• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roland Garros prediction thread

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's start this. Does anyone think Nadal will lose early? We have some Doderling clones who can hit him off the court on clay now.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Rafa will win if he gets to the final against anybody but Nole.

I think Serena will win as long as she doesn't get hurt.

bksballer89

Most Popular Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 109,565.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rafa won't make it to the SF. You wanted bold right?

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that Fed will get knocked out early. Rafa is gaining some momentum in the clay swing, but Novak is unstoppable. Fed's momentum was disrupted with the twins otherwise he was doing great building it up on clay. Djoker's hand injury is not as bad as I thought (he beat Rafa on clay again). I don't think surface is a matter for Djoker vs Rafa. He is in Nadal's head big time. Rafa looks helpless as a mouse. This is worse than Fed against Rafa. Rafa was able to build up his "GOATness h2h" vs Fed only through his buildup of clay victories won early on in their career and by avoiding finals against Fed on other surfaces where Fed would have beaten him. Same against Nole, Rafa built up his h2h when Nole hadn't hit his stride. Now that he has and Nadal is on the downward swing Nole is catching up and will ultimately surpass Rafa in the h2h.

Clay exposes you as a player and pro. You can have fluke wins on grass and hardcourts if you are suddenly hot (like Roddick won the USO and Pat Cash won Wimby). On clay you have nowhere to hide and your skills are brought to light and in the open for everyone to see. That is why I think Federer is the greatest, because of his clay prowess during Nadal's clay era (he was the second best only to Nadal), and because at the same time he shone brighter than anyone in the history of the game on the other three surfaces combined.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sharapova and Fed both win.

img_pod_sharapova-roland-garros-100612pod.jpg

Roger_Federer_FrenchOpen2009_APphoto_MichelEuler.jpg

stamp2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, HS, I wouldn't be surprised if Fed got knocked out early, either. We can always hope, though!

Rafa is just different on Paris clay when it's best of 5. Throw the rest of his results right out the window, other than maybe the loss to Nole.

If they meet in the final, I think Nole will at least take it to 5.

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sharapova and Fed both win.

img_pod_sharapova-roland-garros-100612pod.jpg

Roger_Federer_FrenchOpen2009_APphoto_MichelEuler.jpg

stamp2.jpg

I am not in the prediction business, but come on. You know better than that with that Sharapova prediction. She would fold like a cheap suit if she ever gets to meet Serena.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quarters:
Nadal over Dimitrov in 5
Murray over Fognini in 3
Federer over Robredo in 4
Nishikori over Djokovic in 4

Semis:
Nadal over Murray in 3
Federer over Nishikori in 5

Finals:
Nadal over Federer in 4

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not in the prediction business, but come on. You know better than that with that Sharapova prediction. She would fold like a cheap suit if she ever gets to meet Serena.

Can't you let a brotha have a dream? Of course I don't really believe this will happen but I can dream can't I?

Liberal Icon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't you let a brotha have a dream? Of course I don't really believe this will happen but I can dream can't I?

:lol: Go ahead and dream on. Do not be silly, not that dream of prediction. I mean the one that you were able to pull down her pants. Heheeeheeeeee.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: Go ahead and dream on. Do not be silly, not that dream of prediction. I mean the one that you were able to pull down her pants. Heheeeheeeeee.

Lol, gives new meaning to "Grand Slam."

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MEN's Draw:

Nadal's Quarter:

Nadal - Haas 4th round: As a Haas fan, I hope he makes it to the 4th round. I don't think Haas can grind anymore, so I'll say Nadal in 3, but I hope Haas can make it a good match.

Actually, I do remember some long entertaining rallies between Haas and Isner last year at the FO, so maybe Haas can still grind a little.

Nadal-Ferrer QF
: Ferrer has had a recent successful match against Nadal, but this is the FO, and a best of 5. Ferrer will probably lose in 3.

Wawrinka's Quarter (aka Wow-rinka):

Wawrinka-Feliciano Lopez 3rd round: This could be a good test for Wawrinka. He will have to play at a high level to win. Wawrinka in 4.

Wawrinka-Monfils 4th round
: Monfils has not had a good year, but I hope he makes it to the 4th round. A Wawrinka-Monfils 4th round match could be the match of the tournament. Wawrinka in 4.

Monfils better hope he doesn't lose to Fognini again in an earlier round.

Gasquet-Tomic 1st round
: This could be the match of the 1st round. Gasquet's style is better on this surface, but he lacks some consistency. Tomic can usually beat players he's better than at majors. But he's also coming off injury about a month ago. I'll go with the healthier player, Gasquet in 3.

