoff for them is out of the question now.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't find it all that much worse than humans. We're all victims of limited data, and we all adjust each week as we get more data.

7 Oklahoma
10 Mississippi
12 LSU
19 Iowa
22 Notre Dame
25 Southern California
28 Michigan State
29 Wisconsin

:susp:

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since you B1G types seem to get....defensive...about criticisms about the B1G, I'm going to pick on my own conference and tell you why the ACC is not very good.

0-3 Virginia. They lost to 1AA Richmond....badly. They lost to P5 Oregon....badly. They lost to mid major Connecticut.

2-1 North Carolina. They lost to P5 UGA. They allowed 1AA James Madison to score 28 points on them.

3-0 Georgia Tech. Only managed to beat 1AA Mercer 35-10. Mercer did not play football at all from 1941 to 2013.

2-1 NC State. Lost to mid major ECU. Allowed mid major ODU to score 22 points against them.

3-0 Wake Forest. Only scored 7 points vs Tulane. Allowed Delaware to score 21 points on them.

3-0 Louisville. I actually have no negatives with them. Only team in the ACC where I have no negatives.

Because of all the reasons listed above, the ACC is not the #1 conference. Now, before you start thumping your chest about how your conference should be ranked higher....go through team by team. And look at every single negative. All of them. And stop looking at your own conference with rose colored glasses. It's not just about the record against other P5 teams. It's also about the record against the mid majors and 1AA opponents. It's the whole picture....
Now let me take a break from my regularly scheduled snarkiness and ask one question, are we supposed to also exam the entirety of last season or does it only go back to a certain week in Sagarin's?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
7 Oklahoma
10 Mississippi
12 LSU
19 Iowa
22 Notre Dame
25 Southern California
28 Michigan State
29 Wisconsin

:susp:

Yeah, Iowa all the way up at 19 is ridiculous, can't disagree there.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Iowa all the way up at 19 is ridiculous, can't disagree there.
Well, I have it on good authority that Iowa has the best player in the Big10.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You do realize if the B1G wasn't ranked last there wouldn't be this outcry? Sure, you can do your exercise for every conference. You can go top to bottom and point out negatives, just like you can do every single year with every single conference. That doesn't prove anything.

The point is, right now the B1G has 4 teams in the top 11 of the AP poll, 5 overall (2nd most among all conferences). Two currently ranked wins with two more right outside of the rankings in ND and Oregon. If you want to look at the bottom? Out of 14 teams, only two are currently under .500, while 8/14 are still undefeated. Of the two teams that are under .500, one of them has a win over P5 Duke, so our worst is automatically not as bad as the ACC's. We're 3-1 vs. the Pac12, 2-0 vs. the Big 12, 1-2 vs. the ACC, 1-0 vs. the SEC and 1-0 vs. ND.

That is not the resume of the worst P5 conference.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PAC 12 beat Kansas State, Rutgers, Texas, Virginia, T Tech,

PAC 12 lost to Nebraska, Minnesota, Alabama, Michigan, Texas A&M

5 Power 5 wins three were over the Big 12
5 Power 5 losses three were to the B1G
I agree when you look at the losses and scheduling. I don't see how the PAC could be ranked that high. Looking at the scheduling and wins I don't see any way the B1G would be at the bottom.I don't have much faith in Sagari. IMO

BIG X
ACC
SEC
PAC 12
BIG XII

And the BIG XII and PAC are a close call right now

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

thats because most early models have the same informational bias that human polls have and they are not strictly running the 2016 numbers

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree when you look at the losses and scheduling. I don't see how the PAC could be ranked that high. Looking at the scheduling and wins I don't see any way the B1G would be at the bottom.I don't have much faith in Sagari. IMO

BIG X
ACC
SEC
PAC 12
BIG XII

And the BIG XII and PAC are a close call right now

Whats going on at USC? Lots of crazy rumors flying around

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now let me take a break from my regularly scheduled snarkiness and ask one question, are we supposed to also exam the entirety of last season or does it only go back to a certain week in Sagarin's?

In another 2 weeks last season won't matter with the Sagarin ratings. But if you're actually willing to take a critical eye at your own conference, just look at this year's negatives. And ultimately, why are any of us that invested in how our conferences are doing? I really don't want to waste too much of my time worrying about how Boston College, UVA, and others are bringing down some sort of conference average.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In another 2 weeks last season won't matter with the Sagarin ratings. But if you're actually willing to take a critical eye at your own conference, just look at this year's negatives. And ultimately, why are any of us that invested in how our conferences are doing? I really don't want to waste too much of my time worrying about how Boston College, UVA, and others are bringing down some sort of conference average.
Because no one wants to be the tallest person at a midget convention. We want to be treated as regular size people.

And you are the one who posts the "rankings" so you should be asking why do these conference rankings matter to you?

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PM droider, I'm sure he can contact his Arby Sauces.
Uh yeah I'll stick with google and twitter. Looks like Masina and Hill were erased from the roster. Not much information still looking.Darnold was named the starter :noidea:

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh yeah I'll stick with google and twitter. Looks like Masina and Hill were erased from the roster. Not much information still looking.Darnold was named the starter :noidea:
I just found some of his sources.
tacobellsachets-795x413.jpg