• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rosenthal: M's need free agents...but will find it hard to attract decent ones

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way I consider Morse again. Morales, no.
Choo versus Ellsbury, I say Choo.
I like Billy Butler, I did like Peter Borjious, but he's gone.

I would take Morse on a one year, incentive deal. He fell apart because of his wrist injury that was bothering more than he/M's let on. Remember what he did the first two weeks of the season when he was healthy.

Butler would be fine if a free agent, but to lose (players) to gain (him) just doesn't work for me when you could get a Napoli, Hart, or Loney w/o giving up anything and have about the same hitter.

I agree with Choo and no Morales unless deal is lower than expected.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since getting good offensive FA to come here is exceedingly difficult, any competent front office would see that trading for quality offensive position players that other teams HAVE developed is important.

Essential, really.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would have thought Beltre would end up in Seattle a few years back? Bavasi was an idiot for just about everything baseball, but he did sign Beltre and Sexson to big deals and they were both well sought after free agents at the time. And Safeco wasn't a hitting paradise then either. I really think the Safeco thing is about 3rd on the list of why hitters don't come here. 1st would be our management/losing with 2nd being travel distance and not a top desired place for young millionaires and their families wanting to come live at for a 4 or 5 years.

If hitters don't want to come here because of the park, then why aren't pitchers knocking down the door to come here and pitch? We should have the '71 Orioles Rotation Part 2.0 then. We can just have 4 aces trying to win Safeco style...2-1 every game then.

They have to break the bank on a couple stud free agents and win some games and you will never hear this stupid talk of Safeco driving away all the free agent hitters. Winning is a great equalizer. It makes bad things go away.

And for the record, Morales had better numbers across the board at home vs away. That is what happens when you bring in a professional hitter...he hits.

Other interesting stat: Both Felix and Iwakuma had better ERA's on the road then at home.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now I'm seeing that Napoli is one of the "big names" that the M's are trying to acquire.

I'm betting that by the end of 2014, he'll be considered one of the most overpaid/overvalued players during this offseason, primarily because of the success of the Red Sox. $12-14 million for 2-3 years and the loss of a top draft pick seems awfully steep for what he'd provide as an upgrade at 1B.

I wouldn't hate it, but I would worry that our moronic FO would just stop there and do nothing else of any substance this offseason with FA signings or trades other than shuffling garbage with other teams.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love getting Napoli. I think he has shown his ability to be a gamer and push others. He doesn't seem like a guy who allows teammates to settle for just being on the team. They need an ass kicker like that.

Now if this is a repeat of the Figgins and nothing else move, then I am with you. He is a big part of a building, but he alone means little other than as a mentor to the kids.

Add:
Napoli
Hart
Kurt Suzuki
Choo
Find a legit RH OF
A true #2 SP
LH bullpen arm
Closer

Now we can see .500 again.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Napoli's primary value would be as a gamer/motivator/mentor.

For $12-14 million/year and loss of a first round draft pick, though....

But as the article says, the M's are desperate.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at a legit RH OF bat, the guy that would be a great fit would be Carlos Gomez from Milw. He is a bit crazy at times, but he is also an incredible athlete that would fit CF nicely is Seattle. Not sure what it would take to get him, but maybe a group including Saunders, Ramirez, and Pyke? Maybe Montero instead since they like the juicers.

I would even do Franklin/Ackley and Ramirez and Saunders.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
M's don't lose a 1st round pick because of their crappy record...hey there is the silver lining.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer Napoli on a 3 year deal than Morales. I just think he is a better clubhouse guy as well as a grinder type that makes others better.

I know you and I would add to Cano, but would M's management? That is the question.

Cano will get a kings ransom no matter who he signs with.

The Mariners would have to pay a premium just to get him to come here. I think it would take the Mariners at least an extra 10% (On top of what the Yankees and or Dodgers offer) to get Cano to come here, if even that.

I'm not sure what the Yankees are offering but say it is $25m per. It would take the Mariners probably $28m per to get him here.

Not willing to pay that with the current Mariners payroll. We would have way too much of our payroll tied up in just two players. If the Mariners wanted to go to a $130m payroll I think it could work but otherwise no thanks Cano. Even then you would have Felix and Cano taking up around 40% of payroll.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at a legit RH OF bat, the guy that would be a great fit would be Carlos Gomez from Milw. He is a bit crazy at times, but he is also an incredible athlete that would fit CF nicely is Seattle. Not sure what it would take to get him, but maybe a group including Saunders, Ramirez, and Pyke? Maybe Montero instead since they like the juicers.

I would even do Franklin/Ackley and Ramirez and Saunders.

I'm not sure if I'd go after Gomez. He is a great athlete but he had a 8.4 WAR in 2013. Before that he never had a WAR above 2.3 and his combined career WAR was 7.3. Right now his value is at its peak.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cano will get a kings ransom no matter who he signs with.

The Mariners would have to pay a premium just to get him to come here. I think it would take the Mariners at least an extra 10% (On top of what the Yankees and or Dodgers offer) to get Cano to come here, if even that.

