• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Round 2: (2) Pittsburgh v. (1) Washington

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Pens do not exactly have a sparkling record of late in the playoffs when they are up 3-1 in a series.

Just the Rangers series loss, that's really it. Otherwise they haven't really gotten to 3-1 lead in a series. Pretty sure the Habs 2010 series that went seven wasn't 3-1? Maybe it was?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has to be all media talk, right? The pens can't be that stupid can they?

Murray took the brunt of the work at practice today. The media is just looking for a semblance of a story line.

EDIT:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just the Rangers series loss, that's really it. Otherwise they haven't really gotten to 3-1 lead in a series. Pretty sure the Habs 2010 series that went seven wasn't 3-1? Maybe it was?

Tampa Bay in 2011 (Pens were up 3-1 in that series, Bolts took it in 7 games).

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has to be all media talk, right? The pens can't be that stupid can they?

Just media looking for some interesting storylines. It's Murray. There's no way you throw Fleury, who hasn't played a game in like a month, in over Murray when the kids has been playing pretty damn well. Maybe if Murray gets shelled on Tuesday, but at this point? No way.

Blew a 3-1 lead to Tampa a few years ago, but that was without 87 or 71. I think everyone was a bit surprised we were up in that series anyway.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tampa Bay in 2011 (Pens were up 3-1 in that series, Bolts took it in 7 games).

Meh, I don't even look at that year. It was miraculous they even got that close.
Arron Asham Maxime Talbot Kris Letang
Tyler Kennedy Jordan Staal Brooks Orpik Alex Kovalev
James Neal Mike Rupp Ben Lovejoy
Paul Martin Craig Adams Chris Conner
Pascal Dupuis Chris Kunitz Mark Letestu
Zbynek Michalek Matt Niskanen Eric Tangradi
Marc-Andre Fleury
Brent Johnson

Holy awful roster Batman.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Meh, I don't even look at that year. It was miraculous they even got that close.
Marc-Andre Fleury
Brent Johnson

Also, here are the four guys still around from that team. One of which isn't even starting.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marc-Andre Fleury
Brent Johnson

After all he took a team to the ECF that had the following defense core (listed by games played):
Brett Clark (age 33)
Victor Hedman (age 19)
Pavel Kubina (age 33)
Mattias Ohlund (age 33)
Mike Lundin (LOL, age 25)
Randy Jones (age 29)
Eric Brewer (age 31)

and goalies:

Dwayne Roloson (age 40)
Dan Ellis (Age 30)
Mike Smith (age 28)

That is seriously ugly. Based on that I'm willing to give him a chance.
Okay, so which was the bigger miracle - the "Holy awful roster" or the "seriously ugly" goalies and defence lol

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, so which was the bigger miracle - the "Holy awful roster" or the "seriously ugly" goalies and defence lol

Hahah, it was weakness on weakness, horrible forwards vs ugly defense/goal. Although I recall Roloson being on a tear that postseason. Pens best forward talent wise was Neal, but that was before he found his niche with Malkin. Had one goal in 2OT. Only guy that was decent was freaking Arron Asham.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahah, it was weakness on weakness, horrible forwards vs ugly defense/goal. Although I recall Roloson being on a tear that postseason. Pens best forward talent wise was Neal, but that was before he found his niche with Malkin. Had one goal in 2OT. Only guy that was decent was freaking Arron Asham.
Yeah Roloson had a .949 sv% in that series and a .925 in the next round. He struggled against Boston although the Bolts still made that a 7 game series because they had MSL and Vinnie and a youngster named Stamkos.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Roloson had a .949 sv% in that series and a .925 in the next round. He struggled against Boston although the Bolts still made that a 7 game series because they had MSL and Vinnie and a youngster named Stamkos.

I think that year MSL was kinda ridiculous...trying to remember. I think he finished top 3 in Hart?

*googles*

82 GP, 31G, 68A, 99P (1.21 ppg...*whistles*)
Playoffs 18GP, 10G, 10A, 20P

Yeahhhh, nice year.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think that year MSL was kinda ridiculous...trying to remember. I think he finished top 3 in Hart?

*googles*

82 GP, 31G, 68A, 99P (1.21 ppg...*whistles*)
Playoffs 18GP, 10G, 10A, 20P

Yeahhhh, nice year.
Second highest point total of his career. Him and Stamkos made for a good partnership (Stammer had 45 g and 91 p that year).

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Second highest point total of his career. Him and Stamkos made for a good partnership (Stammer had 45 g and 91 p that year).

I think I'm remembering his Art Ross year a bit, but that was lockout shortened year. Still, he had some reallllly solid years later in his career. Impressive.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...Had to listen to the first period in the car, didn't have my good-luck Crosby sweater or beer/chips.

Maybe if you start wearing a Bonino jersey Crosby will start playing awesome? :noidea:

Article in the Post today on Nick Backstrom noted that he, as well as Alzner and Niskanen on defense, have now held Giroux and Crosby to just 3 assists combined in 12 games. That's pretty spectacular.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe if you start wearing a Bonino jersey Crosby will start playing awesome? :noidea:

Article in the Post today on Nick Backstrom noted that he, as well as Alzner and Niskanen on defense, have now held Giroux and Crosby to just 3 assists combined in 12 games. That's pretty spectacular.

I honestly think it's the work of the forwards that are keeping the Pens big guns in check. The Niskanen pair has definitely been most consistent. I, for one, am hopeful that the Orpik Anchor return to Carlson will help one of the stars take off on Tuesday. Also hoping that Olli scores off of Brooks' face.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly think it's the work of the forwards that are keeping the Pens big guns in check. The Niskanen pair has definitely been most consistent. I, for one, am hopeful that the Orpik Anchor return to Carlson will help one of the stars take off on Tuesday. Also hoping that Olli scores off of Brooks' face.

I wish pix would stop sugarcoating it and tells us how she really feels.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd say, in general, both teams have done a remarkable job of limiting the opposition's stars. Backstrom: 2a, Kuznetsov, 1a, Malkin 1g, 1a, Crosby 2a. The only one who is showing a bit of life on the scoreboard is OV with 2g and 3a, but this is nothing like '09.

Overall, I wouldn't say any of those player have been particularly bad, it just seems to be a really tight series. Goalies are playing well, defense is tight, and it's the role players right now (is Oshie a role player?) making the difference.

I know I should be disappointed that Crosby and Malkin aren't producing more, but honestly, it's the first time in a long time that the Pens have been able to stay competitive without them going into god-like mode, and that's pretty damn refreshing. I'm always a fan of the team first, so if we can win with them going quiet, I really don't care.

elocomotive

A useful idiot.
Hoopla Cash
$ 201.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say, in general, both teams have done a remarkable job of limiting the opposition's stars. Backstrom: 2a, Kuznetsov, 1a, Malkin 1g, 1a, Crosby 2a. The only one who is showing a bit of life on the scoreboard is OV with 2g and 3a, but this is nothing like '09.

Overall, I wouldn't say any of those player have been particularly bad, it just seems to be a really tight series. Goalies are playing well, defense is tight, and it's the role players right now (is Oshie a role player?) making the difference.

I know I should be disappointed that Crosby and Malkin aren't producing more, but honestly, it's the first time in a long time that the Pens have been able to stay competitive without them going into god-like mode, and that's pretty damn refreshing. I'm always a fan of the team first, so if we can win with them going quiet, I really don't care.

^TLDR version of OV > Crosby

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry, but Crosby has been a huge disappointment. You can't even tell when he's on the ice...too many times he pulls up instead of driving the net, drop passes vs shooting, backward passes leading to steals and odd man rushes. OV is noticeable when he's on the ice as is Malkin...

Sid has disappeared...