• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Round 1 (via trade) Denver selects: Paxton Lynch

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It truly is but being the person I am I'm also tempering my expectations that he pans out. Just like any prospect we won't know for a while if it was a good, bad or OK move but one thing I do like is it cost us very little to get a franchise QB with that 5th year option if he does succeed. And I hope he does

I definitely can appreciate what you are saying. We don't know what kind of player he is going to be. What we do know is if he doesn't pan out, from where we sit today it appears it'll likely be his own fault. Coming in he is being given everything he needs to succeed: from a talented roster on both sides of the ball to the coaching staff. Even having a vet like Sanchez is an immense benefit, since Lynch won't have to carry the weight of a defending champion team on his shoulders as a rookie.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Jones has said that he lost sleep after the 1st round of the draft on missing out on Paxton Lynch. Brings a bit of a smile to my face to read that. Not so much that he lost sleep but just how much other teams really wanted this kid. AS much as the analyst have thought this kid to be a 2nd round pick it does look like a lot of teams had him very high on their draft board.

Manimal Sighting

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jerry Jones has said that he lost sleep after the 1st round of the draft on missing out on Paxton Lynch. Brings a bit of a smile to my face to read that. Not so much that he lost sleep but just how much other teams really wanted this kid. AS much as the analyst have thought this kid to be a 2nd round pick it does look like a lot of teams had him very high on their draft board.
All true but the last person I recall Jerry Jones being this upset about missing out on was Manziel. That being said the minute he was drafted I told everyone I was with he is a bust 100% guaranteed, not like it was hard to predict that one though. Don't have such opinions regarding Lynch

58crash

must own
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree OC Here.. Here ... :suds:

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All true but the last person I recall Jerry Jones being this upset about missing out on was Manziel. That being said the minute he was drafted I told everyone I was with he is a bust 100% guaranteed, not like it was hard to predict that one though. Don't have such opinions regarding Lynch

This one though is helped by the fact that at least a few other teams really wanted this kid. So it wasn't just Jones that was upset that he missed out on Paxton Lynch.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Very cool article! I so wish I could find the video I saw not long after he got drafted. One of his friends at the bowling alley was just recording him to show all that happened behind the scenes. 1st thing you notice is just how much support from family and friends he has. I know others have that as well but they from everything I have read are actually a big time positive influence in his life. He is not going to have the distraction of "family" coming out of nowhere demanding money or putting added stress on what is already a very stressful situation.

Next was right after he got off the phone with Kubiak the entire family and friends at the party gathered to pray together. Again I think just shows his upbringing and the humility in the moment. The more I look into this kid the more I am excited to see what he can do.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also have to say that the Broncos not bringing in that 4th QB for training camp is a huge sign of confidence for both Paxton in wanting to give him every chance possible to get the starting job and also Sanchez in not having that 2nd veteran that would push him for the starting job. From what I have heard Sanchez has really impressed the coaches and players both with everything he has done so far. It is a big reason they decided not to bring in that 4th arm.

Dr Cyanide 28

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best (realistic) Case Scenario:
Paxton and Sanchez come into camp, both play well, but Sanchez plays EVEN BETTER! We roll into this season with Sanchez as our QB, giving Paxton a chance to work on footwork (this needs a lot of work), tighten his arm motion up, and learn the intricacies of an NFL playbook and playing under center. Sanchez plays GREAT this season, with Paxton learning under him and growing. Sanchez walks next offseason for a decent contract that can net us a 2018 compensatory pick. Lynch is the unquestioned starting QB going into the 2018 offseason, with a year of development under his belt (going from his offense at Memphis to NFL level competition with where he currently stands is going to take some development) and we have him cost controlled for 4 more years as our QB of the Future and Present.
Worse Case Scenario:
Sanchez blows in camp and forces our Elway and Co's hand to start Lynch early. Lynch goes out there and looks overwhelmed right away, not picking up the playbook and with whack footwork/arm mechanics. Because he was thrown to the fire too soon, he isn't given the proper time to develop form Memphis to NFL, and his early failure leads to bad habits and shaken confidence, leading to another first round bust QB and setting the Broncos back multiple years, wasting a talented defense.
Story of the post:
If we decide not to start lynch right away, that is not a bad thing. He has all the tools in the world, but he is very VERY raw. If Elway and Co decide to start him year one and simplify the offense, fine, I am excited to see what Lynch can do. However, if they go with Sanchez this season (or just to start this season) then DON'T BE THE FOOL CALLING FOR LYNCH after every Sanchez incompletion. If Elway and Co don't think Lynch is ready yet, then for the love of God don't throw him out there. Be patient, trust Elway and Kubiak if Lynch isn't starting year 1, and Go Broncos.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best (realistic) Case Scenario:
Paxton and Sanchez come into camp, both play well, but Sanchez plays EVEN BETTER! We roll into this season with Sanchez as our QB, giving Paxton a chance to work on footwork (this needs a lot of work), tighten his arm motion up, and learn the intricacies of an NFL playbook and playing under center. Sanchez plays GREAT this season, with Paxton learning under him and growing. Sanchez walks next offseason for a decent contract that can net us a 2018 compensatory pick. Lynch is the unquestioned starting QB going into the 2018 offseason, with a year of development under his belt (going from his offense at Memphis to NFL level competition with where he currently stands is going to take some development) and we have him cost controlled for 4 more years as our QB of the Future and Present.
Worse Case Scenario:
Sanchez blows in camp and forces our Elway and Co's hand to start Lynch early. Lynch goes out there and looks overwhelmed right away, not picking up the playbook and with whack footwork/arm mechanics. Because he was thrown to the fire too soon, he isn't given the proper time to develop form Memphis to NFL, and his early failure leads to bad habits and shaken confidence, leading to another first round bust QB and setting the Broncos back multiple years, wasting a talented defense.
Story of the post:
If we decide not to start lynch right away, that is not a bad thing. He has all the tools in the world, but he is very VERY raw. If Elway and Co decide to start him year one and simplify the offense, fine, I am excited to see what Lynch can do. However, if they go with Sanchez this season (or just to start this season) then DON'T BE THE FOOL CALLING FOR LYNCH after every Sanchez incompletion. If Elway and Co don't think Lynch is ready yet, then for the love of God don't throw him out there. Be patient, trust Elway and Kubiak if Lynch isn't starting year 1, and Go Broncos.

This is where the saying "Win from now on" really comes into play. I honestly have no clue what to expect from the Broncos this season. We won a ton of close games last year that could just as easily go the other way this year. You are right if the Broncos don't think Paxton is ready this year then it could actually backfire to put him out there even if the team is losing. I know us fans are terrible at having patience but it took us 20 years to win our 3rd Super Bowl after going back to back. Maybe red shirting Paxton is for the best with the mindset of winning from now on.

Now I will say I am excited by all I hear about Sanchez. I think he is going to do just fine as long as fan pressure doesn't get to him. It sounds like his teammates all really like him. It sounds like the coaches love his work ethic which I hope Paxton looks at and tries to mimic. So I think if he can get through the first few games looking pretty good then yeah we will have Sanchez get a year to show what he can do and Paxton can work with Knapp on the sideline.