• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roster Moves To Come

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What is it about Giants' second basemen?

Franchez

Mo-ped

:gaah:

A lower back issue cannot be a good thing.

We do have some 2b coming along: KT already with the Giants, and I am impressed with Austin Slater at Richmond, though he was a ways to go. Giants seem to have luck with AA players who jump up past AAA.

I hope :gaah: is better in a hurry.
And Arroyo, although he is still playing as SS. But he is the true gem of the system, IMHO, even if I dont rate him as my #1 just yet.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good question.. I don't know if they need to DFA anyone yet.

I am assuming Lollis goes back to Sac when Byrd arrives.

I would also predict that Carbonell would be the DFA. I am unsure of how much they have invested in him, but he has not worked out all that well. He did well in 20 games with San Jose last year. He bombed in the fall league. Bombed at Richmond. Has had a decent redo in San Jose. He's still relatively young at 24, but that's a little old for the Cal League.
Carbonell still has a bunch of options. He would be claimed in a second, I suspect. While he has lost quite a bit of luster, he is still a prospect.

LHG

Former Californian. Hesitant Tennessean.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see no immediate need for a DFA. Blackburn will not be added to the MLB roster this year, so no reason to add him before the off-season. I also do not expect Mac to be added this year either.

I dont see any easy DFAs, and none of the walking-wounded are 60-day worthy. Timmeh will NOT end his Giants career on the DL. Just wont happen. If Cain poops again, they may shut him down. Huddy was a remote possibility as well, but he has started a rehab, so he will be back.

Maybe Panik??? Yikes...
When you say that Blackburn and Williamson won't be added to the MLB roster, I assume you mean only during the regular season or do you think that neither will be protected in the off season. Since this is Blackburn's 5th season and Williamson's 4th season, both should be eligible for the Rule 5 draft.

As Stokes points out, Carbonell is the biggest disappointment of the 9 guys in the minors, but my personal thought is that no one (outside of maybe Lollis) will get dfa'd during the season. Just cannot see the Giants giving up on any of the pitchers yet. Hall and Law have both been mediocre but are both coming back from injuries. Black has been a little better but in San Jose and also coming back from injury. Gregorio has really underperformed too but is only 23. Broadway, Sanchez and Parker will most likely be called up Sept. 1st.

I don't see any obvious candidates at Sacramento, not on the 40 man roster, that are kicking down the door to SF. However, if Joaquin Arias gets a 2nd chance, someone has to be removed. I also assume that Hudson, Leake, Lincecum will be activate Sept 1st and Pagan and Pence shortly thereafter. Panik is the real unknown. Cain's last start has to keep the dl at bay at least two more starts.

What I don't know, because I haven't looked at the whole system, is how many guys will need to be protected from the Rule 5 and how many of them should be protected. Eight free agents makes a lot of room on the roster but the Giants do also tend to sign (or re-sign) their free agents fairly early in the off season.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do expect Mac and Blackburn to be added to the 40 in the off season for protection (I have never been super clear on who needs protection, so I will take your word for it that they are up).

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do expect Mac and Blackburn to be added to the 40 in the off season for protection (I have never been super clear on who needs protection, so I will take your word for it that they are up).
Its my understanding of the rules that a guy drafted out of high school is typically eligible after 5 seasons (depending on when the player signed) and a guy drafted out of college is typically eligible after 4 seasons (again, depending on when the player signed). I know the rules are more complicated than that so there may be a chance one or both won't need protection.

MarcoPolo

Huge member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its my understanding of the rules that a guy drafted out of high school is typically eligible after 5 seasons (depending on when the player signed) and a guy drafted out of college is typically eligible after 4 seasons (again, depending on when the player signed). I know the rules are more complicated than that so there may be a chance one or both won't need protection.

Close. It is *age* that determines when a player could be 'rule 5 drafted' if not on the 40-man. If signed at 18 (or younger) a player gets 5 years before becoming eligible, signed at 19 (or older) then he only gets 4 years. As an example, Bryce Harper was signed out of college at age 17 but would have had 5 years before needing to be added to the 40-man (yeah, as if 5 years were going to pass before he was in the majors)

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Close. It is *age* that determines when a player could be 'rule 5 drafted' if not on the 40-man. If signed at 18 (or younger) a player gets 5 years before becoming eligible, signed at 19 (or older) then he only gets 4 years. As an example, Bryce Harper was signed out of college at age 17 but would have had 5 years before needing to be added to the 40-man (yeah, as if 5 years were going to pass before he was in the majors)
Thanks for clearing that up. I think I had some of the old rules mixed up with the new ones. Didn't they used to make it dependent on high school versus college.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We need a button that notifies you, wherever you are, that we need your rule book to help us out.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Came across this article when looking up Broadway - San Francisco Giants Triple-A Options for September. No real surprises here, except the only two guys in Sacramento not on the 40 man roster the author mentions is Brandon Hicks and Everth Cabrera? Really? Sure, the article is six days old but they are probably the two worst hitting infielders on the team.

I find it surprising that there is no mention of Brett Bochy, who has pitched well in August or even Arias of Frandsen. Either of those last two, I think, would be more likely to get a call than Cabrera or Hicks. No mention of Mac Williamson either, who's been hitting well too. The infield, in my opinion, is no thinner than the outfield or the bullpen.

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any of those names would require a 40-man move, and I just dont see any of those coming. We are too thin in the infield to DFA EA.

Maybe they expose Gregorio???? (doubt it)

I would like to see them 60 Cain, but I really dont expect them to do that. They will not do that to Timmeh, either. I really think they want to get him one more home start before the end of the season.

LHG

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any of those names would require a 40-man move, and I just dont see any of those coming. We are too thin in the infield to DFA EA.

Maybe they expose Gregorio???? (doubt it)

I would like to see them 60 Cain, but I really dont expect them to do that. They will not do that to Timmeh, either. I really think they want to get him one more home start before the end of the season.
cal, I know that we've talked back and forth on this before, and you are right, there aren't really any obvious candidates to be removed from the 40 man roster to purchase another contract. If anyone gets dfa'd I think it would most likely be either Lollis, Law or Black. And none of those are close to an easy decision. I do think guys like Blackburn and Williamson (and anyone else who will need to be protected in the Rule 5 draft this December) will be purchased after free agents are declared in the offseason.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cain has been 15-day'd, and he expects to come back this season, so we can probably throw 60-day DL out the window.

If the Giants are desperate to call someone up, they'll probably DFA Lollis. They don't want to risk losing any of the live arms like Gregorio, Black or Law. EA is here to stay because of the injuries.