• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rule Change proposals

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not an extra advantage, though. I'm proposing they get the same advantage they'd have if the penalty were to occur anywhere else on the field. I'm not suggesting an automatic first down, just a 1st down if the yardage the penalty calls for would have given them one. If they started 1st & goal at the 4, 5 yards for encroachment wouldn't give them a 1st down.

Just seems stupid to me I guess. The offense already get's enough help as is in the NFL. No reason to give them even more help. Plus it would take away some of the aggressive ability of the defense to have that kind of rule. I like the fact that there is still an opportunity for a defense to play aggressively every once in a while.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is it an unearned 1st down ? It's the defense that gets an unearned advantage the way it is now. If you're a defense and you commit a 5 yard penalty that would give the offense a 1st down anywhere else on the field why shouldn't it be a 1st down when the D is backed up ? If it increases the chance that the offense scores ... too bad. Don't commit the penalty.

It's balanced properly as is, though. Your suggestion makes red zone appearances far too easy.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get me wrong, I don't think your idea is that far off base. I'm just wary of giving refs a gray area to interpret.

I am just not convinced that the refs are inept. I feel like there is too many rules with too many subsets and too much happening on the field for such a small reffing team. You can say that it has always been this way, but unfortunately with the advancements of technology we can now grade them. With what we can see, they are set for failure. What it used to be is if a ref makes a call we would accept it because we did not know better. If the nfl can make it easier for the refs then we could make the rules more fair too.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am just not convinced that the refs are inept. I feel like there is too many rules with too many subsets and too much happening on the field for such a small reffing team. You can say that it has always been this way, but unfortunately with the advancements of technology we can now grade them. With what we can see, they are set for failure. What it used to be is if a ref makes a call we would accept it because we did not know better. If the nfl can make it easier for the refs then we could make the rules more fair too.

But how is then adding even more judgment to that of PI making it easier for them? To me that is just giving them more things to have to look at beyond whether they just interfered with a receiver or not. If anything this is where I wish refs had less to have to look for. Such as now they have to look for helmet to helmet contact that they used to not have to worry about. They have gotten this wrong I think more than any other penalty this season as it is completely a judgment call plus throw in the NFL told them to error on the side of caution. It has ended up turning the tide in a few games this season.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this has been done but a couple of things have been bugging me. When one of the Niners jumped over the LOS on 3rd and goal from the 1 for the Panthers it got me thinking. That should have been a first down. It would have been a 1st down had the goal line not been there. Why should the D get a free shot like that ? Anyway, this isn't about that play or yesterday's game. I didn't really care who won. A couple of proposed changes

- All penalties should be walked off down to the 1 yard line if the offending team is backed up. None of this "half the distance to the goal line" stuff. Why should the D get a break on a penalty just because they've allowed the other team to penetrate that far ?

- In the above situation if walking off the actual distance of the penalty would have given the offense a 1st down they should be awarded a 1st down.

- PI should be a 15 yarder instead of a spot foul. No more 50 yard penalties. (I know this is controversial, but the passing game gets enough breaks and I already proposed 2 changes that would benefit offenses).

If you object, explain why... or add your own rule change proposals.

Agree with your 1st two...your 3rd seems to run counter to the other two...you're inviting the DEF player to just grab a guy to stop the big play...that one I don't like at all.

One thing that I would like to see changed...all plays should be reviewable when it comes to change of possession, 1st down, and of course scores...there was a play in a PIT game where there was a fumble, ball recovered by the other team and fumbled again and the call on the field was clearly incorrect, but the HC was told to keep his red hanky in his pocket...not reviewable.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An off the field rule, and I'm not claiming this had anything to do with my team losing yesterday. They lost because they were outplayed.

But, no head coach hires or interviews until the day after the Super Bowl. Teams that make the playoffs should have the right to focus 100% on the playoffs, coordinators included. Coordinators that are coveted head coach candidates should not be distracted until after the season is over.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
An off the field rule, and I'm not claiming this had anything to do with my team losing yesterday. They lost because they were outplayed.

But, no head coach hires or interviews until the day after the Super Bowl. Teams that make the playoffs should have the right to focus 100% on the playoffs, coordinators included. Coordinators that are coveted head coach candidates should not be distracted until after the season is over.

I agree with this completely. Hated last year that McCoy went and interviewed with the Chargers during the bye week instead of spending time with his players and watching film. The offense played flat and very predictable at times. Looked very similar yesterday for the Chargers in the offense looked very flat and counter to how they had played all year.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again I refer to the force out rule. Before 2008 if a receiver caught the ball but was pushed out of bounds by a defender before both feet hit the ground the refs could credit them with the catch if they decided he would have made the catch in bounds without being shoved. It was a judgement call. Those sorts of things are incredibly difficult to call in real time game conditions and even the refs were glad when they got rid of that rule.

I'm not saying the refs are flat out inept (though it sure seems like they are at times) I'm saying that forcing them to make snap judgement calls on the spot during a game is going to make their jobs very difficult and you would see just as many controversial calls if not more if we force them to decide what level of severity PI is when they call it.

It's already a tough call to make at times and I would argue that adding another variable would make it harder not easier.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I currently have a job to do and interviewing with you would cause a distraction from the ultimate goal of winning the Super Bowl. If you agree to wait to interview me until after we win the Super Bowl I promise that you I will offer the same devotion as your head coach, if that what we decide upon."

Problem solved. An owner that can't respect that will be a huge red flag anyways.

boltfan72

ex-Charger fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I currently have a job to do and interviewing with you would cause a distraction from the ultimate goal of winning the Super Bowl. If you agree to wait to interview me until after we win the Super Bowl I promise that you I will offer the same devotion as your head coach, if that what we decide upon."

Problem solved. An owner that can't respect that will be a huge red flag anyways.

What if there are 2-3 guys that are equal in the eyes of an owner? One of those guys is on a team headed for the Super Bowl. Why would the owner wait to give the third guy a chance, knowing that he may not get any of his preferred candidates if he waits too long?

There are only a handful of these openings available every year. Everyone that's qualified should have a shot and every team in the playoffs should not have to deal with these distractions.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then unless the other coaches are in the playoffs the guy who is is screwed, under your suggestion.

If both are, he can't be hired until after anyways, and the guy waiting it out earns respect over the guy willing to abandon his team for a day.

Scooby-Doo

Ruh-roh
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since it looks like they are going to send all reviews to a central location next year as opposed to the stupid "under the hood" rule, I agree with the two P.I. rules. If the call is made on the field, let the central review team determine if it is a spot foul or a 15 yarder. Similar to the "break away" foul in the NBA. I'm sick of the 50 yard penalty when it isn't deserved. you see it way too often.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this has been done but a couple of things have been bugging me. When one of the Niners jumped over the LOS on 3rd and goal from the 1 for the Panthers it got me thinking. That should have been a first down. It would have been a 1st down had the goal line not been there. Why should the D get a free shot like that ? Anyway, this isn't about that play or yesterday's game. I didn't really care who won. A couple of proposed changes

- All penalties should be walked off down to the 1 yard line if the offending team is backed up. None of this "half the distance to the goal line" stuff. Why should the D get a break on a penalty just because they've allowed the other team to penetrate that far ?

- In the above situation if walking off the actual distance of the penalty would have given the offense a 1st down they should be awarded a 1st down.

- PI should be a 15 yarder instead of a spot foul. No more 50 yard penalties. (I know this is controversial, but the passing game gets enough breaks and I already proposed 2 changes that would benefit offenses).

If you object, explain why... or add your own rule change proposals.

I disagree. I think there should be 2 type of PI penalties just as they used to have 2 type of facemask penalties. If it is an obvious PI where you intentionally prevented a deep ball, I think it should be a spot foul but if it is something that isn't so blatant then make it a 15 yard penalty

I also think certain penalties should be challenged....Mainly the defenseless WR and roughing the QB flags

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this completely. Hated last year that McCoy went and interviewed with the Chargers during the bye week instead of spending time with his players and watching film. The offense played flat and very predictable at times. Looked very similar yesterday for the Chargers in the offense looked very flat and counter to how they had played all year.

It's a distraction yes, but after the SB I don't get...once you're out, your season is done...the rumors (the biggest part of the distraction) will still be there.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since it looks like they are going to send all reviews to a central location next year as opposed to the stupid "under the hood" rule, I agree with the two P.I. rules. If the call is made on the field, let the central review team determine if it is a spot foul or a 15 yarder. Similar to the "break away" foul in the NBA. I'm sick of the 50 yard penalty when it isn't deserved. you see it way too often.

No to the 2 PI rules...The PI should be reviewable to determine if legit or not, but spot foul should stay imo. Trying to establish intent is way too much to handle on a play that happens so often.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see a new rule coming.

This weekend a Seahawks receiver got his bell rung by an illegal hit. He had a concussion review. He was later out of the game with a concussion. (after falling hard later on I believe)

It got me thinking ...is it not well worth the 15 yard penalty if you hit a top receiver and he is out of the game for concussion symptoms? ..going forward I think it will be a tactic.

You may see the NFL start a auto ejection rule if you cause a concussion on an illegal hit.
Keep in mind ..the concussion review on the sidelines will get more stringent with time.

Why should only star players get this treatment though? The NFL is all about protecting players period... They shouldn't give this type of treatment to certain players

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
No way change the PI rule. And hell no to making it a two tier penalty.

The rule change needs to be making these helmet to helmet hits reviewable. Tired off all the bad calls. Niners got jobbed against the saints, then the same crew did it again to them against Carolina yesterday. Luckely it didn't have the same impact.

Also, I like the laser idea on FGs.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Also O-linemen diving at D-linemens knees.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why should only star players get this treatment though? The NFL is all about protecting players period... They shouldn't give this type of treatment to certain players

Yes ..it should be for all players. But if a team is going to target a player with the hopes a concussion knocks him out of the game ..it will most likely a top player.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shitty player goes into game, takes one hit from star, fakes concussion.

Easy way to change a game :thumb: