• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roger Goodell power to be stripped on discipline

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 65 is definitely the most popular, but I like 'em all up to about '69. Brother's friend had a few of the early 70s boattails with 454s. Those things drove like a boat, lol.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, it's a 66 Oldsmobile Toronado

View attachment 98150

I did like the early Rivieras too!

Dang, beat me to it Rex.

Was it the first FWD GM car? Or was it something like the Cord which I know is FWD but not sure if it is GM?

In 1967 (Canada's Centennial year) several Toronados were customized by George Barris to be called an Esso 67X. I think they raffled them off or something. Some sort of contest.

esso-67-x.jpg

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 65 is definitely the most popular, but I like 'em all up to about '69. Brother's friend had a few of the early 70s boattails with 454s. Those things drove like a boat, lol.

Back in high school a friend of mine drove his father's boat tail Riviera around. What a tank.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dang, beat me to it Rex.

Was it the first FWD GM car? Or was it something like the Cord which I know is FWD but not sure if it is GM?

Don't believe the Cord was a GM product and I do think that the Toronado was GM's first front wheel drive car as well as their first sub frame vehicle.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how the NFLPA thinks this will change anything.

The NFL will just give the duties to a guy like Vincient and then have Goodell or another NFL official will hear the appeal. It will change nothing.

It will just take the heat off the Commish a little. I am sure the NFL owners are a little sick of having one of the most successful commissioners constantly vilified in the public by fans who simply don't seem to understand the NFL is the employer and the players are the employees and that as the employer the NFL has broad discretion on how it handles employees who violate company policies.
But that will at least be seen as more appropriate by the judge/hearing officer the next time the Pats feel they are above all rules and choose to take the league to court

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record, you can't be stripped of something when your consent is needed to "give it away"
in the first place.

If the media wants to have an ideological war with the NFL, that does not mean you have to.
Au contraire...many a woman has stripped me of my pants with full consent...:nutswing:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ray Rice is interesting. There'd been DV all through sports before him. Brandon Marshall was a MUCH worse boyfriend. And Goodell figured how about a punishment tougher than the NBA, NHL, MLB, and NASCAR have given to ALL their DV players EVER COMBINED. And of course when the video came out, that wasn't enough. It didn't matter that the NFL was the only sport that really ever did anything there. I do think he underestimated how far people don't care unless they can have a video in front of them I guess.

But I don't think the hearing or appeal process has to be neutral. That's not what the players bargained for. You can't go to the bargaining table, saying "all I want is more money, more money" then after say "oh I want this too". I would be fine if the NFL did give some neutrality to save face, but if they decide the league metes out punishment because that's their job, then so be it. If I ever got in trouble at work, I'd love for my buddy to be the one to decide what happens, but that will fall on the company not him.

Not my intent, but I did open up the can on DV...imo the video created a public outcry and the NFL responded to that outcry. I get that part of the difference in the two cases. Hardy more or less got off on a technicality because the woman never showed up in court or changed her mind, but everyone knows he abused the woman in some form or fashion.

Neutral appeal...I disagree here. There's no need for an appeal if the same authority that handed down the original penance is overseeing the appeal...you have zero chance of ever winning. Yes, the players did sign off on it but negotiation is about give and take...theoretically the players should not get a chance to re-negotiate this until the current CBA expires.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Neutral appeal...I disagree here. There's no need for an appeal if the same authority that handed down the original penance is overseeing the appeal...you have zero chance of ever winning. Yes, the players did sign off on it but negotiation is about give and take...theoretically the players should not get a chance to re-negotiate this until the current CBA expires.

Even with Hardy you had a situation that the NFL treated much more harshly than other sports at the time. NHL had the Av's goalie playing through his DV incident. NBA had a player allegedly beat his girl with an Xbox and a bedroom fan. 0 games each. NFL suspended for 1/4 of a season on theirs. But it's about the public reaction to me, not the crime. The courts are there for the crimes, which is why something not necessary illegal can be bigger in the NFL.

I get the appeal process. But I think with the NFL it isn't so much to plead the same exact case in front of someone else but to show new evidence. That maybe the player made reparations and went into rehab, or that the supplement he was using was not labeled correctly, or things along those lines. I guess that's where I stand on what the NFL appeal should be. Suh, Goldson, Merriweather, Pacman, etc all had appeals that reduced their fines/suspensions, and I think that was a part. Or maybe just them taking the responsibility of the situation rather than fighting it.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will just take the heat off the Commish a little. I am sure the NFL owners are a little sick of having one of the most successful commissioners constantly vilified in the public by fans who simply don't seem to understand the NFL is the employer and the players are the employees and that as the employer the NFL has broad discretion on how it handles employees who violate company policies.

The NFL is a cartel of 32 separate entities. If the NFL is an employer of all the employees then they are operating in violation of federal law.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with Hardy you had a situation that the NFL treated much more harshly than other sports at the time. NHL had the Av's goalie playing through his DV incident. NBA had a player allegedly beat his girl with an Xbox and a bedroom fan. 0 games each. NFL suspended for 1/4 of a season on theirs. But it's about the public reaction to me, not the crime. The courts are there for the crimes, which is why something not necessary illegal can be bigger in the NFL.

I get the appeal process. But I think with the NFL it isn't so much to plead the same exact case in front of someone else but to show new evidence. That maybe the player made reparations and went into rehab, or that the supplement he was using was not labeled correctly, or things along those lines. I guess that's where I stand on what the NFL appeal should be. Suh, Goldson, Merriweather, Pacman, etc all had appeals that reduced their fines/suspensions, and I think that was a part. Or maybe just them taking the responsibility of the situation rather than fighting it.

Player code of conduct...I'm okay with the NFL having a more stringent policy...At one time the nba was rampant with coke back in the 70s and early 80s and Stern came down hard on the players and was known to rule with the iron fist. He cleaned up the league and today I don't here near as many legal run ins with as I once did...NHL...even less so public persona has not been as big a problem for those two leagues.

Where I do agree is letting the legal system run it's course and then taking action.

Appeal...that could be in play as well, but the system heavily favors the league...if you're a player...an approved panel just seems more fair.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Player code of conduct...I'm okay with the NFL having a more stringent policy...At one time the nba was rampant with coke back in the 70s and early 80s and Stern came down hard on the players and was known to rule with the iron fist. He cleaned up the league and today I don't here near as many legal run ins with as I once did...NHL...even less so public persona has not been as big a problem for those two leagues.

Where I do agree is letting the legal system run it's course and then taking action.

Appeal...that could be in play as well, but the system heavily favors the league...if you're a player...an approved panel just seems more fair.

Sorry my friend, comparing cocaine with the herb (if that's your allusion) is not even in the ball park.

I hate Stern anyway cause he dumped Bettstein on the NHL.....

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't know I had to use smileys for anyone to recognize sarcasm
Ummmm....Neither did I:scratch:
For the record I didn't think you really were Whitney Houston. You know, because she is dead and all...

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry my friend, comparing cocaine with the herb (if that's your allusion) is not even in the ball park.

I hate Stern anyway cause he dumped Bettstein on the NHL.....

You missed my point...but spot on in the coke vs pot comparison....never tried coke, but I've seen the effects on people I know well.

The post I was responding to mentioned NBA and NHL policies on player code of conduct on domestic violence as being less stringent than the NFL....I was showing where from whence the NBA had come...worse than the NFL at one point.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goodell should be thrilled by this news

Now he can do more what he was hired to do

And less babysitting cheaters and wife beaters