• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Roger Goodell power to be stripped on discipline

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The NFL is a cartel of 32 separate entities. If the NFL is an employer of all the employees then they are operating in violation of federal law.

You're just mad because Brady cheated.

Rockinkuwait

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The post I was responding to mentioned NBA and NHL policies on player code of conduct on domestic violence as being less stringent than the NFL....I was showing where from whence the NBA had come...worse than the NFL at one point.

Well the NBA was basically non-existent in policing it's players and you saw in the later 90's early 2000's the image issues the league had. They were struggling a bit to expand and keep fans with that image. So they started all sorts of rules as a result. Dress Code rules, new mandatory autograph signing times before games, spending piles running those "NBA Cares" commercials, more availability of players to media, more team mandated charity events..

Really, I think Goodell saw that and rather than get into that situation and have to react, went a bit more assertively and worked to fight it before it became an issue.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the NBA was basically non-existent in policing it's players and you saw in the later 90's early 2000's the image issues the league had. They were struggling a bit to expand and keep fans with that image. So they started all sorts of rules as a result. Dress Code rules, new mandatory autograph signing times before games, spending piles running those "NBA Cares" commercials, more availability of players to media, more team mandated charity events..

Really, I think Goodell saw that and rather than get into that situation and have to react, went a bit more assertively and worked to fight it before it became an issue.

Not to get too far off the path on the NBA, but I was a big, big fan from the mid 70s thru the MJ era and cooled considerably after that...I'm one of those guys that feels Magic & Bird and that era of basketball really brought the NBA back from near dead...prior to that I remember watching finals series on tape delay.

NFL...At the end of the end of the day I think we're on the same page that the NFLPA is probably not going to gain much traction with this effort to usurp power if you will...the courts have already done some of that by reversing the Brady suspension....we can probably expect this to be a battle front for the players on the next CBA though.