• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Sagarin Conference Rankings week 3

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just found some of his sources.
Found this on a Michigan blog :noidea:

This is coming from r/cfb whose sources are a couple posts from a USC board, but it sounds like the transfer talk is legit.

Allegedely OL EJ Price punched head coach Clay Helton and is transferring to Georgia. The post also mentions a number of other players that plan to transfer:

• Freshman Safety Jamel Cook
  • Junior OT Chuma Edoga
  • Junior QB Max Browne
The post also mentions Adoree Jackson and Juju Smith however I am not sure if those would be transfers as they are probably NFL-ready.

Apparently Helton will address the situation today but if there are lots of transfers, this can't be a good look to recruits.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is transferring in the middle of the season.

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because no one wants to be the tallest person at a midget convention. We want to be treated as regular size people.

And you are the one who posts the "rankings" so you should be asking why do these conference rankings matter to you?

I just post them as a conversation piece. And also as a gauge to see who here at the hoop can actually look at the big picture on things...

TigerBait1971

Roll Tide? What? FUCK YOU! lolz
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OL EJ Price punched head coach Clay Helton

Chuck-Taylor-Laughs-Then-Shakes-His-Head.gif

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much in the actual media.Looks like SC is trying to keep what eery going on quiet. They are saying EJ Price left the team for personal reasons. But theres a lot of talk Price punched Helton in the face during practice

Damn, what does a coach have to do to get punched in the face by a player...inquiring minds want to know.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, what does a coach have to do to get punched in the face by a player...inquiring minds want to know.
Im not sure all SC is releasing is that Price left the team for personal reasons. Theres a lot of people talking about Price punching Helton as well as transfers including Browne. But given the actions of SC players on the field vs Alabama and Utah State i wouldnt discount the rumors. This team completely lacks discipline. And that is on Helton. I think he's lost control of this team

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You do realize if the B1G wasn't ranked last there wouldn't be this outcry? Sure, you can do your exercise for every conference. You can go top to bottom and point out negatives, just like you can do every single year with every single conference. That doesn't prove anything.

The point is, right now the B1G has 4 teams in the top 11 of the AP poll, 5 overall (2nd most among all conferences). Two currently ranked wins with two more right outside of the rankingsa in ND and Oregon. If you want to look at the bottom? Out of 14 teams, only two are currently under .500, while 8/14 are still undefeated. Of the two teams that are under .500, one of them has a win over P5 Duke, so our worst is automatically not as bad as the ACC's. We're 3-1 vs. the Pac12, 2-0 vs. the Big 12, 1-2 vs. the ACC, 1-0 vs. the SEC and 1-0 vs. ND.

That is not the resume of the worst P5 conference.

You also have 2 in Sagarin's top 5 and 4 in his top 28. The problem is you also have 56, 57, 58, 72, 84, 102 and 103 which is not good when there are only 60 P5 teams.

I don't think anyone on this board is going to argue with you that the top half of the B1G is as good as anybody and a really strong #1 contender...top 4 teams are even a stonger argument, but if you want to hang your hat on the bottom 7 being better you are not going to have a whole lot of support.

I mean if you want to brag up Purdue for being .500 after that big win over the Eastern Kentucky Colonels you go girl, but I think I will take them for what they are...in a drag race with Kansas and Rutgers for worst P5 team.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You also have 2 in Sagarin's top 5 and 4 in his top 28. The problem is you also have 56, 57, 58, 72, 84, 102 and 103 which is not good when there are only 60 P5 teams.

I don't think anyone on this board is going to argue with you that the top half of the B1G is as good as anybody and a really strong #1 contender...top 4 teams are even a stonger argument, but if you want to hang your hat on the bottom 7 being better you are not going to have a whole lot of support.

I mean if you want to brag up Purdue for being .500 after that big win over the Eastern Kentucky Colonels you go girl, but I think I will take them for what they are...in a drag race with Kansas and Rutgers for worst P5 team.
I see what you're saying, but does it make sense that LSU is ranked 12th and Wisconsin is 29th? Does it make sense that Notre Dame is ranked 22 while Michigan State is 28th? This is my point - if this is how he does rankings, why does he even come out with them this early when they're so dramatically flawed?

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What rumors are flying around i haven't read anything yet. Ive been working all morning?

Multiple transfers. Kid punched the coach. Lots of crazy stuff. Almost too crazy to be true, but enough to think something is going on

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not much in the actual media.Looks like SC is trying to keep what eery going on quiet. They are saying EJ Price left the team for personal reasons. But theres a lot of talk Price punched Helton in the face during practice
when-keeping-it-qyg8xi.jpg

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see what you're saying, but does it make sense that LSU is ranked 12th and Wisconsin is 29th? Does it make sense that Notre Dame is ranked 22 while Michigan State is 28th? This is my point - if this is how he does rankings, why does he even come out with them this early when they're so dramatically flawed?

There are always going to be outliers in any model. We have the same problem with the people polls. If anything could predict the outcome of games with 100% accuracy there would be no point in playing them.

Three games in I would say it is about as good as anything, AP poll included.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are always going to be outliers in any model. We have the same problem with the people polls. If anything could predict the outcome of games with 100% accuracy there would be no point in playing them.

Three games in I would say it is about as good as anything, AP poll included.
You think Sagarin's rankings make as much sense as the AP?

xpuctaqpGT

Modern Major General
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see what you're saying, but does it make sense that LSU is ranked 12th and Wisconsin is 29th?

I'm not Sagarin. I don't have access to his methods/formulas. But here's my best guess.

Wisconsin beat LSU 16 to 14. However, home field advantage is worth 2.7 points. On a neutral field that would be a score of 13.3 to 14 in favor of LSU. If played at LSU the score would be 13.3 to 16.7 further in favor of LSU. Because Wisconsin played at home and won by less than the home field advantage, they didn't really get full credit for the win.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not Sagarin. I don't have access to his methods/formulas. But here's my best guess.

Wisconsin beat LSU 16 to 14. However, home field advantage is worth 2.7 points. On a neutral field that would be a score of 13.3 to 14 in favor of LSU. If played at LSU the score would be 13.3 to 16.7 further in favor of LSU. Because Wisconsin played at home and won by less than the home field advantage, they didn't really get full credit for the win.
If there's any truth to this, it further strengthens my position that he is an idiot, because that is one of the most absurd things I've ever heard, especially given the 17 spots between the teams.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Multiple transfers. Kid punched the coach. Lots of crazy stuff. Almost too crazy to be true, but enough to think something is going on
The only actual article I have seen so far was written by Scott Wolf. The same guy that keeps ranking Michigan number 1. There is definitely something going on. SC stated Price left for personal reasons. But the lack of discipline on the field. Flagrant penalties. And Heltons complete loss of control of the team. Combined with Darnold being named starting QB. Which I don't think is coincidence. Leads me to believe there may be a lot of merit. In the rumors of price punching Helton in practice . As well as the rumors of transfers. It's time SC actually put some effort into squiring a solid coach imo

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems ridiculous to continue to post "rankings" that have more to do with last year than they do this year.
Containing an initial bias based on last year does not mean (or even imply) that the rankings have more to do wit last year than they do with this year. It would be the acme of ignorance to draw conclusions based on the assumption that Jeff Sagarin doesn't understand how to weight data used in his algorithm.

oaknightshockey1

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,928.18
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If there's any truth to this, it further strengthens my position that he is an idiot, because that is one of the most absurd things I've ever heard, especially given the 17 spots between the teams.
Also, home field advantage may not be worth that much. One of our local writers put this out recently. It's pretty interesting:
College football's greatest myth