• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Safeco Field is now T-Mobile Park

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I just don't understand how this naming rights thing goes. To me it's a revenue source, but by no means is it completely necessary. The naming rights brings in revenue just like having bad contracts on the field becomes a wasted cost or overhead. I understand having naming rights because why turn down the opportunity to bring in money when your product is so bad, but having tax payers pay for a name doesn't make sense to me.

Nothing this organization does makes any sense to me. Seattle area baseball fans deserve so much more than this non-baseball mediocre ownership group continues to throw at the fans. For years, it been the same old story....maybe next year. JD says keeping Seager is a good thing to help build the team? The truth of the matter is ownership tells him he has to keep Seager because it will cost too much to dump his sorry ass. It's the same old bullshit: the same old deceptive games coming from GM's and ownership. The Mariner's organization has been, and continues to be one cluster F after another only this time they've given themselves and extra year or two to screw with the fans heads again. Enjoy the ride dudes.

PS: Merry Christmas everybody!!

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess I just don't understand how this naming rights thing goes. To me it's a revenue source, but by no means is it completely necessary. The naming rights brings in revenue just like having bad contracts on the field becomes a wasted cost or overhead. I understand having naming rights because why turn down the opportunity to bring in money when your product is so bad, but having tax payers pay for a name doesn't make sense to me.

Doesn't make sense, but nothing new.
Las Vegas taxpayers being forced to pay $80M for ballpark naming rights

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think corporate naming rights are a big deal. Anything to get Loren money to improve the on field product is a ok in my book.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But in regard to the M's. Know that they threaten to not renew the naming rights with Safeco unless it's also funded with 180mil taxpayers money. I'm willing to bet the deal with T-Mobile does include this 180mil.

https://www.bizjournals.com/seattle...threaten-not-to-renew-safeco-field-lease.html

Duders

IDK - IDC - IDGAF
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can hardly wait for this...… OMG

2018-12-21_9-56-50.jpg

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should have been VERIZON LOL
Hell ya. I lived out in the foothills outside of Enumclaw. Verizon is the only cell phone company that we can get a signal from.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hell ya. I lived out in the foothills outside of Enumclaw. Verizon is the only cell phone company that we can get a signal from.

True, but TMobile is a fortunate 500 company that is local and just acquired either AT&T or Sprint, I can’t remember which one so in theory their service should get better. Either way, fuck Amazon for not sponsoring either stadium or ownering either other the teams or buying a NBA team.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True, but TMobile is a fortunate 500 company that is local and just acquired either AT&T or Sprint, I can’t remember which one so in theory their service should get better. Either way, fuck Amazon for not sponsoring either stadium or ownering either other the teams or buying a NBA team.

Sprint.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have a deal with T-Mobile for 25 years? Crazy to think it'll be named T-Mobile Park longer than it was called Safeco.

Curious to see if the name change is used by locals. We still call Moda Center the Rose Garden.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That deal actually went through?

I thought it got blocked. Did they try again?

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The unfortunate thing here is T-Mobile is plastering its name all over the place in sports. Las Vegas has the T-Mobile Arena, is the new Raiders stadium down there T-Mobile too?

Mariners get a T-Mobile park. That definitely hurts the uniqueness of the place, these corporate sponsors of places is never ideal, but sometimes it just fits. Safeco fit.

At least it wasn't MetroPCS Park.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That deal actually went through?

I thought it got blocked. Did they try again?

This is a different deal. The AT&T/T-Mobile merger was contested by the gov, so they withdrew their bid a few months later without going to court. T-Mobile and Sprint look to merge sometime in early to mid 2019. FCC is still review the proposal - and has stated it wants longer than the 6-month review time to be thorough, so this could all be thrown for a loop. Though, this info is a month old and things could've changed significantly in that time.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a different deal. The AT&T/T-Mobile merger was contested by the gov, so they withdrew their bid a few months later without going to court. T-Mobile and Sprint look to merge sometime in early to mid 2019. FCC is still review the proposal - and has stated it wants longer than the 6-month review time to be thorough, so this could all be thrown for a loop. Though, this info is a month old and things could've changed significantly in that time.

I thought it was a done deal except for the technical stuff. At least that’s what I heard when this was announced. I could have misunderstood the whole thing though as I truly don’t care about the anti trust stuff.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought it was a done deal except for the technical stuff. At least that’s what I heard when this was announced. I could have misunderstood the whole thing though as I truly don’t care about the anti trust stuff.

I mean, it really should be a done deal, since the merger takes the two companies that are 3rd and 4th in the US in number of subscribers and combines them into a company that will be 3rd in the US in number of subscribers. But, anti-trust laws aren't always applied in ways that I think are coherent, so we'll see.

T-Mobile seems to think this is a done deal - but unless I missed the announcement the gov had finished their analysis and weeded through all the complaints about the merger, then it's still gotta wait for the official stamp of approval.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The unfortunate thing here is T-Mobile is plastering its name all over the place in sports. Las Vegas has the T-Mobile Arena, is the new Raiders stadium down there T-Mobile too?

Mariners get a T-Mobile park. That definitely hurts the uniqueness of the place, these corporate sponsors of places is never ideal, but sometimes it just fits. Safeco fit.

At least it wasn't MetroPCS Park.
You mean something like “MetroPCS Presented by T-Mobile Park”??

Now that’s unique but ugly af

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They have a deal with T-Mobile for 25 years? Crazy to think it'll be named T-Mobile Park longer than it was called Safeco.

Curious to see if the name change is used by locals. We still call Moda Center the Rose Garden.
Most locals including myself will still call it Safeco. I still mistakenly sometimes refer CenturyLink Field as Qwest.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Damn! I didn't know the Rose Garden was renamed several years ago.