I'm not sure what the Yankees are offering but say it is $25m per. It would take the Mariners probably $28m per to get him here.

Not willing to pay that with the current Mariners payroll. We would have way too much of our payroll tied up in just two players. If the Mariners wanted to go to a $130m payroll I think it could work but otherwise no thanks Cano. Even then you would have Felix and Cano taking up around 40% of payroll.

Well they are raising payroll and it's worth mentioning that they won't divulge numbers either (for competitive reasons) from what I heard. This is what Lincoln has said (his word means squat though). I'm starting to read more and more that M's might be a dark horse for Cano. Infact I just read an article about it that was posted the same time I started mentioning Cano (which is odd or good guessing) sorry for the lack of links to back up what I'm saying but a google search should suffice.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the more important thing I have read about Cano is that he wouldn't go to Seattle. The losing and the distance away from home won't be worth anything more than they will pay him. It is fun to debate, but he has too big of an ego to come here.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure if I'd go after Gomez. He is a great athlete but he had a 8.4 WAR in 2013. Before that he never had a WAR above 2.3 and his combined career WAR was 7.3. Right now his value is at its peak.

I hear ya, but a guy has to break out at some point. Maybe he was a one year wonder, but could we ever trade for an established guy with those numbers? Doubt it so we are at a point where we have to overpay and take chances.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe OF help is on its way after all:

Chris Cotillo of MLB Daily Dish reports that the Rangers and Mariners have shown interest in free agent Brent Lillibridge.

The 30-year-old utility man was dreadful in 20 games between the Cubs and Yankees in 2013, slashing a putrid .119/.133/.136 with five RBI and a 17/1 K/BB ratio in 59 at-bats. While his versatility makes him a nice bench option, he may have to settle for a minor league deal.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well they are raising payroll and it's worth mentioning that they won't divulge numbers either (for competitive reasons) from what I heard. This is what Lincoln has said (his word means squat though). I'm starting to read more and more that M's might be a dark horse for Cano. Infact I just read an article about it that was posted the same time I started mentioning Cano (which is odd or good guessing) sorry for the lack of links to back up what I'm saying but a google search should suffice.

They said they were raising payroll last year too. I believe they said that the year before that as well.

I think the more important thing I have read about Cano is that he wouldn't go to Seattle. The losing and the distance away from home won't be worth anything more than they will pay him. It is fun to debate, but he has too big of an ego to come here.

I have not heard that but it does not surprise me. If I were him and I did not have any connections to this city, I would not want to come here either.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hear ya, but a guy has to break out at some point. Maybe he was a one year wonder, but could we ever trade for an established guy with those numbers? Doubt it so we are at a point where we have to overpay and take chances.

I suppose. I just feel like with our luck he would just be a one year wonder and revert to a 2 WAR player when we had traded for him under the assumption he was at least a 5 WAR player.

The 30-year-old utility man was dreadful in 20 games between the Cubs and Yankees in 2013, slashing a putrid .119/.133/.136 with five RBI and a 17/1 K/BB ratio in 59 at-bats. While his versatility makes him a nice bench option, he may have to settle for a minor league deal.

Sounds like he would fit right in here.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would be in Cano's best interest to NOT say anything negative about Seattle. I would like to know where that comment came from? If anything he can use us to get even more $, since we've been used this way before. Texas isn't going to need him unless they flip Profar to the Rays. Tigers aren't going to need him with Kinsler. Angels aren't going to sign him. I'm trying to figure out exactly where Cano will go if New York decides he's too rich for their blood. I mean Dodgers? They signed Alexander Guerrero to play 2B.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets would have interest. Never count out Washington making a big move to keep them relevant. Cubs wouldn't shock me either. My dark horse, and it is a very dark horse, would be KC. Do they have the balls to make that next big step? Doubt it, but it would be an interesting move on their part.

As far as it being in Cano's best interest in using Seattle as bargaining chip, I think someone would have to actually buy that theory of him coming here and I just don't think anyone in baseball really buys that.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mets would have interest. Never count out Washington making a big move to keep them relevant. Cubs wouldn't shock me either. My dark horse, and it is a very dark horse, would be KC. Do they have the balls to make that next big step? Doubt it, but it would be an interesting move on their part.

As far as it being in Cano's best interest in using Seattle as bargaining chip, I think someone would have to actually buy that theory of him coming here and I just don't think anyone in baseball really buys that.

I can't see it. For the obvious reasons but also because that cities fans hates him for keeping Billy Butler out of the home run derby. I'm sure the fans would forget about that with the prospect of having a star of his caliber play for them, but it is just another reason why KC would be unlikely to go after him.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not advocating the M's going after Cano but eventually they are going to have to massively over pay for a few free agents. You have to over pay to make money and eventually not have to overpay. The M's use to spend a ton of money and thats the late 90-2003 team were made up of guys who took lesser money to be in Seattle.

I'd like Cano because
A. He is proven
B. Him coming in opens up plenty of trade possibilities that do not involve Walker. With a Cano, it is a time that they can open up discussions with dealing Seager as he is a sell high guy with this type of organization because when it comes to contract time he is going to be worth way more to the Mariners than any other team.