• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ronde Barber HOFer?

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are his Final Stats

16 Years
241 Games (Most in Bucs History)
215 Consecutive Games Started (3rd Longest Streak in NFL history, 223, 229)(Longest Ever by a Defensive player)
1260 Tackles (208 Assists)
208 Passes Defended
28 Sacks
47 Interceptions
16 Forced Fumbles
12 Defensive TDs (13 is NFL record)
1 Safety
5 Pro Bowls
3 1st Team All Pro Selections
Only CB in NFL history to record over 20 sacks (28) and 20 INTs (47).

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that Ronde was a system player. His skillset wouldn't have fit many defensive schemes. I think he was very good but not great. I wouldn't put him in the HOF but I can understand why others would.

dblakejr7

Preacher Man
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he is on the bubble..it would be whom he was nominated with .. since they only pick so many each year

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even close.

USCDoom

Death On Black Wings
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I believe that Ronde was a system player. His skillset wouldn't have fit many defensive schemes. I think he was very good but not great. I wouldn't put him in the HOF but I can understand why others would.

Deion Sanders was a System CB, he could have never played in Tampa Defense and gotten 1,000 tackles and 28 sacks.

All Deion can could is Cover ONE person. Barber paying in the Slot in a Zone Defense had to cover 2 to 3 people.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Deion Sanders was a System CB, he could have never played in Tampa Defense and gotten 1,000 tackles and 28 sacks.

All Deion can could is Cover ONE person. Barber paying in the Slot in a Zone Defense had to cover 2 to 3 people.

Deion was responsible for staying in a receiver's hip pocket when only one of them knows where the receiver is going. Ronde is responsible for an area of the field. Saying he is responsible for up to 3 guys is kind of laying on the mustard. Most people find zones easier to run and more effective when they are run well which is why the NBA banned them for a while and still only allow limited zone.

Deion Sanders may be the best cover corner to ever play the game. When I am talking the honor of being named to a professional sports hall of fame I'm trying to find the best of the best. It's not the Hall of Pretty Damn Good, it's for greatness. I ask myself does this guy stack up to the all time greats? Rod Woodson, Darrell Green, Sanders? No, he's certainly not in their class. So I ask myself was this guy top 5 at his position during his career? No, I would have never considered him top 5 during his career, not even at his best. He put up decent numbers but if I'm building a team and it's not the Tampa 2 my D is running I'm concerned about having Barber, just like the other 31 NFL teams when he was a free agent. He's not in the same league as a Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson or Darrell Revis, some of the best CBs of his time. So then I look at the numbers.

16 Years
241 Games (Most in Bucs History)
215 Consecutive Games Started (3rd Longest Streak in NFL history, 223, 229)(Longest Ever by a Defensive player)
1260 Tackles (208 Assists)
208 Passes Defended
28 Sacks
47 Interceptions
16 Forced Fumbles
12 Defensive TDs (13 is NFL record)
1 Safety
5 Pro Bowls
3 1st Team All Pro Selections
Only CB in NFL history to record over 20 sacks (28) and 20 INTs (47).

They look pretty impressive on the surface. Let me take that back, they are pretty impressive. 47 INTs over 16 years equals just under THREE picks a year. HOF numbers? Barber was known for his sacks. 28 BIG sacks over 16 years equals 1.75 sacks per year. It's not like he was a DE but HOF numbers? Is 13 passes defended per year really HOF numbers? 5 Pro Bowls over this illustrious SIXTEEN YEAR career? The ONLY number I see here that says HOF to me is the defensive TDs. Oh, and the games played. He played a lot of games, hardly missing a game, hardly missing a snap.......and these are the numbers he puts up!!! Unlike his arrogant, obnoxious brother, I actually like Ronde but I think the idea of putting a guy with those numbers over 16 years in the hall is absurd.