• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Run/pass split

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
25 for 30 during one point of the game Sun.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What pass has he missed on? The 2 yard out by Witten?

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What pass has he missed on? The 2 yard out by Witten?

Last week on the 4th he threw one behind Miles but Miles caught it, He threw high and behind Dez, which dez tipped in the air and we got lucky no one was there for the pick, and he threw behind Murray in the flat. I think he protecting the ribs at the moment and not always following through on his passes. I don't think it will be a season long problem. When the pain is gone from the hit he took vs. the Giants he'll be slinging it again. At the moment he doesn't look completely comfortable. Either it's his ribs or he doesn't trust his protection. Could be both.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to sound cliche, but you are looking at stats and not the games. He had one interception called back off of a bogus penalty. He missed on multiple throws on the drive to make it 16-17. He didn't throw it to Dez in a one-on-one situation on 3rd and goal when we led 10-7. Remember this is supposed to be Romo's offense. He can't change the play and try to get the ball to his best receiver?

There were also dropped interceptions in the Giants' game and bad passes. I've been one of Romo's biggest defenders. No more. At some point you have to stop making excuses for him and look beyond the inflated stats. All I saw was 16 points Sunday with a key fumble and awfully thrown passes late. Your defense only allows 17 points in a game, a 100-million dollar quarterback is supposed to win his team the game.

All I saw was 22 points and 331 yards of offense against the Giants despite having the ball for 37 mins and being gifted six turnovers. The Giants turned the ball on their first three possessions of the game yet it was 3-3 after one quarter. That type of play is not worth 100-million dollars. But go ahead, tell me more about his 73% completion percentage.

Last edited by a moderator:

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the Giant game- he threw a screen pass in the ground to Harris. I dont remember any ints dropped. I think I mentioned one other bad throw last week that I thought he made. As far as the chiefs go, like I said he was 25 of 30 at one time . I saw him throw 3 incomplete passes in a row in which no one was open- unless you wanted him to complete the 2 yard pass to Witten on 3rd down. Spin and watch it however you like. There is a lot of other players out there besides him. He is part of the team and yes he played his part.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A key fumble? It was 3rd and 5 . Free didnt block anyone on the play. I think any QB that got hit when he did would have fumbled that . Yes he had time to throw it away. So what did we lose out of the deal 15 yards of field position and about 1 minute and 30 seconds off the clock.

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to sound cliche, but you are looking at stats and not the games. He had one interception called back off of a bogus penalty. He missed on multiple throws on the drive to make it 16-17. He didn't throw it to Dez in a one-on-one situation on 3rd and goal when we led 10-7. Remember this is supposed to be Romo's offense. He can't change the play and try to get the ball to his best receiver?

There were also dropped interceptions in the Giants' game and bad passes. I've been one of Romo's biggest defenders. No more. At some point you have to stop making excuses for him and look beyond the inflated stats. All I saw was 16 points Sunday with a key fumble and awfully thrown passes late. Your defense only allows 17 points in a game, a 100-million dollar quarterback is supposed to win his team the game.

All I saw was 22 points and 331 yards of offense against the Giants despite having the ball for 37 mins and being gifted six turnovers. The Giants turned the ball on their first three possessions of the game yet it was 3-3 after one quarter. That type of play is not worth 100-million dollars. But go ahead, tell me more about his 73% completion percentage.

IMO The lack of points has to do with the red zone offense. Does Romo get some blame? Sure. But this team cannot run the ball to save their lives. They had the same problem last year, but at least last year they could run until they reached the red zone. I know I sound like a broken record about the line but it has been the weak link. I give the line credit because at least the pass protection looks better.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is if someone is counting the bad throws, he must not being doing that bad. When a QB is playing bad you would be counting how many good throws he had.
One other thing anytime someone mentions how much a QB makes, they aren't looking at the game clearly. They are looking through their emotions of wanting a 100 Mil Qb to be perfect.
Whether a QB is making league Min. or 100 mil. the actual X's & O's are the same. it is either a good pass or a bad one. It is a good read or a bad one. It isn't a good read for a player making league min. & a bad read for a player making 100 mil. Anyone bringing up salary in their points of how someone played. Already lost credibility in whatever point they were trying to say.

