• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roster Projection (kind of)

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Bill Williamson's effort:

San Francisco 49ers' projected roster - San Francisco 49ers Blog - ESPN

It's actually not bad. Fairly similar to the one I posted a few weeks ago. A few thoughts:

He keeps Lloyd as a sixth receiver at LMJ's expense. That's entirely possible, particularly if we can trade LMJ, but it's tough to see Lloyd making the roster with no contribution on STs (if LMJ is gone, then Ellington or Patton becomes the likely return man, and we're unlikely to have five WRs active on game day).

And nine DL is way too many. On a given play, we almost never have more than three of those guys on the field (sole exception is short-yardage). I can't see us keeping more than eight, and even that is a big number for the position.

It's hard to imagine that we'd cut Skuta, especially if Aldon starts the year on a suspension - though Williamson doesn't appear to be factoring that in. Skuta played well as a backup last year, is a good STs player, and I think Lynch would have to have a hell of a preseason to beat him out outright.

JPurthe1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

It's actually not bad. Fairly similar to the one I posted a few weeks ago. A few thoughts:

He keeps Lloyd as a sixth receiver at LMJ's expense. That's entirely possible, particularly if we can trade LMJ, but it's tough to see Lloyd making the roster with no contribution on STs (if LMJ is gone, then Ellington or Patton becomes the likely return man, and we're unlikely to have five WRs active on game day).

And nine DL is way too many. On a given play, we almost never have more than three of those guys on the field (sole exception is short-yardage). I can't see us keeping more than eight, and even that is a big number for the position.

It's hard to imagine that we'd cut Skuta, especially if Aldon starts the year on a suspension - though Williamson doesn't appear to be factoring that in. Skuta played well as a backup last year, is a good STs player, and I think Lynch would have to have a hell of a preseason to beat him out outright.

Does he know how to count? Look at the d-line names and numbers? :L

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Does he know how to count? Look at the d-line names and numbers? :L

Nice. Should have caught that one myself. Well, even under his projection this opens up another spot. Gotta think Skuta is the shoe-in.

If we're going to keep eight DL (and I personally think even seven is on the heavy side for a DL in today's NFL), my money is on Dobbs over Ramsey. Ramsey would almost certainly be safe on the PS for a year.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

wasn't it just yesterday you said "its entirely possible", "likely the more I think about it", "pretty sure" we'd keep five RB's?

so today its "entirely possible" we keep four?

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Though I'm hardly one to call someone out for bad math when my initial roster consisted of 52 players....

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
wasn't it just yesterday you said "its entirely possible", "likely the more I think about it", "pretty sure" we'd keep five RB's?

so today its "entirely possible" we keep four?

Perhaps you are not familiar with the meaning of "likely" and "entirely possible." Those two positions are not mutually exclusive. On the contrary, a likely outcome effectively indicates that the opposite outcome is possible. I think we will keep five HBs. That doesn't mean it's not possible we'll keep four; I have repeatedly acknowledged that LMJ is in danger of being cut or traded, and Hunter could be traded. I detailed why I think Lloyd is unlikely to make the team above, and I believe in my initial projection.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Perhaps you are not familiar with the meaning of "likely" and "entirely possible." Those two positions are not mutually exclusive. On the contrary, a likely outcome effectively indicates that the opposite outcome is possible. I think we will keep five HBs. That doesn't mean it's not possible we'll keep four; I have repeatedly acknowledged that LMJ is in danger of being cut or traded, and Hunter could be traded. I detailed why I think Lloyd is unlikely to make the team above, and I believe in my initial projection.

ok, so by using "likely" and "entirely possible"......ie the good ol word game......you can have an opinion both ways.

actually not unusual for you to like both sides of anything, but had to point that out. :-)

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
ok, so by using "likely" and "entirely possible"......ie the good ol word game......you can have an opinion both ways.

actually not unusual for you to like both sides of anything, but had to point that out. :-)

Are you seriously attempting to call me out for not taking a firm enough stand on something and playing the "good ol word game"? You of all people, Deep?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Are you seriously attempting to call me out for not taking a firm enough stand on something and playing the "good ol word game"? You of all people, Deep?