Gasquet-Verdasco 3rd round: I don't trust Gasquet in consecutive matches against tough opponents (even if I felt Tomic might not be good because of injuries).

It's hard to trust Verdasco too. LOL.

Verdasco in 4.

Murray-Verdasco 4th round
: Despite not having much history of doing this at the FO (beating a good player easily), I'm going to say Murray is going to rout Verdasco.

Murray-Wawrinka QF: Ok, maybe THIS will be the match of the tourney. Haha. I want to see both win, but I want Wawrinka to continue to have a good year, since he doesn't do this that often. So I'll pick Wawrinka in 5.

Federer's Quarter:

Isner-Berdych 4th round: The past 3 years, Isner has played 5 set matches at the FO, and have lost most of them.

I'll be optimistic and say he beats Berdych, even though Berdych is better on paper.

Isner in 5.

Federer-Isner QF: Asking Isner to win two tough opponents in a row is a lot. He doesn't have the stamina. Federer in 4.

Djokovic's Quarter
:

Djokovic-Tsonga 4th round: Djokovic's movement is way too good. Tsonga's best chance is on grass. Djokovic in 3.

Djokovic-Simon QF: Not sure if Simon can win this many matches. They've also never played at a major before. Simon will give him one tough set, but Djokovic in 3.

Nadal-Wawrinka SF: This will be interesting, since this is on clay, and Wawrinka will have to hit extra balls. In the past, this has been a blowout. And Nadal still has a great H2H, despite the AO. Can Wawrinka make this competive?

I wouldn't be surprised if Nadal wins in 3, but I'll be optimistic for a good match and say Nadal in 4.

Federer-Djokovic SF: The odds don't favor it, but I hope this is a repeat of the 2011 FO. I'll pick that, just because. Federer in 4.

Nadal-Federer Finals
: If this were Wimbledon, the USO, or AO, I'd pick Nadal. But I'm sick of FED losing to Nadal here. I know it's a bad matchup. But I don't want him to keep losing to the same guy here. So out of the hope that he can beat Nadal once at the FO, I'll pick FED.

FED's best chance is to make this a short match. FED in 4.

Yes, it's very hard to even win 2 sets off of Nadal, as he's only played one 5 set match at the FO. Ever. (Isner)

Women's Draw:

Serena's Quarter:

Serena-Venus 3rd round: I don't want to see Venus get blown out. Serena in 3, with at least 2 good sets. I'm hoping for the best.

Stosur-Sharapova 4th round: Stosur has not been good since 2013. Sharapova in 2.

Sharapova-Serena QF
: Serena in 2.

Radwanska's Quarter
: Radwanska is the highest seed here. But I think Schiavone can win this quarter. She hasn't been good since 2013, but call it a flashback tourney. I'll make a BOLD Prediction here.

Halep's Quarter
: Halep is the highest seed here, but I'll take a gamble on Ivanovic that she can win this quarter. For the same reasons as Schiavone.

Li's Quarter: Not a lot of names I recognize. I'll pick her to win this quarter. She can be upset though, the Women's game is more prone to lower seeds winning IMO.

Serena-Schiavone SF: If Schiavone plays her best, this is a great match. However, Schiavone doesn't have the stamina. Serena in 2.

Ivanovic-Li SF
: Ivanovic's style is better on clay. Li is the better player. Ivanovic doesn't have the offense of Li. I don't like Li's topspin forehand as much as her flatter shots from a year ago. I'll say that gets her in trouble with Ivanovic, and prolongs rallies too much for her own sake. Ivanovic in 3. Ivanovic can't win an easy match, so can't be in 2 sets.

Serena-Ivanovic Finals: Someone needs to be an offensive player to beat Serena in a Final. Whereas in an ealier round, it's easier to beat Serena if Serena can't keep the ball in play. Ivanovic isn't a good enough offensive player.

Serena in 2, but I hope it goes at least 3 sets. The last decent final was in 2011, and the last 3 set Final was in 2001.

Hs0022

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Must say I have rarely seen such a long and comprehensively thought out post. Reminds me of the days of yore in the ESPN forum GrafSampras posts.

nuraman00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Must say I have rarely seen such a long and comprehensively thought out post. Reminds me of the days of yore in the ESPN forum GrafSampras posts.

Thanks.

I do this for every major.

Only once every few years though do the actual major match results closely follow my predictions. Usually a bad pick here and there and my draw predictions get busted.

Right now, with Haas, Wawrinka out, it's already messed up, haha. My pick for Ivanovic to have a good run could still happen though.