• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Round 2: (2) Pittsburgh v. (1) Washington

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does BizNasty think of all these hits?

He also referenced the Scott Stevens influence:

"If you are a physical defenseman, you grew up idolizing players such as Scott Stevens who was a thunderous hitter. But many of the same people who exalt Stevens today call for a player to be suspended forever if he makes a questionable hit."

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What does BizNasty think of all these hits?

He also referenced the Scott Stevens influence:

"If you are a physical defenseman, you grew up idolizing players such as Scott Stevens who was a thunderous hitter. But many of the same people who exalt Stevens today call for a player to be suspended forever if he makes a questionable hit."
I understand Stevens will always be know for his hits on Lindros, Kariya and Kozlov. But that was a different era in hockey so it's hard to compare them to today's game. What a lot of people seem to forget. Is how complete of a player Stevens was. He was one of the best hitters in the game both in open ice and on the boards. Played a very strong defensive player and an extremely valuable asset on the offensive side of the puck. He was A + 393 in the regular season and = 402 in his playoff career. Had 196 goals and 712 assists in the regular season and 26 goals and 118 assists in the playoffs throughout his career.And was A leader on the ice for those cup teams.A lot of Stevens game gets over shadowed by those hits people reference. Stevens was not A dirty player. And far from the dirtiest player in the game during his era. He's just the biggest name which draws comparisons. Probably one of the biggest steals in NHL history Stevens earned his spot in the HOF

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand Stevens will always be know for his hits on Lindros, Kariya and Kozlov. But that was a different era in hockey so it's hard to compare them to today's game. What a lot of people seem to forget. Is how complete of a player Stevens was. He was one of the best hitters in the game both in open ice and on the boards. Played a very strong defensive player and an extremely valuable asset on the offensive side of the puck. He was A + 393 in the regular season and = 402 in his playoff career. Had 196 goals and 712 assists in the regular season and 26 goals and 118 assists in the playoffs throughout his career.And was A leader on the ice for those cup teams.A lot of Stevens game gets over shadowed by those hits people reference. Stevens was not A dirty player. And far from the dirtiest player in the game during his era. He's just the biggest name which draws comparisons. Probably one of the biggest steals in NHL history Stevens earned his spot in the HOF

From way back in 1991 and kinda funny that hard hitting Scott Stevens is forever linked to former NHL DOPS head Brendan Shanahan:

Judge Edward Houston sent shock waves through the hockey world yesterday by awarding Scott Stevens to the Devils as compensation from St. Louis for the loss of Brendan Shanahan, who had signed with the Blues as a free agent.

The judge's decision to award one of the league's premier defensemen as compensation for Shanahan may have a large impact on free agency in the league. Teams will now have second thoughts about signing free agents with compensation for fear of losing someone better if the case goes to arbitration.

Judge Houston, of the Ontario Court of Justice, is the league's only arbitrator for disputes involving the signing of free agents with compensation. When he notified the teams of his decision from his Ottawa office in mid-afternoon yesterday, the Devils were celebrating and the Blues were mourning.

"I'm delighted about the decision," said Lou Lamoriello, the president of the Devils, who had submitted to Houston that Stevens should be the compensation for Shanahan. The Blues had submitted a package of lesser players. "I'm just delighted to have Scott Stevens at our blue line," Lamoriello said. "His record speaks for itself."

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's not a dirty player by the standards of the game in his era, but plain and simple many of his hits wouldn't fly today. Not an indictment on him, he played within the rules of the time. That said, the rules of today are much safer. That Kariya incident gives me the heebie jeebies. "Off the floor, on the board!" is etched into my memory, but...holy crap he played in that game. Not only that he missed 4 minutes of game time.

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not a dirty player by the standards of the game in his era, but plain and simple many of his hits wouldn't fly today. Not an indictment on him, he played within the rules of the time. That said, the rules of today are much safer. That Kariya incident gives me the heebie jeebies. "Off the floor, on the board!" is etched into my memory, but...holy crap he played in that game. Not only that he missed 4 minutes of game time.
Im still impressed with Kariya not just coming back in the game but how he performed after that hit.
ijk_zpscetsy9wp.gif

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who else wishes Gary Thorne was still doing NHL play-by-play?

He's the voice of all my early hockey memories. Even the video games I played when I was younger. He was the final call on pretty much every Cup of my childhood (93-04).

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Im still impressed with Kariya not just coming back in the game but how he performed after that hit.
View attachment 114464

Adrenaline does crazzzzzy stuff. It's one of those things that's impressive, but also very scary, and in my line of work you hate it because then every athlete feels they have to go back and get the glory, etc.

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Oh, I know. I agree completely. But in contrast to a Lindstrom, or Leitch, or Coffee, he showed how one devastating (and at the time legal) could change the game, or even a series, and land you highlight of the night. I loved watching his highlights; now we know the consequences and I want them out of the game. Obviously there's much more to his resume for the hits, but how many current D grew up wanting to emulate those plays? Hard to turn that off, even harder when the dops sends mixed and inconsistent messages on headshots.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As an EST resident, I really hate these 8pm starts.
They are better than 8:30pm starts. I was in DC on Saturday and considered going to the game until I saw the start time - glad I didn't go.

As a resident of the windshield coast, I don't particularly mind them.

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are better than 8:30pm starts. I was in DC on Saturday and considered going to the game until I saw the start time - glad I didn't go.

As a resident of the windshield coast, I don't particularly mind them.

I love getting home at 5 PM Pacific for an 8 PM Eastern start :D