If it is a good play it was a good play no matter how much whoever made for the game. Same for bad plays.

As long as we are picking apart a play that could be considered a bad play, then the QB is doing their Job. We have to fear when we search for a good play to talk about!!!

Anyone waiting to see a perfect game are gonna be disappointed at a minimum of 16 games this year.
Funny thing is if the Cowboys win. We are gonna find another reason why they won. Lineman, Running game, Defense whatever. If we lose. We will hunt down a bad pass or two & say that is why we lost.

We lost to a good team at their house early in the year while I am sure teams are still ironing out whatever. But instead of giving the other team credit (other than Twist who actually did give the chiefs credit) we would rather just find a reason to blame Romo. Has Romo looked great so far this season. I would say no. I am sure as the season goes on he will get in his groove. Did we win the Giants game because of Romo. I would say no. Did we lose to the chiefs because of Romo. I would say no. Did the Chiefs beat the Cowboys & earn the victory against us. I would say yes.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last I want to say on the matter, he actually threw it more down field vs the Chiefs than he did the Giants. To each his own. QBs take the brunt of the blame when their team loses. I get that. Heck I almost feel sorry for RG3. Its time to turn our focus to week 3

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
25 for 30 during one point of the game Sun.

You need to judge more by what you see and not what you read the next day in the paper. I want to say that on at least 3 passes this year in hte red zone, I can't even figure out who he threw to or what he was thinking. They weren't "throwing the ball away either". Dez has made a couple great catches that more than offset his drop from a % point of view. He missed Williams on an easy TD week 1. I don't want to seem as if I am saying Romo is playing horrible, because I don't think he is, but he is not playing better than an average NFL QB right now. He needs to. I don't want to throw his contract in his face, but in a cap system if you make that money, you MUST play t othat level or your team will be in trouble (see Flacco). When you throw all these short passes like Weeek 1 to Miles and Witten and they get a decent YAC your % looks good. When you throw a 3 yard out on 3rd and 10 you better complete it. But it is not a smart play IMO. Yes the coaches bear some responsibility, but I don't recall any 3rd and 10 plays this year with only one receiver going out, so Romo is also to blame. The screeen to Williams was just horrible, but that was likely a Garrett/Callahan mistake in my opinion. It reeked of a play they talked about all off season to help in the red zone and it was just stupid at that time. 2nd down, sure. But not in that situation.

UK Cowboy

Happy Father's Day T-Roy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You need to judge more by what you see and not what you read the next day in the paper. I want to say that on at least 3 passes this year in hte red zone, I can't even figure out who he threw to or what he was thinking. They weren't "throwing the ball away either". Dez has made a couple great catches that more than offset his drop from a % point of view. He missed Williams on an easy TD week 1. I don't want to seem as if I am saying Romo is playing horrible, because I don't think he is, but he is not playing better than an average NFL QB right now. He needs to. I don't want to throw his contract in his face, but in a cap system if you make that money, you MUST play t othat level or your team will be in trouble (see Flacco). When you throw all these short passes like Weeek 1 to Miles and Witten and they get a decent YAC your % looks good. When you throw a 3 yard out on 3rd and 10 you better complete it. But it is not a smart play IMO. Yes the coaches bear some responsibility, but I don't recall any 3rd and 10 plays this year with only one receiver going out, so Romo is also to blame. The screeen to Williams was just horrible, but that was likely a Garrett/Callahan mistake in my opinion. It reeked of a play they talked about all off season to help in the red zone and it was just stupid at that time. 2nd down, sure. But not in that situation.

