• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ridiculous

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hunter.jpg

You can’t make this stuff up. The good news: 3-year-old Hunter Spanjer, who is deaf, knows how to sign his name. The bad news: His school says his hand sign looks too much like a gun and has asked him to change it.

The school, in Grand Island, Nebraska, is forcing Hunter to change the way he signs his name, because they say his gestures violate their weapons policy. Lunacy reigns supreme, America.

Hunter’s personalized name sign is a registered sign with Signing Exact English – a modified form of American Sign Language – and involves extended index fingers that the district says resembles a gun. “We are working with the parents to come to the best solution we can for the child,” said Jack Sheard, Grand Island Public Schools spokesperson. Really, Jack? I have a suggestion: Take your heads out of your butts and allow him to use the registered sign for his name. Problem solved.

As reported by 1011now.com, Grand Island’s “Weapons in Schools” Board Policy 8470 forbids “any instrument…that looks like a weapon.” But a three year-old’s hands? Here’s Hunter’s dad, Brian:

“He’s deaf, and his name sign, they say, is a violation of their weapons policy. It’s a symbol. It’s an actual sign, a registered sign, through S.E.E.”

Hunter’s parents say that by Monday, lawyers from the National Association of the Deaf are likely to weigh in for Hunter’s right to sign his own name.

Despite whatever rules and regulations may exist, some Grand Islanders said they don’t think it’s right to make a three year-old change the way he says his name.

“It’s his name. It’s not like he’s going to bring a gun to school when he’s three years old,” commented Dana Schwieger.

“I find it very difficult to believe that the sign language that shows his name resembles a gun in any way would even enter a child’s mind,” said Fredda Bartenbach.

First, an 8-year-old boy in Baltimore is suspended from school for allegedly chewing his Pop-Tart into the shape of a handgun. Then, a 6-year-old Massachusetts boy is forced to apologize for “traumatizing” his schoolmates on the bus by brandishing a tiny – the size of a quarter – Lego-figure gun. And now, a 3-year-old deaf child may be forced to change the only sign he knows for his name.

And all because of what? Overreaction? Politically correctness? Mass hysteria among school officials or just downright stupidity? Whatever the reason, does it really matter? The bottom line is this: This nonsense is out of control. Period. Get a grip, people.

I wonder if the sign for “get a grip” looks like an “assault” rifle?

School Says Deaf Boy's Name Sign Looks Too Much Like A Gun | Independent Journal Review

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm posting this not for the politics of gun control, but rather the ridiculousness of people trying to do the "right thing" and their interpretation of a rule.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Another kid (8 years old) was suspended for eating his Pop Tart so that it looked like a gun.

There is no other way to say it; the people who run schools these days are morons. Like 90% of the time. It's a prerequisite for being hired.

Last edited by a moderator:

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is funny how we think people were all crazy back in the day (thinking someone is a witch if they float and other such nonsense) yet we are seeing it every day in modern times. I feel like, when humanity looks back on this time, it will be known as "the stupid ages."

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it is funny how we think people were all crazy back in the day (thinking someone is a witch if they float and other such nonsense) yet we are seeing it every day in modern times. I feel like, when humanity looks back on this time, it will be known as "the stupid ages."

Unfortunately Tall, I don't think humanity will be around long enough to look back on these or any other days. If the weather or an asteroid doesn't get us then man will brilliantly cause his own extinction.

RobToxin

Roid Raging
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.08
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our society today is hell-bent on proving the Theory of Evolution is wrong.

No way a species this stupid can be the dominant species.

Maybe we are making a case for the Theory of De-evolution.