haaa

no Crimson, in this case I'm saying you took a stance on both sides of the 'argument'. not didn't take a firm stance. one day you're almost sure its five RB's, the next day you're almost sure its four.

yesterday I said four and you 'jump on it', say no its five. today, its four....likely because I didn't say four again? :-)

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
haaa

no Crimson, in this case I'm saying you took a stance on both sides of the 'argument'. not didn't take a firm stance. one day you're almost sure its five RB's, the next day you're almost sure its four.

yesterday I said four and you 'jump on it', say no its five. today, its four....likely because I didn't say four again? :-)

See, we're back to you apparently not understanding the words. I think it is LIKELY we will keep five. I think it is POSSIBLE that it will be four. My position has not changed.

And for the record, my most decisive objection yesterday arose to you saying Lattimore could end up on the PS. Although that is, in theory, POSSIBLE, it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY. See how that works?

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, I'm gonna give this a shot. Predicting the roster for the first game.

Offense - 24

QB - 2
Colin Kaepernick, Blaine Gabbert
Really no suspense here. It would be something of a shock if this group looked any different.

RB - 6
Frank Gore, Bruce Miller, Kendall Hunter, Carlos Hyde, Marcus Lattimore, LaMichael James (Trey Millard, IR)
The first tough call, but I'm going with reports that James has looked very good fielding punts this offseason. He's very much on the bubble, but he doesn't have much trade value and there's a fair chance Hunter departs next year, so we keep him.

WR - 5
Anquan Boldin, Michael Crabtree, Stevie Johnson, Quinton Patton, Bruce Ellington
Lloyd may make a push, but at the end of the day, we need to be grooming replacements, not working with reclamation projects. Lloyd's only chance is if he beats out Johnson and/or proves to be the best deep threat among the WRs.

TE - 3
Vernon Davis, Vance McDonald, Derek Carrier
The first surprise of sorts, with Carrier beating Celek. Carrier is much more of a receiver than a blocker, but McDonald should be developing into a sound blocker (and had better show improvement as a receiver), and with Davis somewhat questionable for the future, we shift our focus to a guy who could be a legit receiving threat going forward.

OL - 8
Joe Staley, Mike Iupati, Daniel Kilgore, Alex Boone, Anthony Davis, Marcus Martin, Joe Looney, Jonathan Martin (Brandon Thomas, IR)
No real questions over the first seven spots. I think J. Martin beats out Snyder for the eighth due to his youth, but there's no guarantee. He's got a lot to prove, but he's versatile enough and talented enough to be a better version of Snyder. I wouldn't be shocked if one of the other guys clawed their way into the swing tackle spot, though.

Defense - 25

DL - 6
Justin Smith, Glenn Dorsey, Ray McDonald, Tank Carradine, Tony Jerod-Eddie, Quinton Dial (Ian Williams, PUP)
I don't have a ton of faith in Dial, but he can back up the NT spot and we used a fifth-round pick on him last year. Frankly, I think Dobbs might be able to start on several NFL teams, but TJE seems to have passed him in the lineup. Williams has been slow to recover from the injury, and starts on PUP. Tempted to keep seven here, but maybe we do once Williams returns.

OLB - 4
Ahmad Brooks, Corey Lemonier, Dan Skuta, Aaron Lynch (Aldon Smith, suspension)
I'm fudging here a bit with an Aldon suspension - which I think is probably four games. The first three are clear choices, particularly as Skuta and Lemonier play STs. Lynch is really on the bubble once Aldon returns, but if he can flash before then, I think he sticks.

ILB - 4
Patrick Willis, Chris Borland, Michael Wilhoite, Nick Moody (Navorro Bowman, PUP)
I know they love Costanzo and just brought him back, but Moody is younger, cheaper, more athletic, and was a STs dynamo in college. He also has more potential to be a starter or at least a serviceable backup at some point. I think he gets the nod. As of now, I don't see room for Skov, but he might make the PS. Given the STs contributions, I'd love to keep a fifth player at this spot once Bowman returns, but it would have to come at the expense of Lynch or one of the safeties, probably.