100% correct. I think Romo has to be hurt even worse than they are letting on. When he went down in the Giant game, he looked to be in more pain than when he punctured his lung. The guy is a tough dude, no doubt, but he is starting to rack up the injuries. Not a good sign, as the entire offense is designed around him

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The thing is we as fans should be careful what we wish for. All I have heard for the past 5 yrs is gunslinger, bone headed mentality out of our QB. Now he is taking better care of the ball, not taking high risks and he is getting blamed for throwing short and taking what the defense gives him. IMO, we arent good enough for him to be that way. We need him taking risks and making big plays. This is not a 12 play drive team that scores TDs. We are too error prone for that. He needs to find a happy medium between the two.

I think you are confusing things. Throwing the ball more than 5 yards doesn't make you a gunslinger. Taking a lot of risks does. Romo gets criticized for just throwing the ball up when he is unable to see or just doesn't recognize the coverage. I'm not talking about throwing it up for grabs to Dez going deep in man coverage. I'm talking about plays such as a deep slant or across the field throw where he doesn't locate the safeties. No one ever asked for a bunch of 3 yard passes other than slants which by their nature (although at times risky) can often lead to big plays or first downs depending on the situation.

Romo stilll holds the ball too long, doesn't throw it away, especially in the red zone or when outside the tackles, but he is a good QB and he isn't playing horribly by any means. we are 1-1, not 1-5. We are about where we should be IMO. Romo needs to get better and that is the point I am making, but half the team needs to get better and the coaches need to get better. Other than Bailey and LaDouceur, do we have anyone that can't improve right now?

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO The lack of points has to do with the red zone offense. Does Romo get some blame? Sure. But this team cannot run the ball to save their lives. They had the same problem last year, but at least last year they could run until they reached the red zone. I know I sound like a broken record about the line but it has been the weak link. I give the line credit because at least the pass protection looks better.

The Packers can't run the ball. New Orleans can't run the ball. ATL can't run the ball. Yet they all scored over 400 points last year. And they all have 100-million dollar quarterbacks. Hell, Rodgers got sacked 50 times and basically had no running game. The little running game they had was because of Aaron Rodgers running ability. I know, Romo is not Aaron Rodgers or Brees but he's getting paid almost like them.

Everybody that knows me from ESPN knows how much I defended Romo in the past, but those days are over until I see results. No, it's not gonna be a bash-fest like WFRYE and I'm not going out of my way to antagonize Cowboy fans, but I will be highly critical of him when I don't think he's playing well.

I said in the preseason that I'm judging Romo by wins and how many points he puts up on the board, not by his completion percentage, not by his passer rating. When I assess him, I don't care about how good his offensive line is or anything because that sure as hell isn't stopping other quarterbacks like Rodgers from being successful. We all saw Romo with a good offensive line and running game in the past and the results were basically the same when it came to redzone efficiency (especially in games that mattered most). I'm not putting all the blame on Romo but he's largely responsible. He's been the common denominator in these redzone issues for the last five or six years. Much better than his predecessors in redzone efficiency but not among the elite aside from one season in 2007.

Last edited by a moderator:

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how would you assess Bradys play so far? Brees?? Ryan? Flacco?

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So how would you assess Bradys play so far? Brees?? Ryan? Flacco?

Why does it matter? All of those guys have won playoff games in recent memory and their teams constantly make the playoffs year in and year out. I will assess them after they miss the playoffs for consecutive years.

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You brought up the 100 million dollar QBs . You might ought to look at NO stats and see how well they have also ran the ball .

ROMOTOOWENS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to be able to run the ball in the red zone. With exception of GB , the other teams mentioned have success running the ball down there.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You brought up the 100 million dollar QBs . You might ought to look at NO stats and see how well they have also ran the ball .

Yeah, those 100-million dollar QBs got those contracts because they earned it. Tell me why Romo deserves 100-million. To be fair, Matt Ryan doesn't really deserve it either but at least the Falcons have been in the playoffs literally every year he's been QB except one year. And in that year he went 9-5 and missed two games due to injury. So basically without injury, Matt Ryan has made the playoffs every year he's been the quarterback. So what exactly are you trying to argue about here?

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have to be able to run the ball in the red zone. With exception of GB , the other teams mentioned have success running the ball down there.

No, you really don't. At what point will you stop making excuses for Romo?