• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rotating O-linemen

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was just reading a piece about Vlad Ducasse fighting for a roster spot with the Jets.

Long story short is that they refrenced him rotating "every 3rd series" with guard Matt Slauson last season. This is the 3rd article I've read about rotating o-linemen (both guards and tackles) during games.

I know most teams rotate d-linemen to keep them fresh, but I hadn't ever really heard much about teams doing it on the offensive line until this offseason.

I have to wonder if that wouldn't be a bad way to go for us with all of the young reserves we have on board. I don't think I'd necessarily do it right away this year because our new line will need to build chemistry, but once they have a feel for eachother I wonder how good it would be for the development of our players to rotate them in occasionally. Also, much like with the d-line, I'd have to think that giving a guy a series off once or twice a game would help the line stay fresh all game. Additionally, it would have the added bonus of having all the linemen used to playing with different guys beside them, so that if we lose a guy to injury there would already be some continuity with his replacement.

With young guys like Bill Nagy, Rodney Austin and LaAdrian Waddle on the interior and a capable swing tackle in either Fox or Hilliard (pending which one wins the starting job) we'd have some interesting candidates to work in. On the other hand, though, you'd have to be very confidant in any player you're rotating in, since a mistake on the o-line can lead to bad consequences for the QB.

Anywho, it's pretty slow right now on the board and I'm just trying to drum up discussion... what are your thoughts on rotating our back-up o-linemen in during games?

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the idea, but only because we really only have 1 established quality starter. I am all for the rotation method until you find the best 5 for you. If any of the liine we have stand out though I would prefer they not lose the snaps.

Rotation until the best stand out I guess is my vote.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like rotating on the offensive line. It is such a position that requires supreme confidence continuity and communication as a unit. It is tough to build that when it changes every few series. There is a reason that the only team you have heard about doing it was just about the biggest offensive mess in the league last year.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
About the only time you will see it done is when a team has good offensive linemen with little stamina. Without the breaks, they become mush in the 4th quarter.