• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Round 2: (2) Pittsburgh v. (1) Washington

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PENGUINS-CAPITALS GAME 5 ON NBC IS SECOND-MOST WATCHED NON-STANLEY CUP FINAL NHL PLAYOFF GAME SINCE 1993

Saturday’s primetime presentation of Game 5 between the Penguins and Capitals on NBC (7:08-11:05 p.m. ET) is the second-most watched non-Stanley Cup Final game on record (since 1993), averaging 4.164 million viewers. The game also posted a 2.40 HH rating, making it the second-highest rated non-Stanley Cup Final game ever on NBC (since 2006). Saturday night’s game trails only last year’s Western Conference Final Game 7 matchup between the Chicago Blackhawks and Anaheim Ducks on NBC in both categories (5/30/15; 4.601 million viewers and 2.61 HH rating).

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but Crosby has been a huge disappointment. You can't even tell when he's on the ice...too many times he pulls up instead of driving the net, drop passes vs shooting, backward passes leading to steals and odd man rushes. OV is noticeable when he's on the ice as is Malkin...

Sid has disappeared...

Eh... Malkin hasn't been that visible since Game 2. They both need to step it up. Can't rely on the top two lines (Kessel and Cullen's lines) to do everything themselves. :D

I agree on the bolded, that Crosby can start playing too predictably, and he's been guilty of that this series. Cycle, cycle, make the defense collapse, backhand pass to the point and then go to the net for a deflection. When it works, great. But when he forces it, the other team anticipates, and either picks the pass off for a clearing attempt or a break the other way. He needs to show better judgement.

Don't think he's been as bad as the statline indicates. He's been going pretty hard to the net. On his first assist, he manages to get to the front and run a screen; I doubt Holtby lets in that softy otherwise. And on Hornqvist's goal, Holtby admits to overplaying Crosby:

“I had to watch it again just to see what happened,” says Holtby. “Just a dribbling puck. I went to play Crosby, and it kind of popped to the next guy and I overplayed him. I thought I had to get there quicker than I did.”

Crosby didn't get a point on that play, but was just as important to that goal as anyone else.

If we lose tonight, with Crosby and Malkin silent again, I'll be pissed. But I can't really get mad at them while our team is up 3-2 against the league's top team. If our top two lines cancel out theirs, I'm happy to let our bottom two lines win the series.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh... Malkin hasn't been that visible since Game 2. They both need to step it up. Can't rely on the top two lines (Kessel and Cullen's lines) to do everything themselves. :D

I agree on the bolded, that Crosby can start playing too predictably, and he's been guilty of that this series. Cycle, cycle, make the defense collapse, backhand pass to the point and then go to the net for a deflection. When it works, great. But when he forces it, the other team anticipates, and either picks the pass off for a clearing attempt or a break the other way. He needs to show better judgement.

Don't think he's been as bad as the statline indicates. He's been going pretty hard to the net. On his first assist, he manages to get to the front and run a screen; I doubt Holtby lets in that softy otherwise. And on Hornqvist's goal, Holtby admits to overplaying Crosby:

“I had to watch it again just to see what happened,” says Holtby. “Just a dribbling puck. I went to play Crosby, and it kind of popped to the next guy and I overplayed him. I thought I had to get there quicker than I did.”

Crosby didn't get a point on that play, but was just as important to that goal as anyone else.

If we lose tonight, with Crosby and Malkin silent again, I'll be pissed. But I can't really get mad at them while our team is up 3-2 against the league's top team. If our top two lines cancel out theirs, I'm happy to let our bottom two lines win the series.
I was getting pissed at Malkin in game 5 because he kept trying to do his behind the back pass that caused a couple turnovers. I have a tough time figuring him out. Seems like he just doesn't give a shit some games when other games he can dominate in a way that reminds me of how Lemieux could carry the team on his back.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Malkin and Crosby began to look frustrated with the way the caps were playing them. If they are able to continue to frustrate them, it could very easily work in the caps' favor with undisciplined play from the both of them.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why do I do this? Can someone remind me? This can't be healthy.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that escalated quickly (lol)

/referencing jstew's post above.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was getting pissed at Malkin in game 5 because he kept trying to do his behind the back pass that caused a couple turnovers. I have a tough time figuring him out. Seems like he just doesn't give a shit some games when other games he can dominate in a way that reminds me of how Lemieux could carry the team on his back.

I feel if his brain was as big as his talent, he probably would be the best player in the NHL.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really Pierre.....Winnik "got it high and hard"...... :L

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Some really good saves in this first period. This could be a much higher scoring game than it is.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the caps lose, has anyone choked more in the playoffs than ovechkin with his loaded teams

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the caps lose, has anyone choked more in the playoffs than ovechkin with his loaded teams

Isn't he the leading scorer in the series?

Okay then. The dickbags that know nothing about hockey that suddenly drop by the NHL boards during the playoffs are hilarious.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pens had the ice in the first. Good period for them... but also not bad for the Caps getting out of that one down 1-0.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't he the leading scorer in the series?

Okay then. The dickbags that know nothing about hockey that suddenly drop by the NHL boards during the playoffs are hilarious.
oh were talking about a single series eh? I mean not winning a cup. PLease dick face, question my hockey knowledge.......