• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Saban goes after satellite camps, Harbaugh goes after Saban

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
pwB6XA.gif

Innermind

Lithomancer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lil Nicky changed his mind.

Alabama and Michigan will be doing two camps together on Sunday June 5th in Norfolk, VA, and Monday June 6th in Baltimore, MD. Jimmy and Nicky have made-up.
:kiss:

Harbaugh-Saban truce? Michigan, Alabama to work camps together

The sleepover portion of the trip will be interesting... who pays for room service, Jimmy or Nicky?

:mo:

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lil Nicky changed his mind.

Alabama and Michigan will be doing two camps together on Sunday June 5th in Norfolk, VA, and Monday June 6th in Baltimore, MD. Jimmy and Nicky have made-up.
:kiss:

Harbaugh-Saban truce? Michigan, Alabama to work camps together

The sleepover portion of the trip will be interesting... who pays for room service, Jimmy or Nicky
?

:mo:
"Those interested in Michigan sleepovers, form a line to the left. Those who want to learn about Alabama football, form a line on the right."
segni-gay-37230188.jpg

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think people are confusing great coaching with great recruiting.

If college were a level playing field -- a team like Bama, who had I believe, 18 5 star recruits, wouldn't play MSU, who had zero 5 star recruits.

It is akin to giving the Lions 6 or 7 first round picks every year in the NFL and when they win the SB, you call the coach great.

That is basically what you have in college. Congrats to Bama on winning championships, but when your recruiting class rankings over the past 6 or 7 years is #1,#1,#1,#1,#1,#1, etc. To me, that is great recruiting, which is much different than great coaching and also why I think Saban left the NFL almost immediately after taking the Dolphins job. He got his wish of a level playing field in the NFL and quit after 2 years.
In college great recruiting is paramount. You can develop guys all you want, but if their ceiling isn't high enough, you won't achieve greatness as a coach.

Part of Saban's greatness is his ability to attract top talent.

It cracks me up that no Ohio State head football coach has been coach of the year in the Big 10 since Earle Bruce in 1979. Why? Because they recruit so well that no one expects them to suck.

Guess what? If they couldn't recruit, they would be at Indiana.

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guess what? If they couldn't recruit, they would be at Indiana.
Do you think it is easier or more difficult to recruit to the blue blood programs like tOSU, Michigan, USC, Bama, Texas, OU, ND, etc?

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you think it is easier or more difficult to recruit to the blue blood programs like tOSU, Michigan, USC, Bama, Texas, OU, ND, etc?

Yes, but you still gotta have success comparative to that lower level to advance.

cwerph

Go Bucks!
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am certain it is easier, but even at blue blood programs, some guys are better at it than others (and at non-blue blood programs too - that's how they get to go to blue blood programs eventually).

Ohio State has recruited well over the years, but looking at what is happening right now, they have never had more success attracting top talent ever. This is either entirely coincidental, or Urban Meyer is an elite coach that players want to play for. That should be to his credit, not to his detriment.