• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rutledge

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I hear Rutledge is coming back up. I am thinking of dropping Andrelton Simmons or Joe Smith for him. I remember someone saying Smith is now the closer is CLE. I could not find any proof of this so I am curious if anyone knows more news than I know about Smith. I also have Jacob Turner or Dillon Gee that I could drop but Dillon Gee and Jacob Turner have both been pitching well and my league is a DYNASTY league. 12 team H2H, we count QS instead of Wins and have a total of 12 starts per week. Daily league. Any advice is welcome. Thanks.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are safe dropping Simmons. He has very little category juice. Turner and Gee are droppable also.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'd hold on to Turner in a dynasty, but would grab Rutledge over any of the others you mentioned.

Chef99

It's raw, you donkey!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Perez is supposed to be back next week, I think. Isn't Pestano the closer right now?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chris Perez is supposed to be back next week, I think. Isn't Pestano the closer right now?

Well I know Perez is back soon but I also heard fans in CLE don't want him there. I know that may or may not push him out of CLE but the way he is pitching this year may be his ticket out of there. Pestano is doing just as bad as Perez this year and Smith seems to be the better of the bunch.

Well, I'd hold on to Turner in a dynasty, but would grab Rutledge over any of the others you mentioned.

I had Turner last year and traded him away and I was really sad to do it. Someone dropped him in the beginning of this year and it seems I got my wish of getting him back and he has been pitching pretty well.

I think you are safe dropping Simmons. He has very little category juice. Turner and Gee are droppable also.

This will probably be the move I make. It is very difficult to find closers in my league and it is hard for me to just drop Smith if I can give saves out of him. I do however have Frieri, Grilli, Mujica, Brothers also. I have had my eye on Gee ever since the season started and have been waiting for him to breakout. I am really high on him and the way he has been pitching (his last start was against the Cardinals which was pretty good) I don't think I can afford to let him sit on the wire. I will have a short leash on him though that is for sure. I was also high on Porcello and some one scooped him up after I dropped him after a few poor starts in the begin of the year and I regret not holding on to him.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I change my answer. Since you already have 3 established closers and 1 short term guy, you don't need to wait around for someone who might get saves, but could also be third on the depth chart. Smith is the drop.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you are safe dropping Simmons.

ytd
Simmons .253/.286/.356
Rutledge .242/.298/.357

Over the past 6 weeks:
Simmons .271/.288/.387
Rutledge prior to demotion .260/.292/.326

Ok that's the numbers side of it..... (and even those don't support Rutledge over Simmons)...
Here's the rest
Rutledge 24 has cost his team 4.7 runs defensively, Simmons 23 has saved his team 7.6. Does this matter? It sure does in a dynasty. Simmons is looking at a potentially best defensive season ever. He isn't going anywhere for a very long time.
Simmons also has a 20% LD rate vs Rutledge's 14%

I can't defend Simmons' poor offensive results thus far in 2013. It'd be silly to try. I'm just showing that Rutledge isn't any better. Historically, in the minors Simmons had a 7%bb/8%k rate. Rutledge 7%/20%.
Rutledge hit well in the minors when he was sent down. I get this. But he's 24 facing younger pitching and his babip was over .390. I can't get that excited about him.

If you were talking for 2013 only, I could see the argument, even if there's a chance Rutledge only stays up 4-6 weeks...it's a reasonable gamble while Simmons is laying an egg. But in a dynasty? no chance

How does Simmons measure up to S.Castro? look it up ....Castro's season numbers are worse even!! Nobody is dropping Castro in a dynasty. The talent is there. You can SEE it. The numbers don't support it though. Same with Simmons. Watch him play. Spend 20 minutes scouring videos of him hitting AND fielding. He is truly one of the games bright young future stars.
I'd bench him if I could. But no way on God's green earth do I drop him for Rutledge, or any of the other schmucks you've listed. For this year, Gee might have more value admittedly.

Sometimes you have to make evaluations on more than numbers in a dynasty. That's not a criticism, but if you can watch him for 20 minutes and feel like he's not going to be your SS for the future, I'd be very surprised.

Anyway, that's todays rant. I better get kids up or they'll be late for school and I'll be late for work ha!

Signed: Admitted Andrelton Homer. :)

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I change my answer. Since you already have 3 established closers and 1 short term guy, you don't need to wait around for someone who might get saves, but could also be third on the depth chart. Smith is the drop.

