• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

safety lineup

C

cubzzzfanincali

OK, so since we are in the slow pre-draft imaginary NFL universe of possibly drafting Bridgewater at 14, let's discuss something else. Pretending for a second that the Bears either don't draft a safety (doubtful) or they don't draft one high (maybe, maybe not), who do you think the Bears start and at which safety positions?

I'll go first. The Bears have a weird, bad dilemma. The three obvious candidates for free safety are Conte, Jennings, and Mundy. Hmm. I bet Jennings doesn't make the final roster. Unless....

I think without a high safety pick, and you may laugh, but the Bears are probably going to go with Steltz as the initial strong safety. If he doesn't work, then they move Conte there, although I think that's somewhat of a mistake. The best guy we have for strong safety right now really is Steltz. If Conte moves over, then my money is on Mundy. (and that's fun to say...try it!) At free safety. I would have added "at free safety into the earlier sentence but it would have destroyed the fun of saying "my money is on Mundy."

This is why if the Bears draft a safety, I'd bet 70-30 odds it is a strong safety, not a free safety.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just really can't picture the scenario you are showing .
So I'll just say Mundy SS, Draft pick ( even if it's a 6th rder ) @ FS.
Our safety position has been weak since Brown.
Hell I'd grab 2, and hope for the best.
I wouldn't care if Phil uses all 7 picks on the D side.
But he'll have to bet the farm on a healthy yr.
Really don't like any of our safeties.

Last edited by a moderator:

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree, I'm not the Bear GM, but if I were, I would be picking a S in either rounds 1 or round 2 as well as later in the draft like rounds 5 or 6. But, hey, that's me.

C

cubzzzfanincali

If Mundy is a starter, it will be at free. He's awful in run support, so he's really not a good choice as strong.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steltz played much better than Wright or Conte, when he did play, so I think he's a viable option...maybe not the preferred, but serviceable.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mundy is a starter, it will be at free. He's awful in run support, so he's really not a good choice as strong.

Wait… what? I think you may have that mistaken.

I read up quite a bit on Mundy, and every report said his strength is playing up in the box and against run support. That he struggles in coverage. I'm almost positive he's a SS candidate, and not FS.

I could be wrong.

EDIT: Here's an article saying Mundy will play SS. http://www.csnchicago.com/bears/bears-strong-safety-need-addressed-ryan-mundy-signing

C

cubzzzfanincali

We must be watching different games. I certainly haven't done detailed review of his play, but over the years that's been my impression.

Just now I looked around on the internet, I guess we typed in different search words, because I found much to be very mixed. He played 292 defensive snaps in 2012, with Pro Football Focus grading him at -3.5 (-3.5 vs. run, -0.3 vs. pass). When he was on Pittsburgh, apparently he did better backing up Clark (FS) than Polamalu (SS), with several mentions of teams picking on him when he came in for Troy. Pitt originally drafted him more as a strong safety prospect but he didn't work out well...even though Polamalu was injured a lot. He played much more free safety than strong safety for NY.

WalterFootball likes him more against the run, but I am way less a fan of WF than PFF generally, and in this case it comports with my impression that he sucks against the run. My impression isn't scientific, just my impression. ESPN thinks he is solid against the run, but that's ESPN for you.

I don't know, maybe I am wrong, but my memory is that he won't make for a good strong safety. I guess we shall see.

C

cubzzzfanincali

oh, and Moon Mullin pronouncing it doesn't count at all in my book. That guy makes even more mistakes than I do, and in his case he is paid to do it.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Forgive me if I'm wrong . Read somewhere that Mundy played SS for the Giants. Just think he's the lesser of 2 evils , since Wright went elsewhere. Just think he was signed to be Wrights replacement.
Just think Phil gave Conte the kiss of death, when he said I hope to be negotiating a new deal w/him (Conte) .
A free safety will be 1 of our top 2 picks.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Steltz played much better than Wright or Conte, when he did play, so I think he's a viable option...maybe not the preferred, but serviceable.

Just think Steltz's role on this team, is on STs . He seems to play well there. I just hold my breath when he has to fill in on D.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: Wouldn't it be the cats ass. If phil got Pryor @14, and Buchannon (spelling?) @ 51? A DT could be had later. Both would be day 1 starters.