• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rumors of an AB Holdout?

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Local media is going crazy...

Talk about a potential bad situation, and something that this team DEFINITELY DOES NOT NEED right now... I'm hoping that this is just pure smoke because AB still has 2 seasons left on his contract. And the workouts that started this week are VOLUNTARY. Steelers that "hold out" tend to destroy their careers… I didn’t see this coming from Antonio. Makes me disappointed if this is true. I hope the Steelers or AB release some sort of statement soon.

Don't get me wrong, AB deserves more money! But this is bad timing. Ben just got paid, and they are wanting to extend Heyward next. They could probably extend AB as well, but that would mean putting players like DeCastro & Beachum on the backburner.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not good.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All quiet on the Steelers PR front. Not a peep from Burt Lauten, Bob Labriola, Ed Bouchette, or anyone from the post-gazette.

I'm not going to believe a word of this until one of those 3 guys makes a statement on it.

Last edited:

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say I blame him. In 2015 he will be the 13th highest paid WR.

But he has 3 years left on his deal. He can't realistically expect a raise this year, but he can let the team know that he feels underpaid and skip otas and minicamp. But I expect he will be in TC.

He's planting a seed for next year. This seems to be something that more and more stars are doing, letting the team know they are unhappy with their contract well before their contract year.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talk about a potential bad situation, and something that this team DEFINITELY DOES NOT NEED right now... I'm hoping that this is just pure smoke because AB still has 2 seasons left on his contract.

Actually has 3 years left on his deal.

He is set to get paid almost $23M over the next 3 years. Not elite WR money, but not bad either. IMO the Steelers won't budge. Too much time on his contract left.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually has 3 years left on his deal.

He is set to get paid almost $23M over the next 3 years. Not elite WR money, but not bad either. IMO the Steelers won't budge. Too much time on his contract left.
Yea I was wrong in the OP. 3 years left...

$23mil is still quite a bit. But if this is true, guess the poor guy will be on a Roman Noodle diet until his extension. :rolleyes2:

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Mike Wallace at least wait until the last year of his deal before he held out?

Might be time for Bryant and Wheaton to really step up.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I personally have no problem with a player skipping OTA's and even part of training camp due to a contract dispute.

If Brown would have been even a little bit average over the last couple years, you can bet that the Steeler's would have thought about cutting him this offseason. Well he has been ELITE the last couple years so really he has the right to ask for a new deal and raise a little stink in the effort to get one.

But it is the NFL and he is fighting an uphill battle. NFL team's don't have to honor contracts....but player's do. Just the way its always been and likely (and probably hopefully) always will be.

Brown deserves to make more money. No doubt about it. As he gets closer to the end of his deal, he should be able to secure a more lucrative deal. Dude has been the best WR in the league the last two years. He'll get his eventually....it might just take another year or two.

Psych-Ward

Padded cells optional
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't say I blame him. In 2015 he will be the 13th highest paid WR.

But he has 3 years left on his deal. He can't realistically expect a raise this year, but he can let the team know that he feels underpaid and skip otas and minicamp. But I expect he will be in TC.

He's planting a seed for next year. This seems to be something that more and more stars are doing, letting the team know they are unhappy with their contract well before their contract year.

Then he should of bit the bullet and held out for a bigger contract instead of signing the one he got. He goes anywhere else besides the Burgh and he don't get half the numbers he got last year!!!

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then he should of bit the bullet and held out for a bigger contract instead of signing the one he got. He goes anywhere else besides the Burgh and he don't get half the numbers he got last year!!!

Might be a little overstated, but I think you raise a fair point. For example, Mike Wallace never produced in Miami like he did in Pittsburgh.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you ask me, Brown deserves to be paid top 3 receiver money. His precision is second to none. I know that Pittsburgh has had a good run at receivers, but IMO Brown is the best by far.

This is a year to year league. Outside of QBs, the most that a player can count on as far as a commitment from a team is this year, and maybe next year if they are a true superstar. Teams are lightning quick to cut a player or ask them to take a pay cut, regardless of where they are at in their contract, if production dips in any given year. But when it's a player that holds out (even though everyone involved knows he won't miss actual games) because he outplayed his contract in a given year, fans get worked up about it.

shabazz916

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Might be a little overstated, but I think you raise a fair point. For example, Mike Wallace never produced in Miami like he did in Pittsburgh.
tannel garbage cnt throw the deep ball

GenJac

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brown is a really good receiver but I truly hope that he doesn't overplay his hand. Just like Mike Wallace his fame is only due to Big Ben. I'm sure that he could get more $$ elsewhere but would end up just another wide-out in another organization. Take your $$ Antonio and just be happy where you are. The Steelers will not re-write your contract so just do what the good season ticket holders in Pittsburgh have paid you to do. Just play the freaking game and get your candyass to camp!

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you ask me, Brown deserves to be paid top 3 receiver money. His precision is second to none. I know that Pittsburgh has had a good run at receivers, but IMO Brown is the best by far.

This is a year to year league. Outside of QBs, the most that a player can count on as far as a commitment from a team is this year, and maybe next year if they are a true superstar. Teams are lightning quick to cut a player or ask them to take a pay cut, regardless of where they are at in their contract, if production dips in any given year. But when it's a player that holds out (even though everyone involved knows he won't miss actual games) because he outplayed his contract in a given year, fans get worked up about it.
You raise a fair point!

Its hard as a fan not to let the emotions out over things like this because we want whats best for the TEAM. But I understand AB's plea. Fact is, it really is a business, for both sides. This is just the other side of that coin. As in... why is it ok for the team to break a contract if the money is too high (cutting or forcing retirement), but it’s not OK for a player to break the contract if the money’s too low? I don't think AB is going to holdout of anything because of his work ethic. He is one of the hardest working players in the NFL. I think he is just starting a business strategy of sorts. Letting the team know early that he isn't going to wait around.

I do think there are better ways he could have gone about doing this, but I will try to withhold judgement.

Oldschool739

It's my Country, Flag, Bible, Gun. Don't try it !
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Talk about a potential bad situation, and something that this team DEFINITELY DOES NOT NEED right now... I'm hoping that this is just pure smoke because AB still has 2 seasons left on his contract. And the workouts that started this week are VOLUNTARY. Steelers that "hold out" tend to destroy their careers… I didn’t see this coming from Antonio. Makes me disappointed if this is true. I hope the Steelers or AB release some sort of statement soon.

Don't get me wrong, AB deserves more money! But this is bad timing. Ben just got paid, and they are wanting to extend Heyward next. They could probably extend AB as well, but that would mean putting players like DeCastro & Beachum on the backburner.

Not to worry, he's just playing the pay me now game before his contract is up to put pressure on the FO, but the Steelers are old hands at the game and my thoughts are, he will take whatever they decide he is worth or he will lose.....
Suppose they grab a top tier wr in the draft, and just say, stay home if you like, maybe this kid will make your decision for you !!
Or just say no, you play another yr of those last 2 and we'll talk, show up at mandatory TC or start losing money everyday.....
I think the Rooney's have quite a bit more money than he does, so he will come around, one way or the other....
I hate when players do that, they're under contract and think they should be able to alter it when they want to, yet if the team alters their agreement, it's Katie bar the door....
:gaah:

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Steelers should not put up with this crap! By the way, pass his agents phone number on to Belichick.....

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We've been mainstream-media'd... :L

max-trash-can.gif