I'm not a Simmons fan, but in a dynasty league he has more long term value than Smith. Like Tlance said, you've already got saves covered and while I like Smith there is no guarantee he will slide into the closer role. To much uncertainty in Cleveland right now.

As for Simmons, if you have SS covered you might be able to trade him for an established closer if you need saves as opposed to picking up the next might be guy. He's even a good player to package with another player to upgrade at another position.
I can see Philabuster making a voodoo doll of me and sticking pins in it for recommending getting rid of Simmons, but I'm not as high on his long term value as he is. He's a great defensive SS, but a great ballplayer doesn't mean a great fantasy player.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahahaha!! No voodoo doll for you.
I can absolutely see trading him for an established closer to a rebuilding or future-oriented team owner.
(superb idea)
One day, I'll tell my grandchildren about Andrelton Simmons and how no one believed in him but me hahaha.
I can hear them now. "Grandpa...who's Andrelton Simmons?"

Reverend Jim

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,275.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahahaha!! No voodoo doll for you.
I can absolutely see trading him for an established closer to a rebuilding or future-oriented team owner.
(superb idea)
One day, I'll tell my grandchildren about Andrelton Simmons and how no one believed in him but me hahaha.
I can hear them now. "Grandpa...who's Andrelton Simmons?"

Saw this on FanGraphs today and thought of you Philabuster.
Way Too Many People Own Andrelton Simmons?

by Ben Duronio - June 14, 2013

Andrelton Simmons may be one of my favorite players in the league, but I do not find any reason for him to be owned in nearly half of Yahoo! leagues at this point in time. I was down on Simmons from a fantasy perspective entering the year, he just does not have the base stealing acumen or power to be as useful as other options in fantasy formats.

He has actually hit for more power than I expected. Five home runs is not very impressive but I thought he would have two or three right now and end the year just under 10. That is still very possible as he is looking continually worse at the plate, but the Braves will keep him in the lineup due to his defense. While it is nice to have the leadoff man on one of the league’s better offenses, Simmons’ time atop the lineup could (and should) be coming to an end. Even at the top of the lineup for the majority of the season, Simmons has attempted just four steals and been caught half the time. He is simply not a good base stealer, despite having success last season across double-A and the majors. The season before he stole 26 bags but was caught 18 times. ZiPS has Simmons at seven steals and five caught stealings the rest of the season with another four home runs.

If you are going to get five steals and four home runs over the remainder of the season, what is the reason for keeping him on your team? There simply is not enough that Simmons has done offensively to deserve the fantasy support he has at this moment, and I don’t believe he had done enough at the beginning of the year either.

There are some guys that it is worthwhile to wait on, say a Ben Revere. We know how great his one tool is and we can suffer his slumps because of how useful that one tool is in fantasy. Unfortunately for Simmons, he possess no tool on the offensive spectrum that would make him incredibly valuable in fantasy even if things go better than expected. At most he will be slightly above average in homers and steals for shortstops, which does not make you a 12 team worthy starter in my book.
Simmons should hit better going forward and could push a few more over the fence than ZiPS projects, but even then there are likely better options to be had in free agency or trade. Let go of him and don’t look back if you have not already.

Philabuster5

Visionary (aka dreamer)
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah, I read that too. He's still hitting near .300 over the past 3 weeks. I know: very little to show for it though.
This is a big week coming up for all Atlanta hitters I would presume. I think it's worth tabling for one more week haha for redraft leagues. If you're not playing a MI, for sure he can go in yearly formats. But in leagues that do, really? what kind of upside is on the WW?
I just can't see dropping him in dynasties even if he sucks NEXT year. We are truly witnessing one of the greatest defensive SS of all time. Yes, fantasy doesn't count that, but he's 23 with great contact skills as well. Just a little more time..... ;)
By next year, he should be in the discussion of best SS in baseball.....Yes, primarily because of defense, but he just needs to keep batting .300 and the counting stats should come. He's not Brendan Ryan up there with the bat.
In my dynasty points league, he's actually scored 13th amount of pts for SS. (14 team league with MI) So there's at least some value there. I'm probably skewed by not playing in a redraft for so long before our MBBRL.
If you're not in a dynasty, ignore my Andrelton love. It's very likely not applicable haha