• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rule Change proposals

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this has been done but a couple of things have been bugging me. When one of the Niners jumped over the LOS on 3rd and goal from the 1 for the Panthers it got me thinking. That should have been a first down. It would have been a 1st down had the goal line not been there. Why should the D get a free shot like that ? Anyway, this isn't about that play or yesterday's game. I didn't really care who won. A couple of proposed changes

- All penalties should be walked off down to the 1 yard line if the offending team is backed up. None of this "half the distance to the goal line" stuff. Why should the D get a break on a penalty just because they've allowed the other team to penetrate that far ?

- In the above situation if walking off the actual distance of the penalty would have given the offense a 1st down they should be awarded a 1st down.

- PI should be a 15 yarder instead of a spot foul. No more 50 yard penalties. (I know this is controversial, but the passing game gets enough breaks and I already proposed 2 changes that would benefit offenses).

If you object, explain why... or add your own rule change proposals.

Itsmytime

I love Beer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 6.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know this has been done but a couple of things have been bugging me. When one of the Niners jumped over the LOS on 3rd and goal from the 1 for the Panthers it got me thinking. That should have been a first down. It would have been a 1st down had the goal line not been there. Why should the D get a free shot like that ? Anyway, this isn't about that play or yesterday's game. I didn't really care who won. A couple of proposed changes

- All penalties should be walked off down to the 1 yard line if the offending team is backed up. None of this "half the distance to the goal line" stuff. Why should the D get a break on a penalty just because they've allowed the other team to penetrate that far?

- In the above situation if walking off the actual distance of the penalty would have given the offense a 1st down they should be awarded a 1st down.

- PI should be a 15 yarder instead of a spot foul. No more 50 yard penalties. (I know this is controversial, but the passing game gets enough breaks and I already proposed 2 changes that would benefit offenses).

I agree with everything but the statement in bold. Reasoning behind this is: Pass interference occurs on a 50 yard pass play and there is a blatant PI to save a touchdown from happening. So you think the defense should get a reprieve and only be penalized 15 yards and screw over the offense? I say no to that.

Just my .02

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

- All penalties should be walked off down to the 1 yard line if the offending team is backed up. None of this "half the distance to the goal line" stuff. Why should the D get a break on a penalty just because they've allowed the other team to penetrate that far ?

I agree, and disagree... I disagree, because players will knock the player down when he would normally obviously catch the ball...

What i think is that there should be 3 different pass interference calls

1. When even after the player was interfered with the player still had an opportunity to make the catch
2. If without the interference it would have still been a very difficult catch(ball may have went too far)
3. The defender took all the opportunity a player had to make the catch and he would have caught it...

The First 2 would be 10 Yards and automatic first down
the 3rd would be the spot foul and automatic first down

Refs use their digression to decide which type of PI it was...

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No to all.

Half the distance is perfect, keeping it goal to go is fine.

Changing PI just encourages defenders to do it.

Broncos6482

Troll Boy Extraordinaire
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, and disagree... I disagree, because players will knock the player down when he would normally obviously catch the ball...

1. When even after the player was interfered with the player still had an opportunity to make the catch
2. If without the interference it would have still been a very difficult catch(ball may have went too far)
3. The defender took all the opportunity a player had to make the catch and he would have caught it...

I'd rather they just made 2 types of pass interference. One a 10 yarder for more borderline calls, the other a spot foul for the obvious, egregious pass interference that basically everyone would agree was pass interference. This would eliminate the, say, tackling of a player that clearly beat you so you only give up 10 yards instead of a touchdown (as this would be the egregious penalty that would be a spot foul), but it wouldn't mean a 50 yard penalty on a deep ball that maybe was pi but maybe wasn't, too.

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's the problem. Does the NFL have refs capable of that? Unfortunately, the fewer judgement calls for the officials to make the better.

Remember the force out rule? The NFL eliminated it and I'm glad they did. That rule required a level of good judgement to call correctly that NFL officials don't possess.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's the problem. Does the NFL have refs capable of that? Unfortunately, the fewer judgement calls for the officials to make the better.

Remember the force out rule? The NFL eliminated it and I'm glad they did. That rule required a level of good judgement to call correctly that NFL officials don't possess.

The refs are not as bad as they seem... the problem is that the rules are set that when they do make mistakes they can change games... If we make the rules better then they can enforce it better...

**not saying my proposal would make the rules better***

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No to all.

:agree: to add to this I would say changing the PI calls to various infractions will further confuse the already inept referees

eric5577x

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think they need to stop reviewing every TD, even the obvious ones. There was no need for Keenan Allen second TD to take that long to review that they needed a commercial break for it. They also need to do something about the FG, make them taller or something...I feel there were a few kicks missed that were called good...

Mr. Tacoma

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The refs are not as bad as they seem... the problem is that the rules are set that when they do make mistakes they can change games... If we make the rules better then they can enforce it better...

**not saying my proposal would make the rules better***

Don't get me wrong, I don't think your idea is that far off base. I'm just wary of giving refs a gray area to interpret.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see a new rule coming.

This weekend a Seahawks receiver got his bell rung by an illegal hit. He had a concussion review. He was later out of the game with a concussion. (after falling hard later on I believe)

It got me thinking ...is it not well worth the 15 yard penalty if you hit a top receiver and he is out of the game for concussion symptoms? ..going forward I think it will be a tactic.

You may see the NFL start a auto ejection rule if you cause a concussion on an illegal hit.
Keep in mind ..the concussion review on the sidelines will get more stringent with time.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anything we need to take gray area out of the game as much as possible. Please no to giving the refs even more control than they already have in the game. Keep PI the same.

The others I don't see the need to change them. If an offense is down by the goal line they don't need an extra advantage of a penalty getting them a first down on an offside. There are already too many penalties that get them automatic first downs making life hell for the defense.

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see a new rule coming.

This weekend a Seahawks receiver got his bell rung by an illegal hit. He had a concussion review. He was later out of the game with a concussion. (after falling hard later on I believe)

It got me thinking ...is it not well worth the 15 yard penalty if you hit a top receiver and he is out of the game for concussion symptoms? ..going forward I think it will be a tactic.

You may see the NFL start a auto ejection rule if you cause a concussion on an illegal hit.
Keep in mind ..the concussion review on the sidelines will get more stringent with time.

I would like to see a rule where a player gets ejected after his second helmet to helmet contact foul. And if a player racks up more than 4 of these penalties, during a season, he is suspended for the rest of the season. If they might not get to play, they will stop with that BS.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I like this idea. Make it a ref's discretion sort of call, like roughing or running into the punter. If it's obvious the DB just tackled the guy to prevent a big gain, make it a spot foul. If its not blatant make it 10 yards & a 1st down.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No to all.

If you would, please explain why half the distance "is fine". Why should it be less of a penalty when the D is backed up than it would be anywhere else on the field ?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's still too beneficial to interfere down the field that way. PI needs to be left 100% as is.

For the ejection/suspension for helmet to helmet hit idea, fuck no. Most of the flags that they throw for "helmet to helmet" don't even involve helmet to helmet contact, and of the ones that do, most are clean hits.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you would, please explain why half the distance "is fine". Why should it be less of a penalty when the D is backed up than it would be anywhere else on the field ?

Because half the distance or an unearned first down both increase the odds of scoring significantly more than 15 yards nearly anywhere on the field.

Midnightangel

Troll slayer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

At one time it was a 15 yard penalty. The problem was that, on a 40 yard bomb where the DB knew he was beat, he'd PI the guy and it was a lesser penalty than give up that long of a play. In effect, you're rewarding the defense for getting beat on that play. It was a good move and I agree with it. It needs to be reviewable though since it so drastically changes field position.

- Rule change. If the kicker bangs one off the upright and it still goes in, he gets 4 points instead of three. Ditto for FG's over 60 yards.

- Rule change. If the home team intercepts a ball and it's a pick 6, free beer for fans.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If anything we need to take gray area out of the game as much as possible. Please no to giving the refs even more control than they already have in the game. Keep PI the same.

The others I don't see the need to change them. If an offense is down by the goal line they don't need an extra advantage of a penalty getting them a first down on an offside. There are already too many penalties that get them automatic first downs making life hell for the defense.

It's not an extra advantage, though. I'm proposing they get the same advantage they'd have if the penalty were to occur anywhere else on the field. I'm not suggesting an automatic first down, just a 1st down if the yardage the penalty calls for would have given them one. If they started 1st & goal at the 4, 5 yards for encroachment wouldn't give them a 1st down.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because half the distance or an unearned first down both increase the odds of scoring significantly more than 15 yards nearly anywhere on the field.

How is it an unearned 1st down ? It's the defense that gets an unearned advantage the way it is now. If you're a defense and you commit a 5 yard penalty that would give the offense a 1st down anywhere else on the field why shouldn't it be a 1st down when the D is backed up ? If it increases the chance that the offense scores ... too bad. Don't commit the penalty.