• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roman leaves for McMurry State

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
logo.png

Local
U.S
World
Business
Sports
Entertainment
Health
Living
Travel
Opinions

A's
Giants
49ers
Raiders
Kings
Warriors
Sharks
Cal
Stanford
UC Davis
More

Sports / NFL
49ers' offensive coordinator accepts college head coaching job

By Rashaun D. Woods
April 1, 2014 at 6:08 AM

roman.png
Greg Roman has served as the offensive coordinator for the San Francisco 49ers since 2011.
SANTA CLARA - The San Francisco 49ers will reportedly need to start looking at replacing offensive coordinator Greg Roman.
According to a source close to Roman's family, he is accepting the head coaching position at McMurry University and will leave the team this week in order to prepare the War Hawks for their upcoming season.
McMurry is a private, Methodist, Division III university in Abilene, Texas. While neither Roman nor the 49ers could be reached for comment, sources close to the 49ers offensive coordinator say he was becoming increasingly frustrated of being passed over for head coaching jobs due to his success as the play caller. Teams with head coaching vacancies would often pass on Roman since the 49ers have had deep playoff runs during his tenure in San Francisco. Roman may be looking to turn McMurry into a powerhouse and turn that job into a more prominent head coaching job.
Jim Harbaugh, Roman's mentor, followed a similar path from the University of San Diego to Stanford and then to the 49ers. While unconventional, there is some logic to this move.
There is no word on who the 49ers have lined up as a replacement or if Roman will take other 49ers assistants with him to McMurry. The most likely replacement would be special teams assistant Tracy Smith, who the team has always had confidence in.
Just last week, Roman briefly made the news while at a charity event. A Bay Area reporter asked if he was disappointed that he had been passed over so many times for NFL and college head coaching jobs. Roman became irritated, grabbing the reporter's recording device and throwing it into a nearby hedge. It took the reporter four hours to locate the device while Roman stood there laughing at the situation.
Roman has served as the 49ers' offensive coordinator since 2011. He had previously been a coach under Jim Harbaugh's staff at Stanford from 2009 to 2010.
Roman has previously been a coach with the Carolina Panthers, Houston Texans, Baltimore Ravens, Holy Spirit High School Spartans and Alex D. Smith Junior High School in New Jersey. He graduated from Holy Spirit High School in Absecon, New Jersey and John Carroll University.

Show Comments

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
49ers' offensive coordinator accepts college head coaching job

By Rashaun D. Woods
April 1, 2014 at 6:08 AM

A blessing in disguise just like Culliver's injury last year that eventually allowed a new Tramaine Brock to get playing time.

EDIT: Author Rashaun Woods????

Last edited by a moderator:

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A blessing in disguise just like Culliver's injury last year that eventually allowed a new Tramaine Brock to get playing time.

Not really a blessing......An April Fool's joke :)

49er4life1979

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew something was suspicious when I didn't see BOB11's name next to the breaking news :clap:

I could've done one better and said something along the lines of that we signed DeSean Jackson to a blockbuster deal hahah.

Yadahell

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Alex D. Smith Junior High School in New Jersey"

That's my alma mater.

TheNinerMind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
That was a good one, actually. More believable than the Andre Johnson story. I read the headline, hurriedly clicked the link, and went "hold on, what day is it?"

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow this is a little shocking this late into the offseason. This might hurt a little but it might also help.

NOT

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Too bad its not true. Gore up the gut for no gain on every first down is really getting old.

Last edited by a moderator:

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too bad its not true. Gore up the gut for no gain on every first down is really getting old.

My main negative towards Roman is his goal line offense. We need to score more. We need to have better percentage plays. We need smarter plays. I hate when we run the ball and gets us to the 10 and then he runs 3 straight pass plays and 2 of them are somewhat jump balls. makes no sense.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My main negative towards Roman is his goal line offense. We need to score more. We need to have better percentage plays. We need smarter plays. I hate when we run the ball and gets us to the 10 and then he runs 3 straight pass plays and 2 of them are somewhat jump balls. makes no sense.

at this point, tend to think he does this because Kaep is limited? it ain't ALL on Kaep, but if he can't throw well in the RZ, you shouldn't force certain pass plays. cause worse than a FG, is a turnover.

I'd think you'd need even more quicker decision making, and even more accuracy when passing in the RZ? next, if you throw over the middle, the QB had better be able to see a certain LB dropping, and what the Safety is doing. so does Kaep has enough field vision in the RZ, where things are tighter?

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Those are on Kaepernick. He is scared to death to throw the ball down there with it being so crowded unless he can throw it way outside to Crabtree where he doesn't have to read any coverage.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The April Fools joke is really on the 9ers for still having Roman as our OC, JMO.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The April Fools joke is really on the 9ers for still having Roman as our OC, JMO.

I wouldn't have minded an early playoff exit if it meant Roman would be able to interview for head coaching jobs.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at this point, tend to think he does this because Kaep is limited? it ain't ALL on Kaep, but if he can't throw well in the RZ, you shouldn't force certain pass plays. cause worse than a FG, is a turnover.

I'd think you'd need even more quicker decision making, and even more accuracy when passing in the RZ? next, if you throw over the middle, the QB had better be able to see a certain LB dropping, and what the Safety is doing. so does Kaep has enough field vision in the RZ, where things are tighter?

I disagree with this just because Kap really doesn't throw Ints in the Redzone. The only one that really comes to mind is the Seattle game. Also we don't need to throw it to score. We can run it with either Gore or Kap. My main concern is the play calling, not the players running the play.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I disagree with this just because Kap really doesn't throw Ints in the Redzone. The only one that really comes to mind is the Seattle game. Also we don't need to throw it to score. We can run it with either Gore or Kap. My main concern is the play calling, not the players running the play.

Avoiding INTs doesn't mean he isn't limited. His completion percentage inside ten is 46.7. He may not be throwing many INTs, but he isn't throwing many completions, either. That's a big reason why we stall in the red zone. You can point at the playcalling all day - and rightfully so in many cases - but Colin still isn't getting it done the way he needs to.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I knew this was a joke when I saw it was written "By Rashaun D. Woods".

Nice one, though. I definitely chuckled at the part where he throws the tape recorder into the bushes. :laugh3: