• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Wilson’s new deal

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talked to a Seahawks fan today that told me he was happy to have Geno Smith at QB for far less money.

That Seahawk fan is huffing paint. I support Seattle's from the office in trading him..... he didn't want to be here anymore.

Geno Smith is nothing but a decent backup QB. The Seahawks will get their next (hopefully) franchise QB during the next draft.

I wish Wilson all the luck this season with exception to Week 1.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Seahawk fan is huffing paint. I support Seattle's from the office in trading him..... he didn't want to be here anymore.

Geno Smith is nothing but a decent backup QB. The Seahawks will get their next (hopefully) franchise QB during the next draft.

I think this is a fair post. This is how I would feel as a Seahawks fan.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First I had read about the back end of the contract as far as exit possibilities. From The Athletic:
I believe this deal is a win-win for everyone,” Paton said. “This allows us to keep building and maintaining a championship roster.”

The first potential out on the deal would come after the 2025 season, when the Broncos would be able to move on from Wilson, who would then be 37, and save $27.2 million while absorbing a $31.2 million dead-money hit. After 2026, the dead-money hit would drop to $12.8 million. There is no guaranteed money on the contract after the 2024 season. The structure paints an obvious championship window for the Broncos, even if it’s one the team isn’t limiting itself to: four years, Wilson’s age-34 through age-38 seasons.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson keeps himself in good shape - is 100% focused on playing football - and by NFL QB standards a moderate on QB compensation.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talked to a Seahawks fan today that told me he was happy to have Geno Smith at QB for far less money.
I'm only happy with Geno at QB if the Seahawks' plan for the season is to deliberately tank for a high draft pick next year. Otherwise, there were multiple better choices available. Mayfield and Garappalo get a lot of criticism but either one would have been light years better than Geno.

And it's interesting that Lock lost the starting gig in a game in which the Seahawks top five receivers were targeted a combined total of three times. I mean, sure, he had a shitty game, but he was also set up to fail.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wilson keeps himself in good shape - is 100% focused on playing football - and by NFL QB standards a moderate on QB compensation.
The first part is true - he stays in good shape. The second part is not so true these days. He is not 100% focused on football. He was in the BC (before Ciara), but nowadays he is more about Hollywood than he is the NFL.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The first part is true - he stays in good shape. The second part is not so true these days. He is not 100% focused on football. He was in the BC (before Ciara), but nowadays he is more about Hollywood than he is the NFL.
Thanks for your observation, but since Wilson was liberated ;) to the Broncos he has been 100% all in on the football team. He is the first one to practice every day - he has twice in 6 months taken offensive teammates to his San Diego facility to practice routes and timing - while collaborating with Coach Hackett in developing the offense.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for your observation, but since Wilson was liberated ;) to the Broncos he has been 100% all in on the football team. He is the first one to practice every day - he has twice in 6 months taken offensive teammates to his San Diego facility to practice routes and timing - while collaborating with Coach Hackett in developing the offense.

Both Hackett and Wilson joked that they spend more time with each other than they do with their spouses since coming to Denver. If that is not committed to football then I don't know what is. You got Ciara and the kids at home and you choose to come to practice early and leave late?

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was that way at the beginning of his Seahawk career too. Honestly, I hope he has a good career for y'all over there, but I have my doubts.
I think his priorities are:
1. Be one of the top five highest-paid QBs (seemingly not caring that it is at the expense of his team's payroll flexibility)
2. Celebrity status
3. Team commitment

His playoff record:
BC (Before Ciara) 7-2
AD (After the she-Devil) 3-5

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 14,086.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aaron Rodgers might be worth $49 million as a 39-year-old QB, but Russell Wilson won't be. When he still had Fran Tarkington-type elusiveness, he could compensate for his inability to see over the offensive line. But being 6" shorter than Rodgers and BRady will become a huge liability as he gets into his late 30s.

But by then, Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert will be making $70 million a year, so maybe Russell's contract will still seem like a bargain.
Not to mention....he had 2 years left on his current deal and he's playing for a new team with a rookie coach.

Seems like they could have waited.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was that way at the beginning of his Seahawk career too. Honestly, I hope he has a good career for y'all over there, but I have my doubts.
I think his priorities are:
1. Be one of the top five highest-paid QBs (seemingly not caring that it is at the expense of his team's payroll flexibility)
2. Celebrity status
3. Team commitment

His playoff record:
BC (Before Ciara) 7-2
AD (After the she-Devil) 3-5

He isn't even paid as a top-5 QB right now though. This 7-year deal on a per year basis puts him at 6th among QB's right now and that is before guys like Burrow, Lamar, and Herbert sign their next big deals.

And the reality of this deal is good chance it is closer to a 5-year deal because after that the guarantees are gone from the contract. AT that point Wilson will want to re-work this deal to get guarantees put back in. So for the first 5-years of the deal the total will actually be $187.8 million. Or $37.6 million per year. That is probably closer to the real number we are looking at right now.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention....he had 2 years left on his current deal and he's playing for a new team with a rookie coach.

Seems like they could have waited.

Do you really want to wait until after some of these young QB's that are seeking their first big contract get paid? It is either lock him in for $42 million now or chance it and possibly pay $50 million starting next offseason.

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People acting Russell Wilson has had 1-2 good years. This convo sorta cracks me up.

Why would we wait with QB contracts increasing every year? Let's think about it here folks!

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People acting Russell Wilson has had 1-2 good years. This convo sorta cracks me up.