CB - 5
Tramaine Brock, Chris Culliver, Chris Cook, Darryl Morris, Dontae Johnson (Keith Reaser, IR)
As of now, I can't see Kenneth Acker making the squad, though he has a decent shot. CB seems as good a position as any to go heavy at, as no one is a proven commodity. But I list Ward as a safety, and expect him to play a lot of CB, so it's almost like I'm keeping six. I wouldn't be surprised to see us try to add a vet after cuts, either.

S - 6
Eric Reid, Antoine Bethea, Jimmie Ward, Craig Dahl, CJ Spillman, Bubba Ventrone
I went heavy here for a couple reasons. First, I expect Ward to effectively be playing CB. I initially had Dahl as a cut, but if we lose one of the starting safeties, Dahl would be first off the bench. Though if Morris continues to impress out of the slot, we could see him take over at nickel and Ward play safety, in which case Dahl could be in serious trouble. Second, this position has two of our STs stalwarts in Spillman and Ventrone.

ST - 3
Andy Reid, Phil Dawson, Kevin McDermott
No mystery here.

PS - 8
QB Kory Faulkner - he needs some grooming, but he's got size, athleticism, and Harbaugh seems to like him.
OT Carter Bykowski - big, physical guy who could potentially play all four exterior OL positions.
DT Caleb Ramsey - he's a huge injury risk, but if healthy, he's got the potential to be very good.
CB Kenneth Acker - a CB with size, as Culliver and Cook are FAs next year.
LB Shayne Skov - I think there's a decent chance he gets picked up, but he went undrafted so there's a chance he winds up here.
TE Kevin Greene - a bit of a surprise here, but he's got great physical tools and has a shot to give us another deep threat at TE when/if Vernon leaves in a couple years.
S James McCray - he's got good SS size, apparently pretty good ball skills, and might offer something on STs in the future, if nothing else.
DT Lawrence Okoye - why not? IF he shows progress at DL, give him another year of regular practice to put it all together. I booted WR Chuck Jacobs to make room for Okoye; I like Jacobs, but he's highly unlikely to be a special player. The same is certainly true of Okoye, but the potential is tantalizing.

Honestly, the biggest questions will probably come as our players start to return from injury/suspension. This initial roster wasn't TOO hard, though I'm sure some will disagree with me in some spots.
Not bad and I wonder why nobody who is debating this has posted a roster. I had a good joke about the Andy Reid as the P but I will let it go. I feel that the 9ers will not carry 6 RBs, LMJ will be let go over ML I hope. I will have to wait for the training camp and a couple of pre season games to see what the roster might be. Thumbs up for this early prediction!:suds:

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Too many WRs... need to cut Lloyd IMO.

I could see Dobbs being the odd man out, it would suck but he's had his chances IMO.

I'm still uneasy of the CBs skills/experience ATM.... hopefully this group can shine.

I think Skuta definitely makes it, particularly given Aldon's legal troubles. I've got Moody on the roster as well, for STs and potential at ILB. I have trouble seeing Dobbs make it unless he beats out TJE, though I wouldn't be too surprised if Williams starts the year on the PUP. I agree on Lloyd. Barring injury, there just isn't a spot for him.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Skuta definitely makes it, particularly given Aldon's legal troubles. I've got Moody on the roster as well, for STs and potential at ILB. I have trouble seeing Dobbs make it unless he beats out TJE, though I wouldn't be too surprised if Williams starts the year on the PUP. I agree on Lloyd. Barring injury, there just isn't a spot for him.

Yea, I was surprised not to see Skuta in it... but looking at the depth... someone got to give and if Lynch is suppose to be all about potential, I can see why he's on board.... but idk...

OLBs - Smith, Brooks, Lemonade, Lynch
ILBS - Willis, Borland, Whilhoite (Bowman either in IR or IR designated for return)

Its Lynch or Skuta... Skuta may get a nod due to STs experience as well. I don't think Moody is making it, if so, over who? unless we're offing someone else from another group.

