• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Russell Westbrook getting richer

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick DePaula‏Verified account @NickDePaula 2m2 minutes ago
Breaking: Russell Westbrook signs 10-year extension with Jordan Brand, making him long-term face of the company.

But, he still hasn't signed the contract extension OKC has offered him.

No big surprise there.

I hope for the sake of OKC fans that he resigns, but my bet is that he doesn't. The roster simply isn't what it was 2 years ago. They basically swapped Ibaka and KD for George. Not enough to be a real player in the West.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No big surprise there.

I hope for the sake of OKC fans that he resigns, but my bet is that he doesn't. The roster simply isn't what it was 2 years ago. They basically swapped Ibaka and KD for George. Not enough to be a real player in the West.

Yeah, I don't get people seeming to be surprised that Westbrook hasn't signed the extension yet. There are far too many questions for him committing long term to make sense at this point.

He doesn't know how well he and PG are going to play together.
He doesn't know if PG is going to re-sign with OKC.
He doesn't know what OKC's management is willing to do to add necessary pieces if he and PG both stay.
He doesn't know what OKC's management is willing to do to add necessary pieces if PG doesn't stay.
And...

OKC has already let players from a championship contending team walk once before.

It seems to me that he's doing the smart thing and keeping his options open while simultaneously putting pressure on OKC's FO.

CitySushi

Andrew Wiggin's burner account
Hoopla Cash
$ 102,675.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't get people seeming to be surprised that Westbrook hasn't signed the extension yet. There are far too many questions for him committing long term to make sense at this point.

He doesn't know how well he and PG are going to play together.
He doesn't know if PG is going to re-sign with OKC.
He doesn't know what OKC's management is willing to do to add necessary pieces if he and PG both stay.
He doesn't know what OKC's management is willing to do to add necessary pieces if PG doesn't stay.
And...

OKC has already let players from a championship contending team walk once before.

It seems to me that he's doing the smart thing and keeping his options open while simultaneously putting pressure on OKC's FO.

I'm not surprised. But more it was to all the OKC Thunder fans jumping on Russ signing a mini extension with the team as a sign he was more loyal to their franchise. The extension at the time made sense because it took him all the way through his max extension eligibility without having to sign a 1 and 1 to get it done.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not surprised. But more it was to all the OKC Thunder fans jumping on Russ signing a mini extension with the team as a sign he was more loyal to their franchise. The extension at the time made sense because it took him all the way through his max extension eligibility without having to sign a 1 and 1 to get it done.

Agree. Signing that mini extension was definitely smart for the reasons you mentioned, just as not signing the current extension is also smart.

Given the fact that he is now viewed as "more loyal", it will be interesting to see how OKC fans react if he chooses to go somewhere else after the season.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And, let's be honest. Before KD actually left, the assumption was always that Russ would be first to go. The extension allowed both him and OKC to get some positive press. Most importantly though, the short term deal took pressure off him, made him look like the "loyal one" and it allowed him to pile up collassal stats. Win, win, win.

tducey

Sports discussion
Hoopla Cash
$ 46,233.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good for him. As to him with the Thunder I think he leaves there when he becomes a free agent. I think if Lebron leaves the Cavs Westbrook may follow him. Imagine that super team.

thunderc

Hoopla Cash
$ 141,750.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is Russ will do what Russ wants to do and won't lie in bed for 3 days unable to face people.

Great Dayne

I was right even if you believe I was wrong
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Westbroke
Lecharge
Curious George

All going to be Fakers next season.

BOOKED