• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Round 2: (2) Pittsburgh v. (1) Washington

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In other news, is there a goaltending controversy in Pittsburgh? How do you take Matt Murray out of the lineup even if Fleury is healthy the way he is playing?
No way on Earth you can make that change.

Small sample size and all that, but Murray's stats right now blow Fleury's career PO stats out of the water.

KennyBanyeah

Buckle up!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,042.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see that going either way really.

Even though they lost, the Caps played their best game of the series last night. But they still lost. So wouldn't you think you'd want to have one of your top guys out there in practice?

Come on SFITS, Game >>> Practice. Having Letang out is worth more than practice.

9908cb640cf00bd6689bd2aee22f0a9d.768x506x1.jpg

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We should all thank our lucky stars it wasn't Matt Murray, Pierre really likes goalies.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to resist the urge to make a totally inappropriate Graham James quip here.

And I'll see myself out.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seem to keep having other commitments during Caps/Pens games, and I am not sure I've seen an entire game this series. That said, I did see the third last night. My gut feel is... kid's drinking adrenaline from a firehose.

He has great instincts, and to a degree he seems to study his opponents. On the power play last night, he was shading towards OV in that circle pretty bad. Not condemning it, I would too. I think he's looked kind of vulnerable side to side as he doesn't seem to have one defined "move" when the play goes behind the net. Sometimes he stays upright, sometime he scrambles low, sometimes he puts a foot at each post and waits for a move. The Caps are not getting him moving a lot, especially not from behind the net so he doesn't look exposed.

I am curious how he'd react to a quick 2 or 3 from the Caps. He had a ton of confidence in that third and it looked to me like it made him a bit too over-amped. He could have been burned bad a few times, but the Caps just couldn't do it.

That side to side stuff is something I've seen. He seems to bite hard occasionally and basically leave a yawning cage if even a decent pass is made.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this might be a must-win for the Caps. Just psychologically. After last night's barrage, if they lose another game to the ragtag D of Daley, Cole, Dumoulin, Lovejoy, Pouliot and Shultz, backstopped by rookie goaltender Murray, I don't know if they have the heart to rebound.

For Pens, I feel like there's no pressure. Everyone expects them to lose without Letang. Thankfully they can mitigate his absence somewhat with last change. I hope they get back to their speed game, forecheck / trap hard, and cut out the nervous icings. Pens win if Murray has another big game, but they'll need at least one goal from Crosby's line, and another from the powerplay.

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is when the supposed superstar, Skid, needs to show up

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad news Caps fans. It's Star Wars day and the force is with us.

Bloody Brian Burke

#1 CFL Fan!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,152.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bad news Caps fans. It's Star Wars day and the force is with us.

Great, they've got the fucking robot who's always breaking.

If they really want all the help they can get they'll find Sir Alec Guinness' corpse and resurrect him.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great, they've got the fucking robot who's always breaking.

If they really want all the help they can get they'll find Sir Alec Guinness' corpse and resurrect him.

Little known fact: C3PO is actually a Jedi master. In fact, the greatest of them all. Watch the trilogy again. He's everywhere. What's more powerful than a midichlorian conception? Being built from scratch by the midichlorian conception.

It's the only way the prequels make sense.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Little known fact: C3PO is actually a Jedi master. In fact, the greatest of them all. Watch the trilogy again. He's everywhere. What's more powerful than a midichlorian conception? Being built from scratch by the midichlorian conception.

It's the only way the prequels make sense.
What are these three prequels you speak of?

/oh, you mean the past Caps playoff failures against the Pens?

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think this might be a must-win for the Caps. Just psychologically. After last night's barrage, if they lose another game to the ragtag D of Daley, Cole, Dumoulin, Lovejoy, Pouliot and Shultz, backstopped by rookie goaltender Murray, I don't know if they have the heart to rebound.

For Pens, I feel like there's no pressure. Everyone expects them to lose without Letang. Thankfully they can mitigate his absence somewhat with last change. I hope they get back to their speed game, forecheck / trap hard, and cut out the nervous icings. Pens win if Murray has another big game, but they'll need at least one goal from Crosby's line, and another from the powerplay.

I think the forwards need to be the big factor tonight. If they're able to get the forecheck going, and be responsible on the backcheck as well, they can steal one. But you're absolutely right, I'm simply expecting a loss. That said, Sully did say Maatta, Rust were game time decisions. And Fehr for some reason. Think he's just playing kind games again, and gosh I hope Fehr can play...I want Sestito far away.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dear Barry,

I'd like to take a moment to say thank you. Tonight isn't going to be easy without our best defenseman, and it's obvious that you are aware and sympathetic to this. Your inclusion of Weber in the lineup tonight is very considerate of you, especially in the absence of Orpik, and we are very thankful.

Pens Fan

scoutyjones2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oprik has been missing for about half the season...no big loss