TJE has earned his keep IMO. He came through n through for his role. Respect.

Williams on PUP? what happened here...

Yea, Lloyd is just... a goner IMO... he doesn't really offer a dimension this team needs...(until I start seeing our WR corps in action, a lot WRs are similar in style with a few exceptions)

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yea, I was surprised not to see Skuta in it... but looking at the depth... someone got to give and if Lynch is suppose to be all about potential, I can see why he's on board.... but idk...

OLBs - Smith, Brooks, Lemonade, Lynch
ILBS - Willis, Borland, Whilhoite (Bowman either in IR or IR designated for return)

Its Lynch or Skuta... Skuta may get a nod due to STs experience as well. I don't think Moody is making it, if so, over who? unless we're offing someone else from another group.

TJE has earned his keep IMO. He came through n through for his role. Respect.

Williams on PUP? what happened here...

Yea, Lloyd is just... a goner IMO... he doesn't really offer a dimension this team needs...(until I start seeing our WR corps in action, a lot WRs are similar in style with a few exceptions)

Williams has had all sorts of complications (four surgeries) and hasn't been practicing yet. Especially given the depth, I think there's a good chance we save him until he's healthy.

I think it's pretty easy to get Moody and Skuta on the roster. Here's my quick breakdown, and I'm even leaving one spot open:

Offense (23)
QB (2): Kap and Gabbert
RB (5): Gore, LMJ, Hyde, Lattimore, Miller
TE (3): V. Davis, McDonald, Carrier
WR (5): Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Patton, Ellington
OL (8): Staley, Iupati, Kilgore, Boone (we'll see...), A. Davis, M. Martin, Looney, J. Martin

Defense (27)
DL (7): J. Smith, Dorsey, McDonald, Carradine, TJE, Dial, Williams (if healthy, Dobbs if not)
OLB (5): A. Smith, Brooks, Lemonier, Skuta, Lynch
ILB (4): Willis, Wilhoite, Borland, Moody (Bowman on PUP)
CB (5): Brock, Culliver, Cook, Cox/Morris (I prefer Morris, but we'll see), Johnson
S (5): Reid, Bethea, Ward, Spillman, Ventrone

STs (3)
Not even going to list

That's 52 guys. That leaves a spot open for one of the following: Dahl, whoever loses the Cox/Morris battle or Acker, Dobbs, Lloyd, or even Hampton. Just didn't want to take a firm stand at the moment.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
And it wouldn't shock me to see Lynch end up on the PS or the street.

JPurthe1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
First off, Williamson cannot count or likes to copy and paste. Proof reading is your friend when it comes to articles being published.

I see, one of Dial, Dobbs and/or Ramsey making it, if not all 3. Losing Ryan Seymour/Skuta/Osgood (STs) will be tough.

51 by my calculations but those last 3 spots will probably be based on versatility.

Offense (23)
QB (2): Kap and Gabbert
RB (5): Gore, LMJ, Hyde, Lattimore, Miller (Hampton?)
TE (3): V. Davis, McDonald, Carrier
WR (5): Crabtree, Boldin, Johnson, Patton, Ellington (Lloyd)
OL (8): Staley, Iupati, Kilgore, Boone, A. Davis, M. Martin, Looney, J. Martin (Seymour?)

Defense (25)
DL (7): J. Smith, Dorsey, McDonald, Carradine, TJE, Dial, Williams (Dobbs/Ramsey?)
OLB (4): A. Smith, Brooks, Lemonier, Skuta (Lynch?)
ILB (4): Willis, Wilhoite, Borland, Moody (Bowman on PUP)
CB (5): Brock, Culliver, Cook, Morris , Johnson (Cox/Acker?)
S (5): Reid, Bethea, Ward, Spillman, Ventrone (Dahl?)

STs (3)
Lee
Dawson
McDermott

PS is going to be tough, bye bye to some depth.

Ramsey
Seymour
Hampton
Acker
Lynch
Faulkner
Fonoti
Greene
McCray
Okoye
Purcell
Schmidt