• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roger Goodell power to be stripped on discipline

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From now on Kraft decides all league punishment...and I'm sure Pats fans will still complain that they are being singled out and treated unfairly...

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how the NFLPA thinks this will change anything.

The NFL will just give the duties to a guy like Vincient and then have Goodell or another NFL official will hear the appeal. It will change nothing.

It will just take the heat off the Commish a little. I am sure the NFL owners are a little sick of having one of the most successful commissioners constantly vilified in the public by fans who simply don't seem to understand the NFL is the employer and the players are the employees and that as the employer the NFL has broad discretion on how it handles employees who violate company policies.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol @ stripped

The NFL(Goodell) is not giving up any power without getting something back in return.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Either the NFLPA is going to agree to extend the current CBA, extend the season, or extend contact practices during training camp & OTAs.

Last edited:

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds good. It's 1% of his job (though covered like it's all he does), it's a lose lose job, and it has no bearing on his abilities as a commissioner. I am glad the owners finally pulled that off his table.

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lm:

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny how the NFLPA thinks this will change anything.

The NFL will just give the duties to a guy like Vincient and then have Goodell or another NFL official will hear the appeal. It will change nothing.

It will just take the heat off the Commish a little. I am sure the NFL owners are a little sick of having one of the most successful commissioners constantly vilified in the public by fans who simply don't seem to understand the NFL is the employer and the players are the employees and that as the employer the NFL has broad discretion on how it handles employees who violate company policies.

You paint a really simple picture here, but it's not quite that simple.

Essentially players are independent contractors working on a contract basis.

The NFL can set policy when it comes to code of conduct, but players ultimately have to sign off for it to have any power. Ex....let's say the owners wanted a positive drug test to be 8 games, the players wanted 2 games and they settle on 4, thus 4 is policy.

The players granted the commish all power via the CBA...now they're trying to change that and reduce some of that power...negotiation will always have some give and take at this level.

The bottomline...if the NFLPA is able to reduce the commish power on discipline, they will have to give on another line item such as HGH testing (just used as an example)

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly on the post above. I think the NFL should give someone else the power to make those calls. Every other business does. Elon Musk isn't suspending a guy if he misses too many days of work. And we all saw in deflategate that Goodell really doesn't want that power either.

As for what the players give up for it.. that is interesting. I think with the injuries and links to CTE, that more hitting in practice or longer seasons are out the window right now. Not sure where they are with HGH testing but I am not sure that's a big enough give. The NFL could really care less about drug testing, it's the fans and people that call over that. As long as they can say the NFLPA is pushing back, it doesn't really matter.

What about better or more media access times? Or stricter off field incident rules?

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You paint a really simple picture here, but it's not quite that simple.

Essentially players are independent contractors working on a contract basis.

The NFL can set policy when it comes to code of conduct, but players ultimately have to sign off for it to have any power. Ex....let's say the owners wanted a positive drug test to be 8 games, the players wanted 2 games and they settle on 4, thus 4 is policy.

The players granted the commish all power via the CBA...now they're trying to change that and reduce some of that power...negotiation will always have some give and take at this level.

The bottomline...if the NFLPA is able to reduce the commish power on discipline, they will have to give on another line item such as HGH testing (just used as an example)

I know but in the end the NFLPA isn't winning anything for the players in this one.

If Goodell is the one who metes out discipline, or it is another NFL employee, do you really think anything changes?

Goodell has been demonized in terms of handing out punishments when anyone in his shoes would have done the exact same thing in most of these cases.

The simple fact is that when it changes hands it will take about 1 year and 2 or 3 cases before the NFLPA starts to complain again about how unfair the process is. Because the truth is the NFLPA aren't looking for fairness....they are looking to go back to the old days when no one was ever suspended. That ain't happening.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know but in the end the NFLPA isn't winning anything for the players in this one.

If Goodell is the one who metes out discipline, or it is another NFL employee, do you really think anything changes?

Goodell has been demonized in terms of handing out punishments when anyone in his shoes would have done the exact same thing in most of these cases.

The simple fact is that when it changes hands it will take about 1 year and 2 or 3 cases before the NFLPA starts to complain again about how unfair the process is. Because the truth is the NFLPA aren't looking for fairness....they are looking to go back to the old days when no one was ever suspended. That ain't happening.

I tend to agree that we're not going to see any wholesale changes, but basic stuff like the Commish hearing appeals...that makes zero sense....there should be an independent panel of say 3 people approved by both sides to hear an appeal.

Goodell...idk there are a few that he's really f'ed-up imo...Hardy and Ray Rice come to mine...I understand the talent level etc...but they kinda did the same crime...apparently deflategate was butchered.

I haven't drilled down into this enough to know what the NFLPA really wants, but more than anything the NFLPA is just trying to justify their existence.

Delphic1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFLPA can do whatever they want.

In the end the NFL is ruled by the owners, and they will make sure they either get something in return or find another way to screw the players.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I tend to agree that we're not going to see any wholesale changes, but basic stuff like the Commish hearing appeals...that makes zero sense....there should be an independent panel of say 3 people approved by both sides to hear an appeal.

Goodell...idk there are a few that he's really f'ed-up imo...Hardy and Ray Rice come to mine...I understand the talent level etc...but they kinda did the same crime...apparently deflategate was butchered.

I haven't drilled down into this enough to know what the NFLPA really wants, but more than anything the NFLPA is just trying to justify their existence.

Ray Rice is interesting. There'd been DV all through sports before him. Brandon Marshall was a MUCH worse boyfriend. And Goodell figured how about a punishment tougher than the NBA, NHL, MLB, and NASCAR have given to ALL their DV players EVER COMBINED. And of course when the video came out, that wasn't enough. It didn't matter that the NFL was the only sport that really ever did anything there. I do think he underestimated how far people don't care unless they can have a video in front of them I guess.

But I don't think the hearing or appeal process has to be neutral. That's not what the players bargained for. You can't go to the bargaining table, saying "all I want is more money, more money" then after say "oh I want this too". I would be fine if the NFL did give some neutrality to save face, but if they decide the league metes out punishment because that's their job, then so be it. If I ever got in trouble at work, I'd love for my buddy to be the one to decide what happens, but that will fall on the company not him.