EaseUrStorm

Chief Imagination Officer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Too many schools are run so poorly from the top down right now its an outright embarassment. The system gives power to those in a subsidized pensionized lalaland existence. Naturally too many of these idiots placed in power shake things up for their own personal short term gains to get promoted to the next level to rinse and repeat and it leaves a huge mess behind. I know there's two sides to these stories and not all of these examples are probably the way they are pictured, but at that same time its not a coincidence that all these stories are coming out because it is a broken system, and especially in California.

optimist4720

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yet in the non-pensionized free enterprise espousing faith based bible belt bastion of Mississippi ..."Mississippi has a reputation of having the lowest ranked education system in the United States. In 2008, Mississippi ranked last in academic achievement by the American Legislative Exchange Council's Report Card on Education with the lowest average ACT score and the 6th lowest spending per pupil in the nation" . Facts are a bitch... Where would you rather go to "University of California any campus" or Mississippi any campus? Base you answer on facts and presitge.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Look, the problem here isn't that people are stupid or that these people are the biggest morons in the world. Any braindead hack knows that fingers shaped like a gun is no problem for anyone anywhere, everyone that was involved, or reads this story, knows the situation is ridiculous.

The problem is that school districts are *terrified* of lawsuits or any kind of trouble, and they are left with zero tolerance policies that don't allow the use of rational judgments. Trustees of the school districts tell the school boards to crack down on any possible breach, because school districts and their deep pockets were popular targets of lawsuits over the years.

The problem is zero tolerance policies, blood-sucking lawyers, and leeches that want to sue for millions at the first opportunity. Its not stupid people running the schools - they know better than anyone else that situations like this are ridiculous, and that they look stupid trying to enforce these crazy rules.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
who taught him the wrong way to sign in the first place?

is it hard to teach this kid the right way?

why did something so simple even have to go 'media'?

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Look, the problem here isn't that people are stupid or that these people are the biggest morons in the world. Any braindead hack knows that fingers shaped like a gun is no problem for anyone anywhere, everyone that was involved, or reads this story, knows the situation is ridiculous.

The problem is that school districts are *terrified* of lawsuits or any kind of trouble, and they are left with zero tolerance policies that don't allow the use of rational judgments. Trustees of the school districts tell the school boards to crack down on any possible breach, because school districts and their deep pockets were popular targets of lawsuits over the years.

The problem is zero tolerance policies, blood-sucking lawyers, and leeches that want to sue for millions at the first opportunity. Its not stupid people running the schools - they know better than anyone else that situations like this are ridiculous, and that they look stupid trying to enforce these crazy rules.

yep, these things are hyper sensitive, and they HAVE to address it.

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well the obvious solution if I were his father... hunter, your new sign name at school is ...

Gesture_raised_fist_with_middle_finger_lifted.jpg

maybe...

theshocker.jpg

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think this article is a fake.
1.) it's one of those websites where you can submit your own entries
2.) Never heard of a 3 year old going to public school

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Too many schools are run so poorly from the top down right now its an outright embarassment. The system gives power to those in a subsidized pensionized lalaland existence. Naturally too many of these idiots placed in power shake things up for their own personal short term gains to get promoted to the next level to rinse and repeat and it leaves a huge mess behind. I know there's two sides to these stories and not all of these examples are probably the way they are pictured, but at that same time its not a coincidence that all these stories are coming out because it is a broken system, and especially in California.

Wait, are we talking about schools or Congress?

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

My friend has deaf children, and they started going to school around that age. It's a public pre-school program ran by high school teachers and their students. I'm not justifying the validity of this particular article based on that, but I know my local community looks to socialize all children as early as possible, so it can't be completely discounted. Plus, as stated above, we know this type of lunacy occurs everyday when wrapped in red, bureaucratic Caution tape. ;)

4lifer9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

While it is not something that is done everywhere or even mandated, there are three year old school programs across the country. My gf is a pre-k teacher where I am from and if there is enough of a need in the household, a child as young as three can qualify for free schooling(public school)

For some reason I want to say I remember hearing about this several months ago.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
who taught him the wrong way to sign in the first place?

is it hard to teach this kid the right way?

why did something so simple even have to go 'media'?

I don't think he's signing incorrectly. My understanding was the actual sign for his name looks too much like a gun.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I don't think he's signing incorrectly. My understanding was the actual sign for his name looks too much like a gun.

I stand corrected, read it a second time and the above is correct.