• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Rookie WRs performing well this year (except Paul Richardson)

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are we just bad at drafting WRs or does our system hold back their production?

the 2014 WR class has perform extremely well

Mike Evans - 794 yards 7 tds
Jordan Matthews - 451 yards 5 tds
Brandin Cooks - 550 yards 4 total tds (3 rec + 1 rush)
Odell Beckham Jr - 443 yards 3 tds (156, 108 and 93 yds in his previous 3 games)
Kelvin Benjamin - 768 yds 8 tds
Allen Robinson - 608 yds 2 tds
Martavis Bryant - 310 yds 6 tds (in only 4 games)
John Brown - 399 yds 5 tds (a couple huge game winning tds)

We needed a big WR but instead we went for a short wr with game breaking speed...yet Paul Richardson is averaging 7.2 yards per catch.

Mike Evans (6'5) - 1st round 7th pick
Jordan Matthews (6'3) - 2nd round 42nd pick
Kelvin Benjamin (6'5) - 1st round 28th pick
Allen Robinson (6'2) - 2nd round 61st pick
Martavis Bryant (6'4) - 4th round 118th pick

We could have had any of these WRs with the exception of Mike Evans. I was a big fan of Jordan Matthews and Martavis Bryant as value picks and they've shown a lot of big play ability this year. Allen Robinson I didn't feel too strong about but has been very productive in his role. Kelvin Benjamin was one I was completely wrong about. Now I really wish we would have traded up a few spots to nab him. Imagine Russell having that big target on offense. Our red zone offense would be much more efficient.

What is everyone's thoughts on Paul Richardson so far? Are we using him wrong or is he just not good enough/ready yet to produce.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of it matters if we have scrubs on the ol and a mental midget calling the plays. I am convinced our we woes vanish if we have an ol that can maintain a pocket. Wilson never has more than half a second to plant his feet and go through his reads. We is a position wholly dependent on the rest of the team. Its why Tate can leave and go catch 100 passes for 1200 yards.

dkmightyhammer

Livin' la vida loca
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of it matters if we have scrubs on the ol and a mental midget calling the plays. I am convinced our we woes vanish if we have an ol that can maintain a pocket. Wilson never has more than half a second to plant his feet and go through his reads. We is a position wholly dependent on the rest of the team. Its why Tate can leave and go catch 100 passes for 1200 yards.

Our O-line could use an upgrade. No question about that. But there were lots of times in the second half today that Wilson had plenty of time, even a ridiculous amount of time sometimes, and he still couldn't find an open receiver. Our WR corps is bad. Baldwin does his best but he's not a number one guy, not even really a number two guy. Kearse, Lockette, Richardson are OK and might get better but for now they have a low ability for creating separation. I know we haven't had luck with free agents but that doesn't mean it's impossible to get a good player that way. We recently passed on Vincent Jackson and he's an example of a guy we could have really used. Now the trade deadline is over so we're stuck with what we have. I just hope they can improve over the next couple weeks. I personally see our WR's as this teams weakest link. RW has nobody to throw too most of the time.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ol>wr. Take the best guard round one then the best center round 2. Should be doable since we will likely be picking in the middle.

Let Avril go and use the money he would have gotten to go get a nasty DT like suh or the next best available.

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our O-line could use an upgrade. No question about that. But there were lots of times in the second half today that Wilson had plenty of time, even a ridiculous amount of time sometimes, and he still couldn't find an open receiver. Our WR corps is bad. Baldwin does his best but he's not a number one guy, not even really a number two guy. Kearse, Lockette, Richardson are OK and might get better but for now they have a low ability for creating separation. I know we haven't had luck with free agents but that doesn't mean it's impossible to get a good player that way. We recently passed on Vincent Jackson and he's an example of a guy we could have really used. Now the trade deadline is over so we're stuck with what we have. I just hope they can improve over the next couple weeks. I personally see our WR's as this teams weakest link. RW has nobody to throw too most of the time.

I think it's a combination of things. The OL, the WR core, and Russell not being at his absolute sharpest in recent weeks

I am a huge Russell Wilson supporter and feel like he has all the attributes to be our franchise quarterback for the next decade or so...but as a drop back pocket passer he certainly has his limitations

Russell is accurate statistically but not always accurate on certain throws. It's little things like ball placement and anticipation that go a long way. For example on slant passes Russell is usually off even when he completes the pass. Today on a slant pass to Paul Richardson he makes the completion but throws it low and a little behind him. If Russell hits him on stride he gets the first down and we probably don't settle for a fg on that drive.

Russell's height is also a factor in his limitations as a pocket passer. In certain situations where the pocket breaks down, a quarterback that is 6'3 or 6'5 would be able to stand tall or simply step up and still make the throw. With Russell unfortunately he usually has to scramble out or do his patent spin move (that used to work in 2012 but the league has recognized that as one of Russell's main tendencies).

geezer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also a fan of RW. I think about how bad the Harvin trade has screwed up this team. 3 picks and losing Tate. Not sure if Tate would have stayed. There might be unsaid issues there. But maybe we could've kept Bryant and Clemons. A real bad trade like that can be felt for some time.

I don't know why our receivers have so much difficulty getting separation. I can't see the entire field so not even sure that is the problem. They are not total scrubs. They looked like world beaters in the superbowl. Was Harvin and Tate that big of a ruse to fool the defense? I don't want to see them waste a high pick on a WR. I want those picks for depth in the O and D lines.
With Pete we will be a running team first and throwing will always be a second option.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need more size at the receiver position... We have a lot of fast shorter guy's ... WE need a couple bigger targets in a BIG way.... All our receivers are the same size as opposing DB's ... I"m really surprised Pete didn't address that in the offseason.... He likes bigger receivers...

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree we need a big target, but OL is a bigger priority.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No receiver is putting up big numbers with the Seahawks the way the offense is runned right now. First off a run first offense, next the offensive calls for slow developing vertical plays down field or bubble screens. With the OL not being able to pass block very well the down field stuff only happens if RW is able to buy time and then it tough for a QB to locate his target when your running like hell, as for the bubble crap, teams have scouted that out and are looking for it.