Why would we wait with QB contracts increasing every year? Let's think about it here folks!

This idea that they need to wait and see how he does first is ridiculous. He has had so many players move in and out of that building in Seattle and he has remained constant. Brady switching, Manning switching, Stafford switching...none of those guys had this huge drop off by going to their new teams. If anything it gave them a huge boost.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So crazy thing at least according to Overthecap is that after the Wilson deal was done it moved the Broncos into 2nd most cap space available for this season. If they were to not sign a single other player this season (someone will be signed) and carry all of that money over they coudl have around $40 million in cap space for next offseason with Wilson locked up. So Broncos have some wiggle room for sure to still make moves moving forward.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm pretty sure @Draft Crazy is talking about me here. Let me elaborate on that a little more. For the Seahawks, the difference of Russ vs. Geno as 2 wins in the season. Let's say it is even higher at 4 wins in the season. Geno's cap hit is $3.5 million this year. I wouldn't want him for anything more than that. While Russ would have still been relatively cheap for the Seahawks, we all knew he wanted that blockbuster deal that he simply wasn't worth. Don't get me wrong, I love what Russ has done for us, but we've always been a run-first team with an amazing defense. Russ excelled as a ++game manager that could win games late in the 4th quarter when it came down to that. During Russ's time in Seattle, we were hardly ever down by more than a possession. This wasn't the case the last two seasons, and when we had to "let Russ cook", the results weren't what we expected. Russ is going to be 37 and making $55 million. There is no way the Seahawks could succeed with the contract Russ got with Denver. I was definitely on the bandwagon for trading him while he had a lot of trade value. I hope nothing but success for Russ AFTER this season, because we have your first round pick, which hopefully we can use to get our QB of the future. In the meantime, I'm happy to have Geno as our bargain game-manager QB. Hopefully with the money saved, we can slingshot that into next year's cap, as this is most definitely a throw away season after week 1. Week 1, obviously, is our Superbowl.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty sure @Draft Crazy is talking about me here. Let me elaborate on that a little more. For the Seahawks, the difference of Russ vs. Geno as 2 wins in the season. Let's say it is even higher at 4 wins in the season. Geno's cap hit is $3.5 million this year. I wouldn't want him for anything more than that. While Russ would have still been relatively cheap for the Seahawks, we all knew he wanted that blockbuster deal that he simply wasn't worth. Don't get me wrong, I love what Russ has done for us, but we've always been a run-first team with an amazing defense. Russ excelled as a ++game manager that could win games late in the 4th quarter when it came down to that. During Russ's time in Seattle, we were hardly ever down by more than a possession. This wasn't the case the last two seasons, and when we had to "let Russ cook", the results weren't what we expected. Russ is going to be 37 and making $55 million. There is no way the Seahawks could succeed with the contract Russ got with Denver. I was definitely on the bandwagon for trading him while he had a lot of trade value. I hope nothing but success for Russ AFTER this season, because we have your first round pick, which hopefully we can use to get our QB of the future. In the meantime, I'm happy to have Geno as our bargain game-manager QB. Hopefully with the money saved, we can slingshot that into next year's cap, as this is most definitely a throw away season after week 1. Week 1, obviously, is our Superbowl.

You say it hasn't worked well the last 2 years. Didn't the Seahawks go 12-4 in 2020? I mean if that is not working out then I would hate to live up to your standards. And that was with a roster that most thought was bottom tier in the NFL. I remember one analyst predicting the Seahawks even with Russ that year would finish with the worst record in football.

And if you think Russ is only worth 4 more games than Geno then we need to have a talk. Look at the Colts the year they lost Manning. Went from top-3 team in football to worst team in football. All because of Manning being gone. Wilson to me is worth at least 7 games over a QB like that of Geno's ability.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He isn't even paid as a top-5 QB right now though. This 7-year deal on a per year basis puts him at 6th among QB's right now and that is before guys like Burrow, Lamar, and Herbert sign their next big deals.

And the reality of this deal is good chance it is closer to a 5-year deal because after that the guarantees are gone from the contract. AT that point Wilson will want to re-work this deal to get guarantees put back in. So for the first 5-years of the deal the total will actually be $187.8 million. Or $37.6 million per year. That is probably closer to the real number we are looking at right now.
When you add the same contingencies to the contracts of the five QB paid more than him, does he still stay as 6th.

Wolverine830872

2018 DCFFL Champion!
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You say it hasn't worked well the last 2 years. Didn't the Seahawks go 12-4 in 2020? I mean if that is not working out then I would hate to live up to your standards. And that was with a roster that most thought was bottom tier in the NFL. I remember one analyst predicting the Seahawks even with Russ that year would finish with the worst record in football.

And if you think Russ is only worth 4 more games than Geno then we need to have a talk. Look at the Colts the year they lost Manning. Went from top-3 team in football to worst team in football. All because of Manning being gone. Wilson to me is worth at least 7 games over a QB like that of Geno's ability.
I'm more talking about the second half of the 2020 season and the 2021 season. Russ was great because he RARELY turned the ball over, but when we went away from a run-first offense and gave him the keys, that went away.

In 2020, when Russ threw for under 240 yards, we were 7-0, and Russ only threw 3 total interceptions. When he threw for more than 240 yards, we were 5-4, and he threw 10 interceptions. That is why I don't see Geno as much of a downgrade in terms of wins. When we win, it is because we are controlling the tempo of the game and not turning the ball over. So long as Geno can manage to do that (which is somewhat doubtful) then there isn't much of a drop off.

Last edited: