• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Round 2: (2) Pittsburgh v. (1) Washington

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not quite sure honestly how the NHL can say this is for interference and not for a head shot?

I realize that was the call on the ice, but I think that was the ref's way of getting out of giving a major and game to Letang for the hit.

The league should really call it for what it is.

They called Orpiks that too.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only reason I question Backstrom is because he had tons of ice to use instead of leaping over a guy, which with skates on gives me the heebie jeebies. But, even still nothing to come of that. Probably a "whoops, did I do that?" situation.
Biggest thing I can't see with Backstrom is where he's looking initially (the only views I've seen don't show is head). Given that he's always been a clean player, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he may have been looking elsewhere and at the last second saw OV and Letang laying down in front of him and had an "oh shit" moment before leaping into the air.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They called Orpiks that too.
Yeah, but his was actual interference because he hit a guy who hadn't had the puck for a very long time. There was definitely a headshot, but at least what they called it was legit.

Letang's hit was not, IMO, even really interference because he was finishing a check on a guy who had just played the puck. The only violation I see on Letang's hit was the headshot.

I don't have the tech to slow it down and count exactly how long after Johansson got rid of the puck it was before Letang hit him, but I don't think (maybe the Player Safety video will correct me) that it was past the .6 seconds guideline the league uses.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but his was actual interference because he hit a guy who hadn't had the puck for a very long time. There was definitely a headshot, but at least what they called it was legit.

Letang's hit was not, IMO, even really interference because he was finishing a check on a guy who had just played the puck. The only violation I see on Letang's hit was the headshot.

I don't have the tech to slow it down and count exactly how long after Johansson got rid of the puck it was before Letang hit him, but I don't think (maybe the Player Safety video will correct me) that it was past the .6 seconds guideline the league uses.

According to Bob Mckenzie:

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Letang gets at least one game (and possibly two), I mean he got a free pass in the Rangers series for that slash to the head. That said, who knows what goes into the thinking with the NHL DOPeS these days.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johansson not skating, but I'm 100% confident this is just posturing. This is what the league has created.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Letang gets at least one game (and possibly two), I mean he got a free pass in the Rangers series for that slash to the head. That said, who knows what goes into the thinking with the NHL DOPeS these days.

I'll be a little salty if that slash comes into the conversation here. If they had suspended him for it, fine. It's then obviously relevant. But you can't write off something as a non-factor, then decide it's relevant. Of course that would be expecting consistent thought from them. I'd even understand looking at other incidents within the series as context, but that one is just not relevant.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

*shrugs* I think it's mostly semantics. But if they're reviewing Letang's hit on interference alone, I don't expect a suspension. But gosh, I hope that's not how they review things, in such a tight box. "Called interference, it was, penalized, all done."

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course, additional consideration needs to be taken regarding my post above, as I'm not a big fan of Letang as I feel he has escaped punishment for some questionable hits and plays in the past and is long past due to face the music.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
*shrugs* I think it's mostly semantics. But if they're reviewing Letang's hit on interference alone, I don't expect a suspension. But gosh, I hope that's not how they review things, in such a tight box. "Called interference, it was, penalized, all done."
It is semantics. My issue is that the league is constantly paying lip service to wanting to cracking down on headshots, but then they won't even call a headshot what it really is.

ritari330

Only a myth
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Johansson is out for a game or more then that is a big blow. He's been one of the best forwards in the playoffs for the Caps.

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if MJ was fine, you wouldn't think maybe the Caps hold him out of practice knowing full well Letang has his hearing shortly?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if MJ was fine, you wouldn't think maybe the Caps hold him out of practice knowing full well Letang has his hearing shortly?

Ding ding ding. Esls moves on to the bonus round.

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see that going either way really.

Even though they lost, the Caps played their best game of the series last night. But they still lost. So wouldn't you think you'd want to have one of your top guys out there in practice?

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I could see that going either way really.

Even though they lost, the Caps played their best game of the series last night. But they still lost. So wouldn't you think you'd want to have one of your top guys out there in practice?

Having Letang potentially miss one or more games >> MoJo at practice

esls79

I am?
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have had him give an interview with a neck brace on and have a make up artist give him a funny colo(u)red black eye and when the reporter asks him about that say their captain gave it to me in a scrum but that is just playoff hockey. Really turn the Pens into goons and bring back the "they employed Matt Cooke card".

dare2be

IST EIN PINGUINE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would have had him give an interview with a neck brace on and have a make up artist give him a funny colo(u)red black eye and when the reporter asks him about that say their captain gave it to me in a scrum but that is just playoff hockey. Really turn the Pens into goons and bring back the "they employed Matt Cooke card".
I went to a hockey game and a poker game broke out.